Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2021, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Film Simulation for JPEG images ... Fuji / Kodak on Pentax DSLR.

I've seen threads on here about Film Simulation. Not many. A few recipes have been offered on this forum, 5 or 6 maybe, and I know you cannot apply all those recipes to Pentax DSLR - except maybe on just the flagship models, due to limitations in the individual software engines.

Fuji seem to offer quite a few recipes for their cameras based on older Fuji film stock. Example:

Classic Chrome
Dynamic Range: DR400
Highlight: -1
Shadow: +2
Color: -2
Sharpening: +2
Noise Reduction: -4
Grain: Strong
Color Chrome Effect: Off
White Balance: 6300K, -1 Red & -4 Blue
ISO: Auto up to ISO 6400
Exposure Compensation: +2/3 to + 1-1/3 (typically)

Of course, these were written for the Fuji range of cameras. How can we decipher their terminology (above) to satisfy our purpose and our cameras? I'm using a K3-iii.

Purpose: This is for creating quick JPEG images processed in camera (SooC). I know I can do all of this PP. I don't want too. I want something quick and ready and where, if I needed to do tweaks in PP, then they are minimal tweaks.

Can anyone make sense of all of this Fuji recipe (above) to enable to transpose this recipe to Pentax?

Thanks in advance.

08-18-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaq1967 Quote
I've seen threads on here about Film Simulation. Not many. A few recipes have been offered on this forum, 5 or 6 maybe, and I know you cannot apply all those recipes to Pentax DSLR - except maybe on just the flagship models, due to limitations in the individual software engines.

Fuji seem to offer quite a few recipes for their cameras based on older Fuji film stock. Example:

Classic Chrome

Of course, these were written for the Fuji range of cameras. How can we decipher their terminology (above) to satisfy our purpose and our cameras? I'm using a K3-iii.

Purpose: This is for creating quick JPEG images processed in camera (SooC). I know I can do all of this PP. I don't want too. I want something quick and ready and where, if I needed to do tweaks in PP, then they are minimal tweaks.

Can anyone make sense of all of this Fuji recipe (above) to enable to transpose this recipe to Pentax?

Thanks in advance.

try here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/...peg-style.html
08-18-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Classic Chrome

Thanks in advance.

In a "perfect" world the easy answer would be to take the same shot with two cameras side by side at the same time, one being a Fuji with the above settings applied, the second being a Pentax in default settings.
Then, load the Fuji image into any image viewer and the Pentax image into the supplied Digital Camera Utility … two screens might be helpful here, but they'd need to be calibrated beforehand so the colour balance is the same.
Then adjust the Pentax image using Digital Camera Utility until it looks like the Fuji image.
Finally, copy the settings from Digital Camera Utility into your Pentax camera. Both use the same terminology so that part is easy
For these purposes most Pentax cameras, except possibly the earliest, will have an appropriate range of settings in their "Custom Image" menu to allow a very reasonable match to be made. Save the final settings as a "User Mode" if the option is available and away you go
The only limitation may be the amount of User Modes available … if none, the old pencil and notebook will have to be utilised (or modern digital equivalent)
Failing the immediate availability of two appropriate cameras, shots of a standard test chart made with a Fuji camera, with and without the settings applied, could be compared to locally prepared Pentax images. Obviously the same test chart in similar lighting would need to be used.
08-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Your best option for film-type simulation is to do it in post processing using software (or presets) specific to that purpose.

Steve

08-18-2021, 02:33 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your best option for film-type simulation is to do it in post processing using software (or presets) specific to that purpose.
Steve

I'm inclined to agree that option might be the best, and certainly the easiest for a specific result, but the OP did specifically ask for an 'SooC' (straight out of camera?) solution, and "working backwards" from an initial DCU result would be a relatively easy implementation, assuming the availability of the appropriate images for comparison
Of course, all this assumes that one person's impression of a specific film matches another person's expectations … I'll bet there are quite a few who've installed pre-sets, commercial or otherwise, only to be heard to say "whicheverColor 400 never looked like that when I used it"
08-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
but the OP did specifically ask for an 'SooC' (straight out of camera?) solution
So I noticed. Similar requests (usually to replicate the Fuji emulations) come up with some regularity here and I am not sure a workable in-camera solution, along with examples, has ever been proposed.

Steve
08-19-2021, 02:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Like I say, at the top of my thread, I have seen some threads. This was one of them. There are not many on the Pentax Forum to work with. Thanks anyway.