Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2021, 06:04 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Something glitched your quote as I wasn’t the one writing the quoted text. I quoted that myself. However I did recommend some crop lenses with a crop body, because the cost of buying the 1-2 lenses would be cheap if used gear is purchased. The future isn’t mortgaged heavily and a change in direction later wouldn’t require a lot of investment if the number of lenses is kept small.
Indeed, it was meant to be a direct quote from the OP's post!
Apologies

08-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Indeed, it was meant to be a direct quote from the OP's post!
Apologies
None required, I’m sure I’ve done worse by similar mistakes! Lol.
08-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #33

Original Poster
I might also be able to pick up the 100 D FA macro and a 200 F4 takumar. So maybe that helps the K-1 decision a bit more…
08-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sneeds Quote
I might also be able to pick up the 100 D FA macro and a 200 F4 takumar. So maybe that helps the K-1 decision a bit more…
I got the chance to try out a few lenses yesterday

- 31 mm f1.8
- DA* 60-250
- DA* 200 f2.8

I was most impressed with the 60-250, then the 200 and the 31 came last.

As I chatted with the vendors (basically we have two 'major' camera stores in my city), they relayed that they have not heard anything from Pentax in the last 1.5 years. Of course, at the one shop, I got the usual, 'DSLR is dead' talk so some of what they were saying I took with a grain of salt. However, after checking this stuff out, I'm left with a few concerns:

- why is Pentax not chatting with the vendors (small sample size, I know)?
- how often do the SDM motors fail in the DA* versions? This is especially a concern for the 60-250 as there appears there is not a fix for it
- if I keep the K-S2 I wonder if I'll forever worry about the aperture block failure problem. (I looked up some videos on how to fix it and I probably could but would rather not).
- and finally, throwing all my money behind a 'new to me' system from Pentax (K-3 II or K-1) seems a bit scary (akin to doing the same with Olympus)...

At the second store, I had a look at the full-frame Canon RP. I have to say, it was pretty decent (and relatively affordable for a full-frame mirrorless). The stock 24-105 took some really good pics that rivalled what I was getting with the 60-250. So now I'm really confused what to do. I'd like to actual physically see a K-3 II and K-1 before I pick them, but seems that is likely not possible.

08-20-2021, 01:22 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I'd like to actual physically see a K-3 II and K-1 before I pick them, but seems that is likely not possible.
The K-3 II not, indeed, but the K-1 II they might have in stock at the stores? The K-1 has the exact same body as the K-1 II, only the inner electronics subtly differ. The handling is exactly the same.
An alternative would be to reach out to local pentaxforums members if you can. If someone in your area had a K-1 and/or K-3 II thys could show you... (by the way the K-3 II is physically very similar to K-3 and quite similar to K-5/K-5 II too, so any of these bodies could give you a good indication on handling).

If you don't plan to keep the K-S2 or any of your current lenses in your next potential setup, then indeed it's like switching systems entirely and there is no particular reason to stay with Pentax. I'm afraid I can't offer any more advice about this, this is really a matter of your personal preferences.
As to Pentax reps not chatting with resellers, well it seems Pentax/Ricoh is really not a marketing oriented company... But I would not worry more than that about the brand continuation: they just got a breakthrough new body out (K-3 III) and excellent top-quality brand new optics in 2021 (16-50) and 2020 (85); if you read around this forum you can see that rumors of Pentax being doomed exist since the dawn of times... That did not stop them from being alive and well still
Just pick up the gear that you enjoy most based on its intrinsic qualities and quatlity/price ratio, not on brand recognition or markting considerations!

Another general remark: you are trying and discussing many very different lenses for very different uses, whereas the original request was to simplify your gear. Might I suggest that you should first decide what will be the main uses/targets of the camera, what is it really that you like/dislike/miss in your current setup (apart from the GPS) and thus, which qualities of the body/which focal length ranges you need. This might help point you in the right direction
08-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
The K-3 II not, indeed, but the K-1 II they might have in stock at the stores? The K-1 has the exact same body as the K-1 II, only the inner electronics subtly differ. The handling is exactly the same.
An alternative would be to reach out to local pentaxforums members if you can. If someone in your area had a K-1 and/or K-3 II thys could show you... (by the way the K-3 II is physically very similar to K-3 and quite similar to K-5/K-5 II too, so any of these bodies could give you a good indication on handling).

If you don't plan to keep the K-S2 or any of your current lenses in your next potential setup, then indeed it's like switching systems entirely and there is no particular reason to stay with Pentax. I'm afraid I can't offer any more advice about this, this is really a matter of your personal preferences.
As to Pentax reps not chatting with resellers, well it seems Pentax/Ricoh is really not a marketing oriented company... But I would not worry more than that about the brand continuation: they just got a breakthrough new body out (K-3 III) and excellent top-quality brand new optics in 2021 (16-50) and 2020 (85); if you read around this forum you can see that rumors of Pentax being doomed exist since the dawn of times... That did not stop them from being alive and well still
Just pick up the gear that you enjoy most based on its intrinsic qualities and quatlity/price ratio, not on brand recognition or markting considerations!

Another general remark: you are trying and discussing many very different lenses for very different uses, whereas the original request was to simplify your gear. Might I suggest that you should first decide what will be the main uses/targets of the camera, what is it really that you like/dislike/miss in your current setup (apart from the GPS) and thus, which qualities of the body/which focal length ranges you need. This might help point you in the right direction
I think I know of a K-3 local for sale - I’ll go check it out, thanks for the idea.

In terms of lenses, I just tried what the shops had in stock, not the ones I would particularly buy. I want a fisheye (lots of those used locally actually) and a good telephoto (hence the 60-250, 200, or 50-135). The rest can wait. The 31 was just for fun because they had it in stock - I would never buy it.

The lenses I currently have are entry-level (18-50 kit, DA 50-200, FA 35-80 and FA 100-300) so they can go when new ones come.

So don’t trust the stores - I try not to but it’s hard when they put shiny things in your hands!

Last edited by sneeds; 08-20-2021 at 07:14 AM.
08-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I want a fisheye
Well, that might be a good argument against my initial recommendation for the K-1...
As far as I know there exists no recent fisheye for Pentax full-frame. There is the F 17-28 that is AF but already quite old... For APS-C however (so K-3 II) there is the well-regarded DA 10-17. I have not used any of thoses so can't comment further
For telephoto, indeed, lots of options to upgrade your 100-300. But no rush, that lens would still be compatible with any Pentax body.
Good luck with your decisions!

08-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even though the 60-250 can’t be converted, the number of inquiries I get for that lens is very small. The number of reports of failure of that lens also is quite small but not zero.

As for trying one. Go to lens rentals and rent both systems you are interested in along with at least one lens for each. (Assuming you are in USA. )