Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 96
Configuring the K20D's RAW button?

I am confused on how to use this and the manual doesn't seem to help much. There are three menu entries under Rec. Mode > RAW Button. I have mine setup like:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG

The way the menu is setup, it would make me think that when in JPEG, pressing the RAW button would move it to the "RAW" mode. Then, when in the RAW mode, pressing the RAW button again would move it to the "RAW+" mode. Then, when in the RAW+ mode, pressing the RAW button again would put it back in the "JPEG" mode.

However, with the above configuration, pressing the RAW button only changes the mode from RAW to RAW+ and then from RAW+ to RAW.

I do not understand how this setup is suppose to work.

Thanks for any tips.

Jeremy

12-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,424
QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
I am confused on how to use this and the manual doesn't seem to help much. There are three menu entries under Rec. Mode > RAW Button. I have mine setup like:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG

The way the menu is setup, it would make me think that when in JPEG, pressing the RAW button would move it to the "RAW" mode. Then, when in the RAW mode, pressing the RAW button again would move it to the "RAW+" mode. Then, when in the RAW+ mode, pressing the RAW button again would put it back in the "JPEG" mode.

However, with the above configuration, pressing the RAW button only changes the mode from RAW to RAW+ and then from RAW+ to RAW.

I do not understand how this setup is suppose to work.

Thanks for any tips.

Jeremy
Actually, as I pointed out in the "Instruction Manual typo" thread (or whatever I called it) my instructions say:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> Raw+ <------------------------- huh?

And the camera button only toggles:

RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> RAW

JPG-only is not an option. <------------------------

I'm on firmware 1.01.

I thought it might be because I'm shooting RAW, so JPG would not be an option, but even after changing it to shoot in JPG by default, the button only toggles between two options, not three - "blank" which I assume is JPG as the shots remaining go way up, and RAW.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-01-2008 at 08:48 PM.
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 96
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm on firmware 1.01.

I thought it might be because I'm shooting RAW, so JPG would not be an option, but even after changing it to shoot in JPG by default, the button only toggles between two options, not three - "blank" which I assume is JPG as the shots remaining go way up, and RAW.
I'm also on Firmware 1.01 and I cannot get it to do anything but RAW -> RAW+, RAW+ -> RAW, so the question is, what is the configuration in the menu for if it has no effect?

Jeremy
12-02-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 142
I shoot in raw and use the raw button to change the format to jpeg if I am
only taking a quick shot of something that won't be used for print or net.
You should be able to configure it in the menu.

12-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 96
Original Poster
Why is there three menu entries for configuring the raw button?

Jeremy
12-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 418
QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
Why is there three menu entries for configuring the raw button?

Jeremy
it is like a process

so:
jpeg>raw
raw>raw+
raw+>jpeg

would mean that two presses of the raw button should go jpeg>raw>raw+

i think thats how it should works anyway...
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 96
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
it is like a process

so:
jpeg>raw
raw>raw+
raw+>jpeg

would mean that two presses of the raw button should go jpeg>raw>raw+

i think thats how it should works anyway...
No matter how many times I press it, it only toggles between RAW and RAW+ ... However, when doing this exercise I finally figured out how it works...

It has nothing to do with cycling through the menu entries. It has to do with changing the mode from what your menu is set to... For instance, mine is:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG

So, if my Rec. Mode > File Format is set to JPEG, then hitting the RAW button will *only* change it from JPEG to RAW, RAW to JPEG. Now, if I enter the menu and change my Rec. Mode > File Format to be RAW, now hitting the RAW button will toggle between RAW and RAW+. Finally, If my Rec. Mode > File Format is set to RAW+ then hitting the RAW button will toggle between RAW+ and JPEG.

That makes sense, but it would be nicer, IMHO, if it would cycle through all the options. Better yet, Pressing and holding the RAW button while moving your front control wheel to cycle through them :-)

Well, I'm glad I finally figured this out. I guess it was so hard because I came to it with a preconceived thought on how it should work (in my mind).

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Jeremy
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 188
QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
No matter how many times I press it, it only toggles between RAW and RAW+ ... However, when doing this exercise I finally figured out how it works...

It has nothing to do with cycling through the menu entries. It has to do with changing the mode from what your menu is set to... For instance, mine is:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG
This is correct, the left side is determined by the file format and the right side is what happens when you press the button.

I found that turning off the "cancel each time" box is better as I found myself inadvertently forgetting to hit the button.

As you know, you can change the effect of the button to anything you want so I think it's a great feature.

12-03-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 53
It would be even better if it could be programmed to turn on Spot metering. For me thats more useful.
12-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
QuoteOriginally posted by NorrisTudor Quote
It would be even better if it could be programmed to turn on Spot metering. For me thats more useful.
You could easily switch to spot metering with the metering mode lever.

I do see your point though, if it were another Function button (since there's one at the back) it might be better since we all have our own preferences/tastes.

My friends find it pretty cool though that we have a dedicated Raw button.
12-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
LaRee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,226
QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
No matter how many times I press it, it only toggles between RAW and RAW+ ... However, when doing this exercise I finally figured out how it works...

It has nothing to do with cycling through the menu entries. It has to do with changing the mode from what your menu is set to... For instance, mine is:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG

So, if my Rec. Mode > File Format is set to JPEG, then hitting the RAW button will *only* change it from JPEG to RAW, RAW to JPEG. Now, if I enter the menu and change my Rec. Mode > File Format to be RAW, now hitting the RAW button will toggle between RAW and RAW+. Finally, If my Rec. Mode > File Format is set to RAW+ then hitting the RAW button will toggle between RAW+ and JPEG.

That makes sense, but it would be nicer, IMHO, if it would cycle through all the options. Better yet, Pressing and holding the RAW button while moving your front control wheel to cycle through them :-)

Well, I'm glad I finally figured this out. I guess it was so hard because I came to it with a preconceived thought on how it should work (in my mind).

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy. I mostly shoot in raw but it is nice to know the actual specifics to how this button works and interacts with the file setting I have chosen in the menu. It is a bit confusing between what the manual states and how it actually works.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
button, camera, dslr, jpeg, menu, mode, photography, setup
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5 programmable RAW/Fx button ... who is using it yet? jpzk Pentax K-5 6 10-22-2010 12:44 PM
Programmable RAW button breischl Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 09-28-2010 04:54 PM
K10D RAW button PollitowuzHere Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 06-11-2008 07:27 PM
RAW button Selections Steve823 Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 04-30-2008 11:26 PM
RAW Button Programming Matt Photographic Technique 8 03-02-2008 06:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top