Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
A lot of portrait shooters I know don't adopt the method you've mentioned.
I'm sure that's true. I didn't say one *has* to do this. Just that it is a time honored and very effective technique.

12-03-2008, 11:54 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I looked through the Custom Settings on my GX-1L (*ist DL); I don't see the function for the OK button to lock focus. Could you possibly explain how to get there? Thanks.
12-04-2008, 01:15 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
I looked through the Custom Settings on my GX-1L (*ist DL); I don't see the function for the OK button to lock focus. Could you possibly explain how to get there? Thanks.
It's on page 120 (also p.100) of the Pentax *ist DL manual (download pdf)
(don't know if the GX-1L has the same page #s).

Go to the "C"ustom menu
select - OK btn when shooting
then set 3 Enable AF

This disables the AF on the shutter button, and AF is only activated when pressing the OK button.

Focus with the OK button - once focussed, it is then locked in place for the rest of the shots, until the OK button is pressed again.
12-04-2008, 01:52 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
It's on page 120 (also p.100) of the Pentax *ist DL manual (download pdf)
(don't know if the GX-1L has the same page #s).

Go to the "C"ustom menu
select - OK btn when shooting
then set 3 Enable AF

This disables the AF on the shutter button, and AF is only activated when pressing the OK button.

Focus with the OK button - once focussed, it is then locked in place for the rest of the shots, until the OK button is pressed again.
Thanks! Do alot of people use this function??

12-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm sure that's true. I didn't say one *has* to do this. Just that it is a time honored and very effective technique.
I have to admit that I never thought of using the AF button functionality when shooting portraits. But I will certainly give it a try. Thanks for reminding me the basics Marc
12-04-2008, 04:38 AM   #36
Inactive Account

I would, but I use my left eye to look through the viewfinder and then... well, my nose... .
12-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

change brands if AF is important

I picked up a Sony A700 (Yes it's a lot more money) and it is so much faster than my K10D there is no comparison. Both in low light and tracking the K10D does not match up. That being said, I still prefer the K10D for shooting static scenes with primes.

ken
12-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Based on comments in this forum over the years, I'd say it's pretty common for K10D/K20D owners (using the AF button). Probably not as common for people with "entry level" cameras.

I briefly tried using the button to perform focus, but found I didn't like it as much as using the button to *cancel* focus (same menu). Some day I might try it again and give it a little longer.

12-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Based on comments in this forum over the years, I'd say it's pretty common for K10D/K20D owners (using the AF button). Probably not as common for people with "entry level" cameras.

I briefly tried using the button to perform focus, but found I didn't like it as much as using the button to *cancel* focus (same menu). Some day I might try it again and give it a little longer.
I used to do this with my K100 Super, and the OK button. As you mention, having the button set to disable AF is MUCH more useful, since when you're holding it, the camera goes to MF mode, and focus confirmation activates.

What I would really like to be able to do is leave my camera in MF mode, but then still use the AF button to have it autofocus - this would be handy!
12-05-2008, 01:48 AM   #40

I used a Canon 50D with 85mm f1.2 today. Possibly the slowest thing I've ever used. However, I also used it with a 200mm f2.8 - possibly the fastest. The lens can make a big difference.
12-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
^thanks, that's what my friend told me...anyone have any recommendations on a fast AFing mid-zoom? I'm looking at the Tamron 28-75.
12-05-2008, 03:30 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I purchased a GX-1L, the Samsung branded *ist D about a year ago.[... AF] was a wait period of nearly two or more seconds
The Samsung GX-1L corresponds to the Pentax *istDL. The Pentax *istD was a professional grade DSLR introduced in Febr 2003. The Pentax *istDL was an entry level DSLR introduced in June 2005. By now, it is 3 years old technology.

While I am still pretty ok with the AF speed of my *istDS (a model from 2004), I have to say that it is no comparison with current models like the K20D or K-m.

If you are really that unhappy with the AF performance of your camera which was 2 years old when you purchased it new, I can only recommend that you go in a store and try the Pentax K2000. It's about the size of a *istDL and its AF performance is reported to be pretty good.

K2000 (K-m) currently sells at USD 406,- here in Europe. So, don't buy it quite yet at the current US price of USD 600,-.
12-05-2008, 07:32 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I picked up a Sony A700 (Yes it's a lot more money) and it is so much faster than my K10D there is no comparison. Both in low light and tracking the K10D does not match up.
I tried it in a sonystyle store and had the same impression. I was a bit surprised at how quick and consistent it was and that was using a relatively crappy 18-70 lens.