Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 01:22 AM   #1

K20 Focus Issues

So I recently gave in to temptation and upgraded from a DL to the K20. I totally love it, except for one thing: the auto focus just doesn't seem "right". About half the time, okay probably less than half the time, but often enough for me to notice, auto focus says it is in focus but after you look at the picture it is just a little off. The picture still looks fine, just not really sharp.

I never had this issue with my DL so I'm thinking (hoping?) it is camera related (as opposed to operator error).

So I guess what I am wondering is, is there any way to test it? Or some setting that might have gotten messed with? I have only owned it for a few days, so I can still return it, but I don't want to walk in there and look like an idiot if it is just a setting or something.

12-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I know this may seem trivial...maybe check the focusing setting to make sure it's on 'center' of the frame?
12-01-2008, 01:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Are you using the 18-55mm kit lens??

I've noticed exactly the same thing, but even when I fine adjust and do whatever I can to get as clear as I can get with the kit lens, with such high quality photo's the K20 produces, it allows you to realize how NOT so high quality the lens mounted on the camera really is.
12-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Coming from a DS to a K20D I understand what you are talking about.

So, with the greatest respect, I offer the following:
Page 107 of the manual, "setting the focus area" ....read...re-read & then read again, and appreciate that the K20D is a sophisticated animal that responds to degrees of adjustment. Similarly read Page 98.

Adjustments are interlinked and subject to the lens type you are using.

I noticed very early into my K20D ownership that while image quality was superb, the flaws of a less than stellar lens were also highlighted. A recent experiment with a friends DA* 50-135 and my old Sigma 18-125 only served to highlight the difference between great glass and good glass.

Please appreciate that I respond not to dismiss your concerns but to pass on my experience......nothing more; nothing less.
Cheers.