Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2021, 06:45 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's the other way around - "when do I put my CPL on"? CPLs can be a source color bias and they are an image "effect" filter which changes an image from its natural state. I use mine when I want to enhance sky contrast or kill certain reflections (again enhancing contrast), but otherwise, I don't use a CPL. They also have application in some telephoto shots to help with haze reduction but the sun has to be at the correct angle to accomplish this.

07-18-2021, 07:08 AM   #32
dlhawes

I use UV filters all the time and almost never take 'em off. I have a CPL for a couple of lenses, but, echoing what others have said, rarely find a good use for it and I find that its effects are not worth the bother. The only time I've found it really useful was when I was taking pictures in a parking lot full of antique cars with all sorts of shiny stuff on 'em in harsh sunlight. Even then, it didn't do that much.
07-18-2021, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OF course it depends on the situation, CPL's primarily reduce glare and allow the user to manipulate reflections on transparent/translucent surfaces such as windows or water.
07-18-2021, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #34

4) because Pentax cameras don't "need" a circular polariser!

A member noted the above earlier in this chain-
Could someone explain this please?
I guess I’m too naive...

07-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote

A member noted the above earlier in this chain-
Could someone explain this please?
I guess I'm too naïve...
Lol, I think the poster isn't a fan of CPLs it was in reference both to your original question and the fact that sometimes there are better options, hence Pentax cameras not needing a cpl as such, using one is more of a choice thing
07-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #36

Do you ever take off your CPL filter?

QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
Do you ever take off your cpl filter or is it just a part of your lens at this point?
Is this a serious question? In all situations, where you do not want to reduce reflections, it only takes almost two stops, either in time or in aperture.

BR Nuftur
07-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Only for reflections now

Used to use them constantly in film days when working in color for landscape. The first time I used one with digital I was put off by the result, and digital post processing gives me much of what I want in a landscape shot. So, now they are important but occasional tools in my pro work to eliminate glare on a work of art (along with polarized lights) or reflections in casework for gallery installation shots.

07-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Lol, I think the poster isn't a fan of CPLs it was in reference both to your original question and the fact that sometimes there are better options, hence Pentax cameras not needing a cpl as such, using one is more of a choice thing
Haha
It's not so much a case of "not being a fan" as objecting to the often re-iterated misinformation that a circular polariser is "needed" on a "modern" camera and using this "fact" to justify the often exhorbitant prices charged for circular polarisers, when a perfectly serviceable linear polariser may well already be owned and, if not, usually readily available, albeit second-hand, at a fraction of the price.
I've no doubt there are cameras from "alternative" manufacturers that won't work reliably (if at all) with a linear polariser, fortunately, this is not the case with Pentax
07-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Haha
It's not so much a case of "not being a fan" as objecting to the often re-iterated misinformation that a circular polariser is "needed" on a "modern" camera and using this "fact" to justify the often exhorbitant prices charged for circular polarisers, when a perfectly serviceable linear polariser may well already be owned and, if not, usually readily available, albeit second-hand, at a fraction of the price.
I've no doubt there are cameras from "alternative" manufacturers that won't work reliably (if at all) with a linear polariser, fortunately, this is not the case with Pentax
I buy cheap Hoya cpl because I am a cheapskate lolol. I actually don’t have any linear ones. Time to invest. Re cpol, I used one a lot early on, but lately.....I find if I am shooting limiteds or HD glass the image has enough saturation already.
07-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #40

I only use them if I want to accentuate the blue in the sky. Apart from that I'm not 100% convinced that they make the picture better
07-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I use a polarizer somewhat frequently, more for reducing reflections on foliage than for skies. However if I don't see a benefit in a situation I normally remove it, since I don't want to lose any light I don't have to. Sometimes I want to use MF and want light for that; other times I want to limit the higher ISOs I have to use anyway to reduce subject motion (leaves, for example.) Of course sometimes I have to moderate the polarizer effect due to it removing too much reflection, usually from water. Other times the polarizer seems to remove at most about 90% of what I need it to no matter what I do. And annoyingly, about half the time I forget to adjust the polarizer entirely, so I get a completely random effect. Sometimes I'll realize that in time to reshoot; sometimes not.
07-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tend to shoot a lot in low light, so the extra light loss from a polarizer means I almost never have it attached.
07-18-2021, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi, I use CPLs quite a lot. The true colours come through a lot more. The hot sun in Australia can put glare on subjects, which destroys both detail and saturation.

I almost never use them on wide angles which include sky, because the amount of polarized light is never the same across the width of the frame.
07-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Instagram is not the target for my images.
?????
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
?????
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
The only time I've found it really useful was when I was taking pictures in a parking lot full of antique cars with all sorts of shiny stuff on 'em in harsh sunlight. Even then, it didn't do that much.
I find a big difference, but I've also seen demonstrations that show big differences in quality (=effectiveness) of polarising filters. Some are quite weak. Mine are Hoya linear polarisers from the 1980s - there may be some better but I'm sure there are some far worse.

I take a lot of technical/engineering pictures (digital) and use a LPL to reduce glare from metal and painted surfaces. I am not trying to be arty, just want to show detail with no distraction. I also do landscape and might use it to reduce the bright reflections from leaves. As the filter is rotatated, a field of grass for example looks hugely different at the different angles.

I find the LPL filters rom my film days very effective on a DSLR, even though I have been told they are not supposed to work with digital cameras. Looking at the price of a quality 82mm CPL I shall stick with what I have. I certainly dont leave it on all the time though.
07-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #45
Pentaxian

It seems that there is not all that much love for polarizers.