Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, not much risk. But the risk the does exist is probably not even "from" Ricoh, rather just from user error (like interrupting power in the middle of update accidentally), etc.
Good point. Though Ricoh does a good job of not allowing you do to the update unless the battery is fully charged. Not sure how you would interrupt the process but I guess you could remove the battery or the card while its updating.

07-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #17
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Firmware updates .. yes I should do them ( none of my cameras have been ) ... but .. Not by me, I have done too many ' things ' to computers my IT mate just now says , let me have a look and how did you do that?

Dave
07-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was playing devil's advocate by asking "what risk", as I am aware of the consequences of a firmware update failure.

My whole career was based around risk and managing it. I find it a fascinating and misunderstood subject in general. The pandemic that the world is battling at the moment and the vaccines are a case in point. I have seen friends agonise over whether to get vaccinated, and be keen to know which vaccine variant they will get, before blithely doing the most risky thing they will do that day.....hopping into their car to drive to the vaccine centre !
07-20-2021, 09:52 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
so would you jump off a cliff if Mike did it ?
That's an odd response, Allen Peter and I happen to get on well, we've exchanged opinions and advice before outside forum threads, and we respect each other's views. That's all...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-20-2021 at 10:06 PM.
07-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's an odd response, Allen Peter and I happen to get on well, we've exchanged opinions and advice before outside forum threads, and we respect each other's views. That's all...
@Aslyfox Mike is a voice I trust he introduced the idea of getting a 35mm f2 (gorgeous lens) and has never led me astray when I was uncertain about something. If he jumped off a cliff I would certainly be looking round to see if there was a large, hungry dinosaur approaching

---------- Post added 20-07-21 at 10:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Thanks for letting us know the new Firmware is available, just did my KPs. I'm guessing these are only for that new lens. Which makes me wonder what is the new lens doing that a firmware update is needed. If you look at the lens page it says it is compatible with the KAF4 mount cameras (back to K-50), but it also states with a firmware update. So I guess there will be some additional firmware updates coming out, since these seem to only go back to the K-70. Either the focus motor is different than the 55-300, or the aperture motor is different than the other KAF4 lenses. It doesn't really make a difference, just interesting.
I think this update goes all the way back (I did my K3). More would be nice as there is stuff on the K3iii that I would love to see on the KP, if possible
07-20-2021, 10:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the heads up. Upgraded K-3, K-70 and K-1. All fine after.
07-20-2021, 10:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am out with my k3 and KP, no issues to report. I initially thought the KP was snappier to start up but don't quote me on it

07-21-2021, 02:01 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So updating the firmware by the book is still safe enough, with a minimum amount of risk involved. It’s always the preferred choice.
07-21-2021, 02:05 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the heads-up. K-3II updated from 1.11 to 1.12 with no issues.
07-21-2021, 03:05 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
@Aslyfox Mike is a voice I trust he introduced the idea of getting a 35mm f2 (gorgeous lens) and has never led me astray when I was uncertain about something. If he jumped off a cliff I would certainly be looking round to see if there was a large, hungry dinosaur approaching . . .
sorry about my poor attempt at humour I meant to cause no offense
07-21-2021, 03:07 AM   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

No problem, Allen. I appreciate the reply
07-21-2021, 04:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Given that I have pre-ordered the new DA*16-50 PLM, I need to have all my cameras ready, and that includes the two K-3 IIs next to the new K-3 III. Not sure I will ever use it on these mark IIs though. The most beaten up one is a back-up that I'll probably rarely use, and the other has been converted to full spectrum for infrared, and the newer lenses/coatings are notably bad for infrared because of prominent internal reflection of infrared light causing hotspots. Seeing the graphs that show the new coating's effect, I'm not expecting much in infrared from the new 16-50... But the upgrade needs to be done...

... and has been done successfully!
07-21-2021, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The risk is negligible. Like Mike, I have upgraded the firmware every time for every digital camera I have owned. Just done for the KP and K-3 Mark III, and both my K-1 Mark II bodies.

I have also jumped off more cliffs than I care to remember

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 07-21-2021 at 04:49 AM.
07-21-2021, 04:53 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh I never take offence because I know you're one of the good guys