Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2021, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for the K-5IIs. Used to be my main camera for some years. It's a great backup camera, and a fine camera on its own. I noticed better fine detail without the AA filter compared to the original K-5. You'll love the controls and layout. And it weighs less than 2 oz. more than my KP!

07-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I had an original model K-5 and then bought the K-30 for holidays & the like - Nevertheless, TBH, although the two bodies have the same sensor, I found the K-30 to be much more useable than the K-5 because of its later firmware and user-interface.

The K-30 then remained my "general purpose" body until retired when I got the K-70 - the K-3 & K-3 II being mainly used for airshows and the like where their later sensors, firmware, user-interface and better/faster AF and burst modes were more important.

OTOH, later versions of the K-5 are likely to be a lot "better" overall than an original K-5 (however, I "jumped" straight from that to the K-3, and then later to the K-3 II.
07-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmach47 Quote
I think y'all have convinced me to look at the K-5/K-3 set.
You can't go wrong there. Except I would not recommend the original K-5. Apparently the rear screen was very easy to scratch. They fixed that on the K-5II and IIs, along with other tweaks. I love my K-5IIs. It just feels great in my hands, and takes terrific pictures. Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K5IIs - PentaxForums.com
07-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would fix the K30 and flash the firmware with the hacked k50 version, or just get a K50. The repair looks daunting but it's really fairly simple. By doing that you can activate the KAF4 mount and can use lenses like the newer plm versions. BTW, if you don't repair your K30 you can flash it with the hacked K50 firmware and will be able to use it with manual lenses and the newer PLM lenses. It's just a backup camera that you said you hardly ever use.

07-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #20

I have a K-30 as my backup camera. It doesn't get used much, but I did notice it seems to have the "dark picture" issue. I've read the "how to replace the solenoid" thread and that looks rather daunting. What are some used alternatives I should look at? I want to stay in the Pentax digital stable as I have a bunch of K mount lenses for my primary camera (the K-1ii). I just need a backup digital camera that I would use very occasionally. I do like the small size of the K-30, and I can live with the not as large/nice sensor (as compared to my K-1ii). Oh, and I don't want to spend too much as this backup camera will mostly stay in my camera case.

Thanks for any feedback/ideas.
If you have a bunch of K mount lenses and some of them have aperture ring, you can just use those on your 'dark picture' issue K30. with M or Av mode. Also the M42 screw mount lenses can work.
07-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3ii has my vote.
07-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the idea of a backup camera that uses the same battery. I bought a little adaptor for AA batteries in the K-30, but I would not have to use ANYTHING different with the K-5/K-3 series.
For me that is one of the overriding features. On a paid gig it is one less thing to worry about if all the gear uses the same battery. I also greatly prefer that the controls are similar, so I don't have to think about things as much.

07-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a K5 when my K30 developed the aperture problem two years ago. I miss the K30 but no regrets with the K5.
07-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What paid gig?

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For me that is one of the overriding features. On a paid gig it is one less thing to worry about if all the gear uses the same battery. I also greatly prefer that the controls are similar, so I don't have to think about things as much.
OP is an amateur enjoying life and photographic hobby , and so am I.
I usually take random bodies with me , just for fun.
It is the very different story while traveling - one charger ( now I can even share new Pentax USB-C charger with my Mac power gear ) and common battery.
07-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Agree that hobby is different but for me whether it is personal or work I find myself more comfortable with gear that I understand well. My focus is really on the images not so much the gear. But I do understand the fun in trying out new or old) lenses and different cameras. It just isn't something that holds attraction for me, always seems like more work than play if I have to worry about figuring out how the camera works. Maybe I am old and boring...

Your point about traveling is very true. I am working toward having all my gear use the same charger. I'm not there quite yet but I think it will be doable in another year or so. Once my laptop can charge from USB I think it will be possible.
07-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #26

Original Poster
I usually take random bodies with me , just for fun.
It is the very different story while traveling - one charger ( now I can even share new Pentax USB-C charger with my Mac power gear ) and common battery.
I have a kit I take with me on travel. The "one battery to rule them all" is actually a great idea. I submitted a photo of my kit (and the storage case) on another thread). Hopefully, the K-5ii will fit in the same slot as my K-30.

Let's see if I can do this correct....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1-k-1-ii/428539-how-tough-k-1ii-2.html
07-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I have a kit I take with me on travel. The "one battery to rule them all" is actually a great idea. I submitted a photo of my kit (and the storage case) on another thread).
Absolutely. I have a K-3 and K-1, my wife has a K-5 and K-5ii. We have one place to recharge all our batteries, and when we trip, we take two or three extra batteries, which we can share based on who uses them most. On a 19 day trip, we actually pulled one battery that hadn't been used much out of a camera that hadn't been used as much to get through the trip without missing shot. The battery thing is pretty much the only thing that's stopped me from getting a K-P. It's a great camera otherwise.
07-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
And I belive the K7/K5 series cameras are slightly smaller than K30.
No , they are not , they are flagship range.
Much bigger and heavier than K-30/K-50
Yeah right. Much bigger and heavier...

K7/K5 is 130.5 x 96.5 x 72.5 mm. 660-670 g
K30 is 130 x 97 x 71 mm, 650 g
K50 is 129 x 96.5 x 70 mm, 650 g.
YEAH wrong:

K7 with battery: 750g
K5 with battery: 740g
K30/50 w. battery: 650g

You cannot just copy weights without searching is it with or without battery!
Size won't matter that much, the difference is minor.

What weights with the K7/5 is:
- stepper motor instead of solenoid
- connectors for BG
- top LCD
- larger battery
So we have 100g = 15% more weight for the K7 compared to the K30/50!
07-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #29

Original Poster
I am more interested in the size difference since I made a nice slot for the K-30 in my case.
07-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #30

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I would fix the K30 and flash the firmware with the hacked k50 version, or just get a K50. The repair looks daunting but it's really fairly simple. By doing that you can activate the KAF4 mount and can use lenses like the newer plm versions. BTW, if you don't repair your K30 you can flash it with the hacked K50 firmware and will be able to use it with manual lenses and the newer PLM lenses. It's just a backup camera that you said you hardly ever use.
I would not recommend a K-50: It is just as likely as the K-30 to develop the dark frame disease. I own a K-30 and a K-50 and they’ve both had it.