Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Now I'm curious, what didn't you like about the K-P?
Ergonomics. For me they were terrible.

None of the grips were supportive for me (I often shoot one-handed), button placement was bad and especially the BBF, and the top controls were too cramped. As a camera tho it was marvelous and a couple of the features were helpful, which really was the reason I bought it in the first place, even if at the end of the day I didn't find any substantive difference from the K-70 for my own images and subject interests. It wasn't either smaller or lighter either which I expected it would be based on early comments. The K-70 is simply an easier and more secure carry for me.

So the KP and I just weren't a good match, and I really did try. Took it to every shooting opportunity, the majority either portraiture or wildlife, for several months along with a K-70. I started out excitedly relying on the KP as my primary but rather soon found myself picking up the K70 more often than not when things became fast-paced. Turned out the KP was a brief fling, a summer girlfriend.

I wish there had been somewhere I could have handled it first, but I might have bought it anyway since I believed some of its features not offered on the K70 would have been used more than they were, and of course I'd just adapt to the handling. Specs got me. It obviously does not mean others are not enthusiastic about their KP's and had little issue with the ergonomics.

Of all the Pentax DSLR's I've owned (K50, K5, K70, KP, K1, K3III) it's the one camera that you most likely either love or hate.

08-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when answering "what to buy if my K-3 fails.
08-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Ergonomics. For me they were terrible.

None of the grips were supportive for me (I often shoot one-handed), button placement was bad and especially the BBF, and the top controls were too cramped. As a camera tho it was marvelous and a couple of the features were helpful, which really was the reason I bought it in the first place, even if at the end of the day I didn't find any substantive difference from the K-70 for my own images and subject interests. It wasn't either smaller or lighter either which I expected it would be based on early comments. The K-70 is simply an easier and more secure carry for me.

So the KP and I just weren't a good match, and I really did try. Took it to every shooting opportunity, the majority either portraiture or wildlife, for several months along with a K-70. I started out excitedly relying on the KP as my primary but rather soon found myself picking up the K70 more often than not when things became fast-paced. Turned out the KP was a brief fling, a summer girlfriend.

I wish there had been somewhere I could have handled it first, but I might have bought it anyway since I believed some of its features not offered on the K70 would have been used more than they were, and of course I'd just adapt to the handling. Specs got me. It obviously does not mean others are not enthusiastic about their KP's and had little issue with the ergonomics.

Of all the Pentax DSLR's I've owned (K50, K5, K70, KP, K1, K3III) it's the one camera that you most likely either love or hate.
The kind of situations dictating usage, including carrying style, etc. being sometimes very different is a major reason I have more than one camera design. It is one major reason I still hang on to my still-fine K-5 IIs. It has more individual on-body dedicated controls and without dual-purpose buttons, since each purpose has its own button. There are times when I need both usages and then need individual buttons. There are times when its DOF preview through the VF being always at the ready will be an advantage as well as its other handy controls. And its fat grip is there for one-handed shooting if needed, which for me is rare. But it can balance well with a pretty big lens without having to attach its battery grip. OTOH, there are many times, that for me is more often than not, when the svelte design of the KP is preferred (my me) and is just the thing that fits my outing, along with its superb capabilities and build quality in a compact package. Among the special control features it does have which I do appreciate, is that exposure bracketing is again readily available via its added top knobs as is the case with the K-1, and not otherwise seen since the K20D. I therefore do understand differences in these usage preferences.
08-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on the popularity of the K-70, now just passing five years and still available for purchase, I would consider the aperture block problem corrected by the manufacturer. Also, the significant lack of problems reported, there is a very small probability that it will occur. I purchased my K-70 in November, 2019, and have had no indications of any problem.

08-24-2021, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Solenoid problems

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
DIY is not difficult. I'd say 99% of all those who dared to try it out succeeded:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
Can support the claim about DIY repair. Bought a K30 already showing the faut for about 60GBP. Thanks to photogem's excellent rundown of what to do, fitted it with the solenoid off my donor istDS, which cost me about 20GBP some time back as source of spare bits for my ist. Been using the K30 very happily for a couple of years now, so it doesn't owe this 77-year-old much if it dies next week.
Mind you, spending time "as a lad" wielding a soldering iron probably helped.
08-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It wasn't either smaller or lighter either which I expected it would be based on early comments.
Sadly, the marketing of the KP as small and light was only true in comparison to the K-3II where it is definitely lighter and more svelte in the hand. Size-wise, it is larger than the K-70 and just a little heavier. The KP remains a desirable camera, though for different reasons than either the K-70 or K-3II. It was off the table for me, primarily due to my long fingers.

Steve
08-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when answering "what to buy if my K-3 fails.
For me, that answer is easy...a K-3II. I already have the Godox TT350p go with it.

Steve