Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2021, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Save for 2 months and after a diligent search online- buy a KP- they can be found for $600.
If you can't wait that long spend $100 for a K10D body and enjoy the ccd experience while you save for a KP or what ever you decide you want.
Then you will have an interesting/useable back up body and a whiz-bang KP. JMH advice.

07-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d say I f you don’t need GPS or pixel shift, go for an original K-3. I had a K-5 before my K-3II and while the K-5 was a great camera, the K-3II was undoubtedly a step up. Having had both models, I’ve never seen any dynamic range or noise issues related to low light in practical use. My 20-40 Limited was very good on the K-5; but it’s stellar on the K-3II.
07-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kathemy Quote
Heavy and bulky is just a plus for me. I love heavy gear. I like the stability of it all and I'm a decently big guy working as a miller in industrial production.

I will get a K-1, it's just a matter of when.

And well, I think I sort of sealed it.

K-5 was my dream camera. I couldn't afford it back then when brand new. It's aged well, I think. A K-5ii or iis even better but I'm sure I'll love having one.
Judging from all your statements, the type of subject matter, the lenses you use, etc. I recommend the K-5 IIs, or the original K-3. I've had many Pentax bodies over the years. Having used the K20D and K200D for a number of years, I bought both the K-5 then later the K-5 IIs when the K-3 arrived, as new leftover closeout specials. I found the lack of AA filter in the K-5 IIs made a difference in fine detail compared to the original K-5 and all previous models. The AF was also upgraded, plus a few other advancements. All models since omit the AA filter, and it appears to me that is in part responsible for their improved imaging. With some patience, you should be able to find a low-use K-5 IIs in fine shape at a reasonable price. You will love its controls and layout. From what you've said, you would not really need the extra-fast AF of PLM lenses. My current main, most-used body is the KP, but I still enjoy using my K-5 IIs, at times when I especially want the handiness of those controls, its image quality is still that satisfying.

Then, since you actually like the heavier weight, just patiently save up your money and buy a K-1 II. I bought one late last year with its DFA 28-105 kit lens. A great camera. But APS-C still has its own advantages, especially when working in the tele range, in terms of "reach" with lighter, less expensive lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-19-2021 at 02:06 PM.
07-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My two cents (fraction of a krone): I went from a K-5 to the K-3 when the K-3 came out, and NEVER considered looking back. I'm not sure about shipping to Sweden, but there are K-3's on US Ebay for around $300.

I think you'd love one (and its heft )

07-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I've been more than happy for several months now with my K3 and battery grip - whichever lens I put on, it feels well-balanced, the controls are well placed and easily learned (after K10 and K20), and the results are even better than I expected or hoped for. One (very) minor drawback is that the battery grip has no place for the remote control, but other than that (and the remote on a lanyard goes in a pocket) 100% satisfied. At my age, and on a pension, it'll be the final camera I ever get.
07-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . . (I have a lot of legacy glass.). . .
I have found these charts to be helpful to review:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
07-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest a K70.

07-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I've been more than happy for several months now with my K3 and battery grip - whichever lens I put on, it feels well-balanced, the controls are well placed and easily learned (after K10 and K20), and the results are even better than I expected or hoped for. One (very) minor drawback is that the battery grip has no place for the remote control, but other than that (and the remote on a lanyard goes in a pocket) 100% satisfied. At my age, and on a pension, it'll be the final camera I ever get.
The older “Pentax remote control c set” has a design you can add to a strap. I prefer that one to the F personally. It would let you easily make sure your remote is with your k3 always.

PENTAX REMOTE CONTROL C SET -** NEW IN BOX** | eBay

Not related to seller in any way.
07-19-2021, 10:00 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would pick a body new enough to work with the newest lenses.
07-20-2021, 01:21 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One more voice pointing out that the K-1 (which you seem to know that you really want) may be closer to your budget than you think. I paid $900 for mine used from KEH last year. I have been thrilled.
It was a gigantic upgrade (overall IQ, dynamic range, higher usable ISO, leeway to crop, AF, SR) from my K-01 before it, which I believe is a similar sensor to the K-5 you're considering. If the K-1 is what you want, you may not be satisfied for very long with the older system. Then again, if you've been happy with your K-30 files, you may be just fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
If you are a CNC tech , you should be able to ask for a raise. In my part of the country companies are looking for qualified machinists
Heh... Yeah, in my (quite relevant) experience it's not hard to find shops that are "looking" for qualified machinists, but that has little to do with whether they are "looking" to start paying people more. It's not an industry noted for treating its workers well. I can hope things are better in Sweden.
07-20-2021, 01:42 AM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
One more voice pointing out that the K-1 (which you seem to know that you really want) may be closer to your budget than you think. I paid $900 for mine used from KEH last year. I have been thrilled.
It was a gigantic upgrade (overall IQ, dynamic range, higher usable ISO, leeway to crop, AF, SR) from my K-01 before it, which I believe is a similar sensor to the K-5 you're considering. If the K-1 is what you want, you may not be satisfied for very long with the older system. Then again, if you've been happy with your K-30 files, you may be just fine.

Heh... Yeah, in my (quite relevant) experience it's not hard to find shops that are "looking" for qualified machinists, but that has little to do with whether they are "looking" to start paying people more. It's not an industry noted for treating its workers well. I can hope things are better in Sweden.
Oh, it kinda ain't here either. I'm criminally underpaid to be honest, but I like my job, I like the shop, I like my work pals. I make around 3K a month before taxes.

The K10D is an interesting suggestion as a quick fix. Actually almost bought an *ist DS for the novelty of being able to use old flashes a week ago but seller didn't seem trustworthy.
07-20-2021, 01:52 AM   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
What I "really want" is a K-1 but that is outside my price range unless I save up for a while. (I have a lot of legacy glass.)
I'd hold out for the K1... you'll have no regrets IMHO.
07-20-2021, 02:04 AM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . The K10D is an interesting suggestion as a quick fix. . . .
the K 10D is an interesting option -

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K10D was the first DSLR from Pentax to feature a sensor with a resolution higher than 6 megapixels. It also launched a host of new innovative features which would later become standard on all Pentax bodies, such as Shake Reduction and Dust Removal.

It won the Camera Grand Prix Japan "Camera of the Year" award in 2007, and a special brown version with gold lettering was produced to commemorate this.
Read more at: Pentax K10D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

it uses the CCD Sensor and has 10.2 Megapixels

QuoteQuote:
The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club...
Not too many people shoot them anymore, as no one's making them at this point... but the CCD sensor cameras have a loyal following (some would say obsession) from its fans (crazy? luddites?).

If you love the images you get from your CCD sensor camera, be it a tiny point and shoot or a giant sensor 645D or even a full medium format back, post here and wax poetic about the virtues of a technology that was replaced by a lower cost, video-friendly alternative (CMOS)...
The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club... - Page 64 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
The K10D Club!
Hello All,
This thread is dedicated to a very important part of the Pentax DSLR history; The venerable K10D.
The 'Ten' is significant in many ways; Introduced in late 2006, it featured a CCD sensor of 10.2MP, ISO range of 100-1600 and had AF assist with SDM lenses. It was the first Pentax DSLR with shake reduction, dust removal, had 2 control wheels and used a D-L150 lithium battery rather than 4 x AA's. These were all upgrades from the previous flagship model, the *ist DS2. It came in a sturdy, somewhat squared-off body design that contrasted with the popular curved designs of the time. There was an optional BG2 battery grip available which doubled the shooting time, had a vertical-position shutter release and duplicated the main exposure controls and wheels in portrait orientation.
The K10D garnered great reviews from many testers and won several major awards, including the 'Best Expert Digital SLR' 2007 from TIPA, European Camera Of The Year, American Photo's Editor's Choice for 'Best Advanced Digital SLR' and the prestigious Camera Grand Prix 'Camera Of The Year' 2007. This award resulted in a limited edition brown 'Grand Prix' version by Pentax, released in 2007.
It was succeeded by the K20D in 2008.

The MSRP for the K10D at launch was $1,379 US and the 'street' price around $900 - $1,000. The kit lens offered was the first version of the DA 18-55mm.

In features, MP and price, it compared to the Sony a100, Nikon D80, Canon Rebel XTi and Olympus E400. But the performance soon had it being tested (favorably!) against higher-priced models of the competition, like the Nikon D200 and Canon EOS 30D.

By modern standards, the specs are quite modest. AF sensitivity -1 to 18 EV, shutter speed 30s to 1/4000s, burst shooting rate 3 fps in jpeg, no HDR, no LV, no video capabilities, no lens correction, no TTL. The high-ISO performance is lacking, compared to the contemporary cameras.
Still, over time the respect for this fine digital body has grown widely. Used within its limitations, the CCD sensor delivers RAW images that are truly magical and if the ISO is kept at the lower end, the colors, saturation and rendering are unmatched for beauty. It can be, under ideal conditions, more film-like in rendering than most CMOS-equipped cameras, even the most modern ones.

Hopefully this thread will provide a place for K10D users to discuss their experiences, and post examples of photos taken with the Ten.
The K10D lives on!
Ron
The K10D Club! - Page 494 - PentaxForums.com
07-20-2021, 02:09 AM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Ten megapixels was just where I figured that "I can produce good pictures and I don't really need much more." I had an Oly e-400 with 10mp and all I craved for from that machine was shake reduction.
07-20-2021, 02:55 AM   #45
Forum Member

The K1 is the bomb.

Perfect for landscapes, portraits and still life.

Great for astro.

Good for wildlife if you can deal with the slightly sluggish auto focus.