Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Firmware updates general

After seeing the mention of firmware updates for the k3iii I checked the K3 & KP. All it said was that it was for the new lens. No mention even of the usual stability updates. Given everything carries a risk, Is it worth doing?

Here's the link BTW

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

07-20-2021, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Given everything carries a risk, Is it worth doing?
What risk ?
07-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
What risk ?
The firmware update not going right and bricking the camera.
07-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given everything carries a risk, Is it worth doing?
Yes.
Many of us remember horror stories of bad firmware updates in the distant past. The reality is there is little risk these days. And Ricoh has an excellent track record. Ricoh rarely lists what they have changed/fixed but increasing stability for obscure events they discover over time is always a good bet.

---------- Post added 07-20-21 at 12:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'm sure that is possible. On the hand I do not remember seeing anyone report that since Ricoh took over.

07-20-2021, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

What risk ?
The risk of buying a new lens, of course!

Steve
07-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm sure that is possible. On the hand I do not remember seeing anyone report that since Ricoh took over.
Yeah, not much risk. But the risk the does exist is probably not even "from" Ricoh, rather just from user error (like interrupting power in the middle of update accidentally), etc. To my knowledge there is no internal backup/failsafe (like modern motherboards have on a PC) where you can always recover. So if the firmware is truly *only* for a lens you don't own, should you bother? (It is notable that is doesn't have the usual "stability improvements" etc line.)
07-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would be happy to underwrite any bricking risk...for the right premium.

07-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never ever with Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote

Yes , I did bricked my iPhone 12 Pro twice , although I managed to unbrick it ( it was not easy ).
This never happened with any other older iPhone's.
I never had any problems with Pentax firmware updates , there are always some stability and performance improvements.
I always keep all my electronic/digital gear up to date.
07-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #9
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And at least Pentax doesn’t require the camera to be connected to a computer to do the update, nor requiring security and permissions settings to be opened up to use the installer like Sony and Olympus. So much easier to just download a file to an SD card and put it in the camera to do the update.
07-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's very, very little risk indeed - so long as you have a fully charged battery in the camera... ideally a genuine Pentax battery in good condition, rather than some questionable third-party brand that might give up under heavy load.

I've updated every one of my cameras, from the old *ist DL to my K-3II, with every firmware release and not run into a single problem.
07-20-2021, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's very, very little risk indeed - so long as you have a fully charged battery in the camera... ideally a genuine Pentax battery in good condition, rather than some questionable third-party brand that might give up under heavy load.

I've updated every one of my cameras, from the old *ist DL to my K-3II, with every firmware release and not run into a single problem.
Well, if its good enough for Mike.... Here goes nothing

---------- Post added 20-07-21 at 02:22 PM ----------

OK, KP & K3 updated, and no bricks. it will be interesting to see if anyone sees any difference. The KP felt like the boot up was faster but I could be fooling myself
07-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What risk ?
Putting on my "Here's how technology breaks" hat leads to three thoughts about the potential cause of a serious problem:

1. power/battery interruption: This seems like the most likely and is the reason Ricoh advises using a good and fully charged battery.

2. SD card corruption: It's also possible (but unlikely) that a bad SD card could cause a problem. I would sincerely hope that both the OS vendor and Ricoh would cross-check the file with the stored checksum or hash before using the firmware. Anyway, using a decent and recently reformatted card would minimize the chance of corruption. (The paranoid might even check the file on the SD card by copying back to the computer and comparing it to the original.)

3. A weird user configuration that has an untested/unexpected incompatibility: Least likely is that something about the users setup or configuration of their camera has created a highly unusual configuration that Ricoh engineers never thought was possible and that this configuration is incompatible with the new firmware. It's highly unlikely to happen, highly unlikely to cause a real problems, and very likely to be cured by a resetting the camera.
07-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, if its good enough for Mike. . . . Here goes nothing
so would you jump off a cliff if Mike did it ?

" Fortune Favors The Brave "

some one said that once
07-20-2021, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Putting on my "Here's how technology breaks" hat leads to three thoughts about the potential cause of a serious problem:

1. power/battery interruption: This seems like the most likely and is the reason Ricoh advises using a good and fully charged battery.

2. SD card corruption: It's also possible (but unlikely) that a bad SD card could cause a problem. I would sincerely hope that both the OS vendor and Ricoh would cross-check the file with the stored checksum or hash before using the firmware. Anyway, using a decent and recently reformatted card would minimize the chance of corruption. (The paranoid might even check the file on the SD card by copying back to the computer and comparing it to the original.)

3. A weird user configuration that has an untested/unexpected incompatibility: Least likely is that something about the users setup or configuration of their camera has created a highly unusual configuration that Ricoh engineers never thought was possible and that this configuration is incompatible with the new firmware. It's highly unlikely to happen, highly unlikely to cause a real problems, and very likely to be cured by a resetting the camera.
Probably a good idea to not have a third-party lens on the body (might be best to have no lens at all). Again, chances of failure are very very small, but firmware updates are a special thing in that the possibility for catastrophe failure at least exists. I can be an impatient & forgetful person so I have to step away from the body when doing firmware updates so 5 seconds into it my mind doesn't wander and I grab the camera and turn it off or something...
07-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After seeing the mention of firmware updates for the k3iii I checked the K3 & KP. All it said was that it was for the new lens. No mention even of the usual stability updates. Given everything carries a risk, Is it worth doing?

Here's the link BTW

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
Thanks for letting us know the new Firmware is available, just did my KPs. I'm guessing these are only for that new lens. Which makes me wonder what is the new lens doing that a firmware update is needed. If you look at the lens page it says it is compatible with the KAF4 mount cameras (back to K-50), but it also states with a firmware update. So I guess there will be some additional firmware updates coming out, since these seem to only go back to the K-70. Either the focus motor is different than the 55-300, or the aperture motor is different than the other KAF4 lenses. It doesn't really make a difference, just interesting.