Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2021, 10:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Does the K-70 really have a solonoid problem and is it wise to buy one over the KP

I am shooting with m42 lenses and the solonoid problem for my K-50 doesn't matter but I want
to start using Pentax lenses like the HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens so now I may have a problem
with the K-70? How many incidents have ocured with the K-70 with solonoid problems.

Would it be OK for me to get the K-70 and feel reasonably assured that the solonoid won't fail.
The KP price is too steep for me.

I appreciate all the help in advance.

Gavin

08-16-2021, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-70 does have that problem.

One of the "tips" i read before, is to use the camera regularly, don't leave it unused for too long a time (for eg, unused for 6 months) and it should be fine.

How true, i do not know.

So, yes.
A KP is a better option, if prefer not to have any potential risk of that solenoid problem.
08-17-2021, 12:36 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

If the K-70 actually had a solenoid problem, rather than just a potential for one, I think we'd have heard of a lot more instances first-hand by now than we have.
I had no reservations about buying my K-70 new, (now 24k+ exposures and counting) and would happily recommend one to anyone.
The KP does have a superior a/f system, which was my reason for buying one (now 'replaced' by a K-3iii), but other than that I do prefer the K-70 … the ergonomics are so much more similar to my other Pentax bodies (K-01 excepted) that it is just easier to use
Enjoy!
08-17-2021, 12:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonavista Quote
I am shooting with m42 lenses and the solonoid problem for my K-50 doesn't matter but I want
to start using Pentax lenses like the HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens so now I may have a problem
with the K-70? How many incidents have ocured with the K-70 with solonoid problems.

Would it be OK for me to get the K-70 and feel reasonably assured that the solonoid won't fail.
The KP price is too steep for me.

I appreciate all the help in advance.

Gavin
Wait a while and see if the discontinued KP gets a more interesting price attached. Perhaps on Black Friday? The KP is less bulky and to me it is more a Super A when held in my hands and it feels more pleasant than the K-3 II handling it.

08-17-2021, 02:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The KP is a better camera for several reasons documented here and elsewhere on the Web. I would agree with the ergonomics comments but it doesn't take long to get used to it. Patience should yield a bargain, either used (with low shutter count) or even new. I bought mine a couple of years ago as a refurbished KP which had a shutter count just over 100, and it was the same price as a new K-70. There could be a selection of good used KPs coming into the market following the release of the K-3 III, as some folk will trade-in or sell theirs to fund the new model.

Philip
08-17-2021, 03:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The archives should be filled with discussion on "the solenoid problem" but I have never seen data on the frequency. For my K-70 it was 100%. I like the K-70 and got it repaired. I bought a KP as a backup or maybe the K-70 is the backup. The K-70 has the 55-300 PLM ready and the KP has the Sigma 17-50. If you go with a new K-70 the extended warranty is probably a good idea. As for the bulkiness of the KP. With the battery grip added it is even more camera but I have found the ergonomics to be much improved. My first shot at a backup camera was a used S2 and I loved it as I took it out of the box. That lasted until the first test shots and with my recent experience was easy to diagnose as aperture block.
08-17-2021, 03:43 AM   #7

It does. Or at least it did.
My understanding is that the early production runs (circa 2016) were in fact susceptible to the issue as it was around the time people figured out what was going on, with later runs using a refined solenoid that is far less susceptible to failure.

The story of my personal K-70 goes as follows: manufactured in July 2018, purchased in April 2019 brand new, been used with the PLM and an M lens exclusively until this week. No signs of impending solenoid failure in the ~50 shots taken so far, despite it not being used for over 3 years.

And speaking of the 55-300 PLM specifically, that lens uses its own aperture control and will work just fine even in the event of a solenoid failure.

08-17-2021, 06:14 AM   #8
dlhawes

I don't know where y'all are from, but where I live, the KP's discontinued, and no vendor I've checked has any new ones in stock. Plenty of used ones available (make me an offer on mine) particularly on Amazon and Ebay. If you do find a new one, make sure you're getting a warranty with it (i.e., not a "gray market" camera or worse yet, a knock-off).
08-17-2021, 06:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
dlhawes,
Have you ever seen a "kock off" KP ? If so where and what did it look like ? I'm curious as I've not seen any counterfeit Pentax cameras at all.
08-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Metal Undivided
I am very happy to hear the 55-300 PLM will indeed work with the K-50 which I have with the solenoid problem and will still work OK.
Thank to all for your comments, I only need absolute confirmation that the 55-300PLM will indeed work on my K-50 with the solenoid problem.

Gavin
08-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
dlhawes,
Have you ever seen a "kock off" KP ? If so where and what did it look like ? I'm curious as I've not seen any counterfeit Pentax cameras at all.
I suspect this may be a mis-interpretation of an English idiom … in some parts of the world a "knock off" is something that has been stolen, not necessarily a fake
08-17-2021, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If the K-70 actually had a solenoid problem, rather than just a potential for one, I think we'd have heard of a lot more instances first-hand by now than we have.
This ^ ^ ^

Yes, it shares a similar aperture control mechanism with the K-50 and yes, the solenoid is green. What has not been seen is extremely prevalent failure such as happened on the K-30 and K-50. There is the rare report of aperture control failure in the K-70, but not enough to recommend avoidance of that model. If my K-3 were to die today, I would likely replace it with a K-70 until I could swing purchase of a K-3iii.

As for opting for a KP, purchase new might be difficult at present, though I just checked and Amazon still has stock at full retail.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-17-2021 at 10:06 AM.
08-17-2021, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax K-70 came June 2016 on the market.
That's now a bit over 5 years.

Plus it was a very successful camera.

The K-30 came May 2012 on the market.
Already in 2013 some mentioned ABF.
It was pretty early on that the first reports came in:
K-30 causing random under exposures - PentaxForums.com
K30 random underexposure problem - PentaxForums.com

The same thing repeated with the K-50 and the K-500.

It took a lot or research to finally solving what the real issue was, i.e. just the solenoid and nothing else.
Detailed information you find here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

My guess is, that up till know about 30% of all Pentax K-30's and K50's (those built pre-12/2015) developed this problem.
Many had been repaired on warranty but the problem re-appeared quite often because the diaphragm-control-block including (the same!) solenoid
was replaced, i.e. with the same problematic part.

This solenoid was modified from Dec. 2015 on.

I have done a lot of repairs of ABF hit Pentax bodies. The majority were K30/50/500/K-S1 and a few K-S2's, all built pre 12/2015!
I had a very few K-S2's and K-70's.

What I heard is that the failure with the K70 stays within the standard 2%-region.
Now, that does not mean all failures are due to ABF, maybe 1%, maybe a tiny bit more, nobody knows aside of Ricoh.

So it does happen but rarely.

If the K70 is for you, I'd say go for it.
Maybe with extended warranty.
And then use it regularely, that always is a good advice.
08-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I suspect this may be a mis-interpretation of an English idiom … in some parts of the world a "knock off" is something that has been stolen, not necessarily a fake
Could be, but I checked the poster's location first; profile says US- but that does not mean he didn't "originate" elsewhere!
08-17-2021, 11:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Metal Undivided
I am very happy to hear the 55-300 PLM will indeed work with the K-50 which I have with the solenoid problem and will still work OK.
Thank to all for your comments, I only need absolute confirmation that the 55-300PLM will indeed work on my K-50 with the solenoid problem.

Gavin
Gavin, the 55-300 PLM will work without any problems on your K50 with the stuck solenoid!
It is a KAF4 lens and thus not actuated by the electro-mechanical diphragm-control-block
but electromagnetic. Well, the solenoid also works electromagnetic but in a very different way.
The aperture stop-down lever in the K50 is not used to control the diaphragm of this lens!

But you need the latest firmware!
The DA55-300ED PLM is a great lens, one of the very few zooms I use, normally I work with primes.