Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use them and some times would like to use them more but often forget to pack them. I view them as something to use to solve specific problems or create specific effects but that is how I use all filters. Most of the time it is just a hood hanging out in front for the lens. The only lens that I own that I always use a filter with is my big 400 but it takes a drop in filter and the optical formula for that lens expects there to be some filter there so I have the best UV filter I could buy locally and just leave it there.

07-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
?????
I find the LPL filters rom my film days very effective on a DSLR, even though I have been told they are not supposed to work with digital cameras. Looking at the price of a quality 82mm CPL I shall stick with what I have. I certainly dont leave it on all the time though.
I don't think anybody is saying a linear polarizer is "not supposed to work" on a digital camera, rather than in some cases can be incompatible with accurate operation of some digital or film SLR components used for viewing, AF or metering on some models. Regardless of camera, if you use manual exposure and focus I don't think the results will be different from a circular polarizer.
07-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
This ! and wont use it on pano shots, same issue.
Excellent point. Since I tend to suck at pano's, it's seldom that I think about that anyway.
07-19-2021, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
It seems that there is not all that much love for polarizers.
I seem to have fallen out of love with it. Initially it was a favourite tool, now, unless I need it to see through water or kill a reflection, I would rather not use one as I find I have to undo some of the work it does

07-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
It seems that there is not all that much love for polarizers.
I guess that's good. A polarizer is just another tool in the tool kit that can be useful in certain circumstances. Until the OP asked the question, I had no idea that some might think it should stay on all the time, at least the OP seemed to have that thought.
07-20-2021, 12:20 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't think anybody is saying a linear polarizer is "not supposed to work" on a digital camera, rather than in some cases can be incompatible with accurate operation of some digital or film SLR components used for viewing, AF or metering on some models. Regardless of camera, if you use manual exposure and focus I don't think the results will be different from a circular polarizer.
This, and if used in complete manual mode, the results could, arguably be better, as there is one less layer in the path, that the light has to pass through.