Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More FPS (and other "upgrades") with battery grip?

Posting this in the DSLR section instead of Camera Accessories because I am interested in influences on the camera body's "stats" by adding a battery grip.

I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading a few years ago that by adding a battery grip a camera could fire more shots per second than without, and other improvements, besides just longer lasting battery.

I can't remember if that was regarding a Pentax or another brand camera.

I couldn't find any statement like that for the K-3 III battery grip, so I guess this will not have an effect like that. But were there other Pentax cameras that profited from adding a battery grip like that, or only some cameras from other manufacturers? Or did I hallucinate this entirely?

07-21-2021, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
AFAIK, it was a Nikon model that had a slight FPS boost when using two batteries.
07-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my experience, the battery grip does not allow increased frame rate. Makes vertical compositions easier and helps to balance big telephoto lenses. Moving to crop mode DOES increase frame rate significantly on the K-1 and K-1ii.
07-21-2021, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Posting this in the DSLR section instead of Camera Accessories because I am interested in influences on the camera body's "stats" by adding a battery grip.

I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading a few years ago that by adding a battery grip a camera could fire more shots per second than without, and other improvements, besides just longer lasting battery.

I can't remember if that was regarding a Pentax or another brand camera.

I couldn't find any statement like that for the K-3 III battery grip, so I guess this will not have an effect like that. But were there other Pentax cameras that profited from adding a battery grip like that, or only some cameras from other manufacturers? Or did I hallucinate this entirely?
Some Nikon DSLRs like the D700 do have increased fps when adding a battery grip. I'm not aware of any Pentax with which a battery grip increases the fps like the D700 does.

07-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you can afford the battery grip

it gives you the option of using it or not

I don't like my little finger hanging below the camera body so I almost always use my battery grips

in addition to having the extra battery immediately available, there is a space for SD card

some allow you to use AA batteries also

the " extra " battery is kept clean and safe

some even had a space for a remote

Grips (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

however, YMMV and a battery grip may not be for you
07-21-2021, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
Some Nikon DSLRs like the D700 do have increased fps when adding a battery grip. I'm not aware of any Pentax with which a battery grip increases the fps like the D700 does.
Fuji X-T2 increases speed also: Questions about X-T2 Battery Grip & Boost Mode | FujiX-Forum.

I am not sure if that is also the case, or not, with the newer X-T3.
07-21-2021, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if you can afford the battery grip

it gives you the option of using it or not

I don't like my little finger hanging below the camera body so I almost always use my battery grips

in addition to having the extra battery immediately available, there is a space for SD card

some allow you to use AA batteries also

the " extra " battery is kept clean and safe

some even had a space for a remote

Grips (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

however, YMMV and a battery grip may not be for you
All this, and the ability to hot swap the grip battery. I wouldn't do it during the save process, but I can pull the grip battery on my K3 II, and it'll switch to the main battery without the need to shut off the camera. This is handy in sporting and other "randomly need the shot NOW" situations where you can swap the grip battery while still being able to fully use the camera if needed. Or if running an intervalometer timer and you want to swap a battery without interrupting the sequence.

07-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
All this, and the ability to hot swap the grip battery. I wouldn't do it during the save process, but I can pull the grip battery on my K3 II, and it'll switch to the main battery without the need to shut off the camera. This is handy in sporting and other "randomly need the shot NOW" situations where you can swap the grip battery while still being able to fully use the camera if needed. Or if running an intervalometer timer and you want to swap a battery without interrupting the sequence.
another possible advantage

I don't do photos under " extreme " conditions but with the battery grip you don't have to expose the internals of the camera's battery compartment to swap out a battery
07-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have large hands but find the battery grip just fits nicely and feels really comfortable and stable.
07-21-2021, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Back in the analogue days some cameras with manual film advancement had optional grips that provided motor driven film advancement. These grip did result in considerable higher FPS in those cameras.

I've had grips on all Pentax flagship APS-C DSLRs except the *istDS, and none of these made any difference in FPS whatsoever. They just provide:
- an extra battery for longer shooting
- duplicate controls for easier portrait oriented photography
- some extra hold on the relatively small cameras
- better balance with large lenses
- a space to put a spare SD card
- more recent grips also include an extra attachment point for the strap.
07-22-2021, 03:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As others said, there's no increase in FPS by using a battery grip, on any Pentax camera (K-3iii included).
The best increase in FPS you can get is through buying a K-3iii
07-22-2021, 06:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The best increase in FPS you can get is through buying a K-3iii
I can't justify buying it at the current price, but I seriously consider that when the price should have come down a bit

Thanks for the replies, all. Nice to see that I didn't just imagine having read that. But it does make me wonder a bit
1) why those cameras could shoot more frames with a battery grip / couldn't shoot more frames without it attached (just a means of getting people to buy the grip?)?
2) why it's not something more widely implemented (perhaps connected to it being an unnecessary mutilation of the body?)
07-22-2021, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But it does make me wonder a bit
1) why those cameras could shoot more frames with a battery grip / couldn't shoot more frames without it attached (just a means of getting people to buy the grip?)?
More frames due to longer battery life, it's simply longer run time, more milliamp hours from 2 batteries than 1.
More frames in the same amount of time on the Nikon due to more power being available to digitize, download, process, and store. When chips runs faster, they need more power and dissipate more heat.

2) why it's not something more widely implemented (perhaps connected to it being an unnecessary mutilation of the body?)
It's all about circuit design and the firmware to implement such a feature. Pentax does a great job on being power efficient.
Likely this capability originated due to engineers being disappointed in the Nikon's performance, so they hacked this together.
Plus, it harkens to the old film days of power winders and motor drives to advance the film quickly, for less time between shots.
07-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't justify buying it at the current price, but I seriously consider that when the price should have come down a bit . . .
I saw a K 3 III recently for sale in the marketplace

a couple of weeks ago I guess

it is gone now

for the price difference, I would have bought new and gotten the warranty instead of buying the one offered