Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2021, 12:05 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmach47 Quote
I am more interested in the size difference since I made a nice slot for the K-30 in my case.
That was not my point writing this reply.
It is about wrong information which then sticks in the www!

Anyway, the difference in size is minor, you might well be able to use that slot for any K5 (which I'd prefer over the K7, the sensor of the K5 is similar and has some magic. In the K5IIs it comes to its magic, the best DSLR ever produced with this sensor.
And then you could use the K30 if ever you want a KAF4 lens!
They won't work on the K5! No firmware update, which was the biggest sacrilege Ricoh ever produced!

@ERN: He has a K30 with ABF, that's the whole point why he started this thread because he feels it's daunting to take on the repair
It isn't really, once taken on, it is logical.

07-21-2021, 06:33 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
...the difference in size is minor, you might well be able to use that slot for any K5 (which I'd prefer over the K7, the sensor of the K5 is similar and has some magic. In the K5IIs it comes to its magic, the best DSLR ever produced with this sensor...They won't work on the K5! No firmware update, which was the biggest sacrilege Ricoh ever produced!...It isn't really, once taken on, it is logical.
1. Good to hear that the size is about the same. Given I'm putting the camera into foam, it looks like it should be okay.
2. I'm sorry if I came across wrong. I'm just interested in a simple replacement for the broken K-30.
3. The repair IS daunting if your hands are not as steady as they once were. Surprisingly (or not...), the part I would be looking forward to is the desoldering/soldering bit. It's been a while since I had fun with a soldering iron. It's just all those little screws that I KNOW I would lose in the case. I'm clumsy that way. Also, I'm at a stage in my life where I have more money than time, so a replacement would be preferable over a repair. Had this been 20+ years ago, I'd opted for the repair. There are advantages to the kids finally moving out and start to pay taxes....
07-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
YEAH wrong:

K7 with battery: 750g
K5 with battery: 740g
K30/50 w. battery: 650g

You cannot just copy weights without searching is it with or without battery!
Size won't matter that much, the difference is minor.

What weights with the K7/5 is:
- stepper motor instead of solenoid
- connectors for BG
- top LCD
- larger battery
So we have 100g = 15% more weight for the K7 compared to the K30/50!
The point is as a backup camera for K1 you may not need any extra battery for K7/K5 series cameras. You can use the same batteries you have for K1.
For K30/K50 you need extra batteries as they use a different battery. So in the end the weight of using K7/K5 as a backup for K1 is neglectible from using K30/K50.
07-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The point is as a backup camera for K1 you may not need any extra battery for K7/K5 series cameras. You can use the same batteries you have for K1.
For K30/K50 you need extra batteries as they use a different battery. So in the end the weight of using K7/K5 as a backup for K1 is neglectible from using K30/K50.
C'mon, you don't want to tell me that when you travel with your K1 and a K5 as backup you won't take the K5 with its battery but leave it at home because the K1 battery fits.

But my post was ONLY correcting weights which weren't correct.

I have (aside of my KP) both, the K30 and the K5IIs (plus a K3)

Although the K30 uses the same battery as the KP, the K5IIs is my backup because it is better.
So I know how they feel against each other, how much they weigh in your hands etc.

K5IIs is still my favourite how it fits into my hands.

07-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would take 2-3 batteries for K1, and if I use a backup camera using the same type of battery I probably not take any more.
If I had a K30/K50 as a backup I would take 2-3 batteries for it too.

So using two types of batteries it definitely adds to the weight. Plus the need for another charger if it is more than a weekend or if I know I will capture a lot of shots.
07-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. Good to hear that the size is about the same. Given I'm putting the camera into foam, it looks like it should be okay.
2. I'm sorry if I came across wrong. I'm just interested in a simple replacement for the broken K-30.
3. The repair IS daunting if your hands are not as steady as they once were. Surprisingly (or not...), the part I would be looking forward to is the desoldering/soldering bit. It's been a while since I had fun with a soldering iron. It's just all those little screws that I KNOW I would lose in the case. I'm clumsy that way. Also, I'm at a stage in my life where I have more money than time, so a replacement would be preferable over a repair. Had this been 20+ years ago, I'd opted for the repair. There are advantages to the kids finally moving out and start to pay taxes....
Well, maybe you try both, the repair is cheap and what worries you is very easy to be solved:
You just print out photos of all the sides of your K30 as in the tutorial, it shows the position of the screws.
Then you glue those photos onto some cardboard, pinch holes with a AAA Philips to insert the screws right there screw by screw.
With the tip of your JIS 00 or 000 (or PH00 + 000) magnetised they won't fall off.
Or you get one of your now grown up kids doing it?
Pencil-tip for the soldering-iron is a must!
07-24-2021, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #37

Original Poster
Well, maybe you try both
I sprung for an eBay K-5ii. I'll keep the K-30 and will eventually try and fix it. Now that I will have the K-5ii as my backup, repairing the K-30 won't be a life/death thing. I'll add it to my list of "fun things to do". If I succeed, I'll feel good about doing the repair (and I'll brag about it), if I fail, no one will ever know (I'll bury the evident under some endangered plants so no one will ever find the evidence...)

07-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #38

Original Poster
Well I up 'n got the K-5ii. Works really nice. It feels quite a bit heavier than the K-30. I will keep the K-30 around to do the repair (when I get the chance).
08-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-30 as my backup camera. It doesn't get used much, but I did notice it seems to have the "dark picture" issue. I've read the "how to replace the solenoid" thread and that looks rather daunting. What are some used alternatives I should look at? I want to stay in the Pentax digital stable as I have a bunch of K mount lenses for my primary camera (the K-1ii). I just need a backup digital camera that I would use very occasionally. I do like the small size of the K-30, and I can live with the not as large/nice sensor (as compared to my K-1ii). Oh, and I don't want to spend too much as this backup camera will mostly stay in my camera case.

Thanks for any feedback/ideas.
In some sense, I faced the same issue. My primary camera is a KP while I am still backing it up with my K-30. Now, my K-30 started facing "Dark Image Syndrome" issues before I got the KP.
I got a FA 28-105mm lens - and already had a Sigma 70-300mm lens - and now control the aperture using the lens, so my K-30 is totally usable any time I choose to use it.
That way, I didn't have to learn the idiosyncrasies of a new camera, just the new idiosyncrasies of an old one, and I could always move my lenses to a K-1 if I ever got one.
08-01-2021, 03:56 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I up 'n got the K-5ii. Works really nice. It feels quite a bit heavier than the K-30. I will keep the K-30 around to do the repair (when I get the chance).
The K5II is a great Pentax. The only advantage you have with the K30 (if repaired) is KAF4 ability with "our" 1.10 firmware.
And yes, the K30 is that bit lighter, but I never felt that was a problem (I still have the K5IIs).

Now, with the K5II as your main body, you maybe dare with less daunting fear to take on the DIY repair.
It is actually much easier than you think.
Good luck.
08-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #41
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

or not - put an OEM M42 to K adapter on the K-30 and make it your fully-manual body....
08-02-2021, 04:18 AM   #42

Coming from the very light weight K-x & K-r, I recently purchased a minty low shutter-count K-5IIs to be my primary camera. I've always valued having a light weight kit to carry, so to my surprise, I've found the additional in-hand weight of the K-5IIs to be almost insignificant while carrying it in the field.

A wonderful camera overall!