Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

changing focus screen

hello to all,i have a question?how hard is it to change the focus screen on the k20d and can anyone tell me how to do it?i miss my grid screen i used on my nikon d100 and would like to put one on my k20d.thanks alan.

11-30-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Search in You Tube

cheers
11-30-2008, 02:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Not hard at all. You open a small latch and the frame holding the focus screen swings down. Swap screens and close it back up again.
11-30-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Pretty straight forward, just don't get finger marks on the screen and blow to clear dust.

11-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Hi Alan, it's not as hard as it seems.

What you need:
- a small L-shaped hook ( for unlatching the focusing screen catch in the camera)
- a pair of padded tweezers to handle the tab on the focusing screen. For me , i tape some masking tape on the ends of my metal tweezers.

1) Place the K20d on a flat surface, facing up, with the base facing you.
2) using the L-shaped hook, pull the catch gently towards yourself.
- At this juncture, the casement should pop out with the screen exposed. You may wanna take this chance to use the padded tweezer to try popping it back, and then opening it again for practice.
3) Use the padded tweezer to remove the focusing screen.
4) Blow away excess dust on the next focusing screen.
5) Put the new focusing screen into the casement...it should sit properly within the 'cage'.
6) Pop back the casement.

You're done!!
11-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Oh yeah , as Kerrowdown pointed out, refrain from using your fingers to touch the screen surface. At most your fingers should only handle the edges.