Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2021, 09:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Having no idea if Ricoh are thinking about the new Pentax K1. The K1 is pretty good already. Any improvement, i.e without removing what's already good, would be welcomed , and would be luxury.

---------- Post added 20-07-21 at 06:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
I'm expecting most of the new features you mention, with the exception of the 12fps.
Yep. I believe the same.

07-19-2021, 09:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Surely they are working on it, but using all K3iii features and a little more makes for a pricey camera. A lower end FF camera could cover bases below K1 and help selling FF lenses.
Let’s see the next lenses and what happens in 645 land to get a better idea.
07-20-2021, 01:08 AM   #18
Forum Member

Just a thought, but a detachable screen that connected with your camera only would be ideal. You could focus on a shot, change perameters and snap the picture on the fly. Never worrying about camera shake.
07-20-2021, 01:30 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
On this one I would have to say "NO, please NO" to a split-image focus screen. Back in the 1970s I had a Pentax K2 with a central microprism focusing screen. When those "bubbles" popped clear, I pressed the shutter butter with great confidence. My K2 was stolen, the model had been discontinued, and I had to buy an ME. It had a split screen focusing system (cannot remember if it was vertical or horizontal) and it always took me longer to decide when to press the shutter button, and I was never really confident that I had nailed the focus.
Why not have both microprism and split screen? My Ricoh KR-10 did with the split screen at 45 degrees.

07-20-2021, 02:49 AM   #20
Forum Member

I think that bending is much more important than touch screen. Provided than with k-3-3 one can tune all the most important parameters while looking thru the VF...
07-20-2021, 06:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDish Quote
Just a thought, but a detachable screen that connected with your camera only would be ideal. You could focus on a shot, change perameters and snap the picture on the fly. Never worrying about camera shake.
Ummm, you mean like using your phone or tablet to control the camera over WiFi using the ImageSync app?

QuoteOriginally posted by kanyck Quote
I think that bending is much more important than touch screen. Provided than with k-3-3 one can tune all the most important parameters while looking thru the VF...
I suspect that the APS-C flagship line, with its focus on portability and action shooting through the OVF will remain the model without a flippy screen and that the K-1 iii will have some form of flippy screen. (The additional eye relief gained on the K-3 iii by not having a flippy screen is really helpful for the large OVF. A number of people who had wished for a flippy screen before release are now happy with what we have since they have the camera in their hands.)
07-20-2021, 06:17 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
" (The additional eye relief gained on the K-3 iii by not having a flippy screen is really helpful for the large OVF."

The new pentaprism design/shape/size probably has more to do with eye relief than the fixed screen. JMHO.

At least one person with the K3iii still misses an articulated screen- me .

07-20-2021, 06:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
" (The additional eye relief gained on the K-3 iii by not having a flippy screen is really helpful for the large OVF."

The new pentaprism design/shape/size probably has more to do with eye relief than the fixed screen. JMHO.

At least one person with the K3iii still misses an articulated screen- me .
If you go through all of the product stories, you will see that they explicitly say that the decision to omit the flippy screen was what enabled increased eye relief.

Have you used ImageSync on a smartphone or tablet yet in lieu of a flippy screen? It works quite well for me.
07-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
If you go through all of the product stories, you will see that they explicitly say that the decision to omit the flippy screen was what enabled increased eye relief.

Have you used ImageSync on a smartphone or tablet yet in lieu of a flippy screen? It works quite well for me.
I don't think it is a simple trade off, the prism design may have necessitated it- but the screen has nothing to do with eye relief- as I understand eye relief.
The new prism takes up much more space inside, so maybe to keep the large screen? Anyway- I am stuck with the fixed screen.

Phone or tablet in addition to the camera is just a non starter, too many pieces of gear to hold and manipulate
I'll just use a different camera for outings that I know will need low or strange angles for shooting.

I have tried the image sync on my copy stand, but the swivel screen of the KS2 is much handier to use. JMHO
07-21-2021, 01:14 AM   #25
Forum Member

I have the first K1 and like the flip out screen especially when using a low tripod. Just thought a wireless screen that detaches maybe with a long retractable locking cord would make it even easier to set things up and/or shoot w/o shake. Ahh, dreams that's all.
07-21-2021, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Forum Member

TBH, I don't see any connection between non-flipping screen and eye relief. Keeping the body smaller and lighter -- maybe.
07-21-2021, 02:00 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
My Ricoh KR-10 did with the split screen at 45 degrees.
I miss the KR10 focusing screen. That 45 degrees split was so usable
07-21-2021, 02:24 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An EVF in the OVF when the mirror is up : no blackouts !
07-21-2021, 02:46 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think they have to be in a hurry. The K-1 II is only about 2-1/2 years old. It is an outstanding performer. Great resolution, DR, low noise at higher ISO, and overall image quality. My impression is its sales have actually picked up after the arrival of the K-3 III.

No doubt when the replacement does come, it will take advantage of R&D from the K-3 III, including using a BSI sensor. This will probably mean around another stop or so improvement for higher ISO use. And like the K-3 III, this means the price will be very high. As to features, after seeing the K-3 III that is anybody's guess.
07-21-2021, 06:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kanyck Quote
TBH, I don't see any connection between non-flipping screen and eye relief. Keeping the body smaller and lighter -- maybe.
Thinner body (front to back) is what creates more eye relief.