07-21-2021, 01:42 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FAT32 & 4 GB limit & video recording

SD formatting
Pentax creates FAT32 - that is usable on Mac / PC
I just formatted SD card in ExFAT ( on my Mac ) - not usable on Pentax
I formatted SD card in NTFS ( on Mac M1 running WIN11 ARM ) - not usable on Pentax
So , SD card must be formatted in FAT32 otherwise it is not recognised by Pentax
Obviously all Mac OS Extended formatting's will not be usable / recognised by Pentax

Now , we need to ask the question:
The max individual file size on FAT32 is 4 GB , so what is going to happen while recording a video ?
Will recording stop when it reaches the saturation point of 4 GB , or Pentax will create a new file and will continue video recording,

anybody tested this?

07-21-2021, 01:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You should be able to use exfat with sdxc cards. Anyway, there is a self-imposed limit of 20 minutes per video. Once that's reached, the camera will stop recording.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-21-2021, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think a technical solution to start a new file and continue with the video would be fairly easy to implement, but as Adam said there is a 20min limit for videos.
I've read somewhere that this limit was chosen to separate stills cameras from video cameras, because they are taxed differently.
07-21-2021, 02:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
ExFat

Yes , Pentax can use ExFAT on SDXC cards.
The reason for 20 min limit ?
Hardware overheating?
SD card limit?
I was using at work ( just retired ) semiprofessional 4K video Canon and Sony and there was no limit , as far as I can remember.

---------- Post added 07-21-21 at 17:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think a technical solution to start a new file and continue with the video would be fairly easy to implement, but as Adam said there is a 20min limit for videos.
I've read somewhere that this limit was chosen to separate stills cameras from video cameras, because they are taxed differently.

yes , I also heard about this but I though it was a long time ago , it is just nonsense

07-21-2021, 02:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
yes , I also heard about this but I though it was a long time ago , it is just nonsense
Good to know.
In that case: there might has been a technical reason sometime (hardware overheating, battery drain,...) and as video is no priority for Pentax noone bothered to removed the limit for the new cameras
07-21-2021, 03:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes , Pentax can use ExFAT on SDXC cards.
The reason for 20 min limit ?
Hardware overheating?
SD card limit?
I was using at work ( just retired ) semiprofessional 4K video Canon and Sony and there was no limit , as far as I can remember.

---------- Post added 07-21-21 at 17:23 ----------

I remember from a long time ago that it has to do with video recording: If you buy a video camera there is an extra tax for the royalty collectors to pay for missed royalties due to illegal recording of films etc. It meant that stills camera's with video capability would also be taxed. The compromis that was reached between industry and the royalty collectors that if you can not record a full "film" on your stills camera, the tax was not imposed on the stills camera. The same tax is imposed on MP3 players and recorders for the music industry. This tax is stretched to phones as well, because they can be used as music players. This ruling complies with the wishes of the European Union and the United States to make up for lost income for artists and companies that suffered damages due to illegal downloading. The 20 minutes is a bit less than what was agreed and I think that has to do with preventing that the sensor overheats. There is no forced cooling in your camera to prevent the overheating. The rules for taxing video camera's and music players it still valid and it is no nonsense.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 07-21-2021 at 03:27 AM. Reason: additonal information added
07-21-2021, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
You have read it well and you have a good memory, the rule still applies.

07-21-2021, 05:33 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot stills with Pentax. Because of the limit on the video that a Pentax records, my dad and I bought Panasonic GH3's for HD video. Even though they break the video into clips the result is a continuous movie. I actually like this approach when it comes to editing videos of weddings. The short clips make it much easier when splitting or clipping the video. I really see no difference in video quality between the Pano and the K-5 or K-3.
07-21-2021, 06:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Video Recording Limits in Mirrorless and DSLR Cameras

No its real.
07-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ditto to UncleVanya. The recording limit is a file size limit imposed by the FAT format (and its creator). Anything you can pack into that maximum file size can be recorded so the time limit depends on the compression and format used for a given recording scheme (see the reference provided by UncleVanya - also listed in most Pentax user manuals).
07-21-2021, 08:00 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note that the Panasonic GH5 has no explicit limits on recording time of movies.

30 Panasonic GH5 Question and Answer Highlights from Our @Ask_BH Twitter Feed | B&H Explora

The Panasonic G9 on the other hand is limited to almost 30mins in some modes and shorter in others.

Panasonic Lumix G9 Unveiled with 4K 60p Video - Will it Compete with the GH5? | CineD

This is either simply marketing or in response to regulatory taxes and the impact to sales price. Id say its some of both.
07-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

As noted above, Pentax does support ExFAT. However, for best results use the format utility from the SD Association Web site followed by in-camera format...

SD Memory Card Formatter | SD Association

As also noted above, the time and/or storage limits for Pentax video are traceable to tax laws within the EU. Camera makers have dealt with those regulations using various strategies, one of which is to offer different specification models outside the EU. With Pentax, everyone gets the non-video camera spec.

No amount of anger or outrage will change this. If one is shooting video, a video-centric camera remains the tool of choice.

Steve
07-21-2021, 10:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SD formatting
Now , we need to ask the question:
The max individual file size on FAT32 is 4 GB , so what is going to happen while recording a video ?
Will recording stop when it reaches the saturation point of 4 GB , or Pentax will create a new file and will continue video recording,
The K-3 iii stops recording when you reach a file size of 4GB on a card that was formatted in the camera. With 4K recording, that tends to be in the 78 minute range. It does not (unless one of the firmware updates changed this) continue recording to a new file.