Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
bowden318

Pentax K10D New User

Hello all. I just received a Pentax K10D w/ 18-55mm II / 55-20mm & Pentax Grip

I have to say out of some of the camera I've held and used in the past this has the best feel and balance.. Well on to my issue. I took the camera out for a weekend drive to Disney with friends. I shot some photos of friends and some scenery, some pictures were a tad over exposed and some under, Not to bad though, I was using the kit 18-55mm II Lens. I’ve played with the SV mode. I think it’s very cool you can just set your ISO and the camera does the rest. But I don’t think my EV should be off every time I go to shoot
I’ve always used shutter or Aperture Priority in Nikon. On the K10D I was set for Multi SEG and Focus Points were set to AUTO. Are their some useful settings that I can set this camera to so I won’t have to tweak every other picture I shoot? It seems that Nikon had less maintenance when shooting. Yes I like to play with the Shutter & Aperture to capture depth and motion. What are the good setting to uses and stick with and on occasions make slight adjustments.

Aso Is their a way i can control the focus points either the front or rear e-dial like canon lets you. I shot a pic of a couple i was with and after seeing it on the PC she was in focus he wasnt . I guess the AF points that were set for auto liked her better. ( i was 4ft away from the subject)

LB

11-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by bowden318 Quote
Hello all. I just received a Pentax K10D w/ 18-55mm II / 55-20mm & Pentax Grip

I have to say out of some of the camera I've held and used in the past this has the best feel and balance.. Well on to my issue. I took the camera out for a weekend drive to Disney with friends. I shot some photos of friends and some scenery, some pictures were a tad over exposed and some under, Not to bad though, I was using the kit 18-55mm II Lens. I’ve played with the SV mode. I think it’s very cool you can just set your ISO and the camera does the rest. But I don’t think my EV should be off every time I go to shoot
I’ve always used shutter or Aperture Priority in Nikon. On the K10D I was set for Multi SEG and Focus Points were set to AUTO. Are their some useful settings that I can set this camera to so I won’t have to tweak every other picture I shoot? It seems that Nikon had less maintenance when shooting. Yes I like to play with the Shutter & Aperture to capture depth and motion. What are the good setting to uses and stick with and on occasions make slight adjustments.

Aso Is their a way i can control the focus points either the front or rear e-dial like canon lets you. I shot a pic of a couple i was with and after seeing it on the PC she was in focus he wasnt . I guess the AF points that were set for auto liked her better. ( i was 4ft away from the subject)

LB
Welcome to the K10D owner's club! (Mine has produced 10k+ images.)

As shown in the manual, you can select focus points manually by rotating the outer ring of the rocker to SEL and then using the rocker (arrows) to move the focus indicator.

SV mode makes the ISO the priority, so the camera makes decision on your behalf regarding the other settings. Those choices may not be commensurate with your desired result (e.g., underexposed subjects or blown areas). I'd stick with your previous habit with Nikon with respect to determining an aperture and letting the camera choose the shutter speed or vice-versa to get the motion blur or bokeh you seek.

My $.02.

Last edited by Yonnie; 11-30-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: clarification
11-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bowden318 Quote
I donít think my EV should be off every time I go to shoot
Unless you shoot nothing but gray cards, or always want your pictures to come out to average out to the same reflectance as a gray card, it's unreasonable to expect the camera to always guess the same exposure as you want. Learn to anticipate when compensation will be required (eg, shooting a light-color object or anything against bright background, expect to require positive compensation).