Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #1

K110D screen

My brother was using my K110D camera and he asked if there wsa a way tro see what youre taking a picture of on the screen, instead of looking through the viewfinder. I wasnt sure how to answer him so i thought i'd ask if any of you knew?
thankyou,
Amanda

03-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The whole point on an SLR is to be able to look through the viewfinder and see exactly what youre taking a picture of, regardless of the lens.

You can't use the screen like on P&S cameras because there's a mirror and a shutter in the way

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amanda,

Further to Mo's explanation, there is a mirror that reflects what is seen through the lens into the viewfinder. The mirror blocks the sensor that captures the image until you press the shutter.

If you go into Menu > Setup > sensor cleaning, then choose Mirror up and press ok, take off the lens and you can see the sensor. Turn off the camera when you are done and you will see the mirror go down. Just be careful not to get dust or fingerprints or whatever else in the chamber or onto the sensor.
03-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"Live" LCD preview is not the norm for SLR cameras--the viewfinder/mirror design is perhaps the fundamental design feature of a SLR camera. The idea is that you see, through the lens, the same thing the film/sensor will see--with zero lag with focus & depth-of-field effects (depth of field visible with the preview lever), and without parallax errors. Works better than LCD in bright sunlight as well.

K110D (K100D & K10D as well) have a digital preview feature where you can see what a picture would look like on the LCD without saving it to the card--but no "live" preview where you can compose using the LCD like a non-SLR digicam.

The feature is activated using the preview lever that surrounds the shutter button (off-on-preview). Whether the lever activates digital vs. traditional aperture stop-down depth-of-field preview is a custom menu setting.

-Andrew

03-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Amanda, welcome back, as others have said the short answer is "no" The longer answer is that it's better to look thru the view finder because you see exactly what you are pointig at, and how it will look. Even more important is the fact that by holding the camera up to your eye, you give yourself a much more stable platform, if you hold the camera away from your body to see the screen it's a lot less stable.

NaCl(good to see you back)H2O
03-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
it's better to look thru the view finder because you see exactly what you are pointig at, and how it will look. Even more important is the fact that by holding the camera up to your eye, you give yourself a much more stable platform, if you hold the camera away from your body to see the screen it's a lot less stable.
Except you don't see quite ALL of the image, and everything tends to be at an eye level viewpoint (unless you like sitting on the ground, etc). I miss the rotating LCD of the A620 which allows more varied camera positions.
03-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My optio 33LF did that too, and I thought it was a great feature, but, it's a digital camera, i dont need to worry about film, so I usually just put it where ever and start shooting. If I get anything, fine, if not....oh well.

regardless, you can only really kind of see, framing is still best when you can scrutinize it more in the VF.
03-13-2007, 02:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Many cameras that use the Four-Thirds mount have this - Live View - but it's really defeating the whole point of an SLR anyway and means there has to be 2 image sensors in the camera.

And given that the Olympus, Panasonic and Leica DSLRs are either bloody unattractive, ridiculously overpriced or failing that still use the 2x crop Four Thirds sensor, you'd have to be a bit silly to buy one.