Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In 2019, flickr's best picture of the year as voted on by Flickr users, was taken with a K-x and a DA 18-55.
Can you point someone looking for that picture in the right direction? I've gone through a page of google results, but couldn't find it. I saw one on a blog mentioning Pentax, but also CCD sensor (pic of a cyan blue wave), but none that mentioned the K-x

07-22-2021, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen amazing landscape photos taken with a Nikon d3200. Imo gear while being important, cannot replace being in the right spot at the right time.

To me this is a pretty beautiful image shot on a pretty old apsc camera:
500px
07-22-2021, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Being in the right spot at the right time, is often more important than the lenses used. In this day and age of computer design, it's hard to find truly bad new lenses.
In 2019, flickr's best picture of the year as voted on by Flickr users, was taken with a K-x and a DA 18-55. It's important to have kit that supports the way you shoot, but optically, modern glass is all impressive.

You will never again see glass like my screw mount Vivitar 50-150, my first zoom. It was truely awful, and barely better than enlarging images from my 55 1.7.
100 percent agree... about "f8 and be there". Unfortunately these days I have less opportunity to "be there" and more opportunity to sit at my desk and obsess about the equipment I'll take when I actually do get there. Another thing I hope to change in the not-to-distant future.
07-22-2021, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Can you point someone looking for that picture in the right direction? I've gone through a page of google results, but couldn't find it. I saw one on a blog mentioning Pentax, but also CCD sensor (pic of a cyan blue wave), but none that mentioned the K-x
Announcing the winners of our 2019 Your Best Shot Contest | Flickr Blog Click the image. The Exif shows K-x.

07-22-2021, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Sadly I can't find anything. Which is weird, because the guy who took it actually turned up here on the forum and accepted our congratulations for a while.

Way to go UnkieV, you out did me.
07-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ah yes that's the one I saw, but it quoted the photographer saying he liked the images from CCD cameras... must have misunderstood that to say the photo was done with one.
07-22-2021, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah yes that's the one I saw, but it quoted the photographer saying he liked the images from CCD cameras... must have misunderstood that to say the photo was done with one.
I did too but clicking through I saw the Exif. Looking at other images he seems to use a variety of bodies many are ccd.

07-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kanyck Quote
Let me get in with a question. I wander if FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro is good for landscapes? I prioritize a natural and 3D look, one that is, let's say, recognizable. Are there owners of this lens here? What would be your suggestions?
I can't see why it wouldn't. In fact I've just picked up a used 'as new' condition Sigma 50 mm 2.8 macro which will do duty as both macro and landscape lens on my K-1... Macros are always very sharp and it baffles me as to why they are not used all the time for landscapes! There are some good examples on Flickr if you take the time to look them up. In short, use the 50mm macro - you'll be amazed at what a cheap prime macro will be able to render in your landscape photography!
07-23-2021, 12:12 AM   #54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
I can't see why it wouldn't.
Me neither. However I wanted to get some owner's opinion. Sure I'll look at photos before purchasing, I always do that. However, at least 95% would be macro shots or cats, not landscapes. (And yes, I do like cats! But not when I'm looking for ladnscapes). And there may be some details I'm not aware of. Like shooting women with macro lens usually is not a good idea because of over-detailed output image the model may not like. Aged men are good to go, though))) That's why I'm asking.
07-23-2021, 04:59 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kanyck Quote
Me neither. However I wanted to get some owner's opinion. Sure I'll look at photos before purchasing, I always do that. However, at least 95% would be macro shots or cats, not landscapes. (And yes, I do like cats! But not when I'm looking for ladnscapes). And there may be some details I'm not aware of. Like shooting women with macro lens usually is not a good idea because of over-detailed output image the model may not like. Aged men are good to go, though))) That's why I'm asking.
The weakness of macro lenses is transitions and out of focus areas. If your landscape doesn't have any of those then a macro should do fine.

Last edited by normhead; 07-23-2021 at 05:10 AM.
07-24-2021, 02:23 AM   #56
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
transitions and out of focus areas
Thanks normhead. That's what I wanted to know.