Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Configuring the K20D's RAW button?

I am confused on how to use this and the manual doesn't seem to help much. There are three menu entries under Rec. Mode > RAW Button. I have mine setup like:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG

The way the menu is setup, it would make me think that when in JPEG, pressing the RAW button would move it to the "RAW" mode. Then, when in the RAW mode, pressing the RAW button again would move it to the "RAW+" mode. Then, when in the RAW+ mode, pressing the RAW button again would put it back in the "JPEG" mode.

However, with the above configuration, pressing the RAW button only changes the mode from RAW to RAW+ and then from RAW+ to RAW.

I do not understand how this setup is suppose to work.

Thanks for any tips.

Jeremy

12-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
I am confused on how to use this and the manual doesn't seem to help much. There are three menu entries under Rec. Mode > RAW Button. I have mine setup like:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG

The way the menu is setup, it would make me think that when in JPEG, pressing the RAW button would move it to the "RAW" mode. Then, when in the RAW mode, pressing the RAW button again would move it to the "RAW+" mode. Then, when in the RAW+ mode, pressing the RAW button again would put it back in the "JPEG" mode.

However, with the above configuration, pressing the RAW button only changes the mode from RAW to RAW+ and then from RAW+ to RAW.

I do not understand how this setup is suppose to work.

Thanks for any tips.

Jeremy
Actually, as I pointed out in the "Instruction Manual typo" thread (or whatever I called it) my instructions say:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> Raw+ <------------------------- huh?

And the camera button only toggles:

RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> RAW

JPG-only is not an option. <------------------------

I'm on firmware 1.01.

I thought it might be because I'm shooting RAW, so JPG would not be an option, but even after changing it to shoot in JPG by default, the button only toggles between two options, not three - "blank" which I assume is JPG as the shots remaining go way up, and RAW.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-01-2008 at 08:48 PM.
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm on firmware 1.01.

I thought it might be because I'm shooting RAW, so JPG would not be an option, but even after changing it to shoot in JPG by default, the button only toggles between two options, not three - "blank" which I assume is JPG as the shots remaining go way up, and RAW.
I'm also on Firmware 1.01 and I cannot get it to do anything but RAW -> RAW+, RAW+ -> RAW, so the question is, what is the configuration in the menu for if it has no effect?

Jeremy
12-02-2008, 01:27 AM   #4

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I shoot in raw and use the raw button to change the format to jpeg if I am
only taking a quick shot of something that won't be used for print or net.
You should be able to configure it in the menu.

12-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Why is there three menu entries for configuring the raw button?

Jeremy
12-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Why is there three menu entries for configuring the raw button?

Jeremy
it is like a process

so:
jpeg>raw
raw>raw+
raw+>jpeg

would mean that two presses of the raw button should go jpeg>raw>raw+

i think thats how it should works anyway...
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
it is like a process

so:
jpeg>raw
raw>raw+
raw+>jpeg

would mean that two presses of the raw button should go jpeg>raw>raw+

i think thats how it should works anyway...
No matter how many times I press it, it only toggles between RAW and RAW+ ... However, when doing this exercise I finally figured out how it works...

It has nothing to do with cycling through the menu entries. It has to do with changing the mode from what your menu is set to... For instance, mine is:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG

So, if my Rec. Mode > File Format is set to JPEG, then hitting the RAW button will *only* change it from JPEG to RAW, RAW to JPEG. Now, if I enter the menu and change my Rec. Mode > File Format to be RAW, now hitting the RAW button will toggle between RAW and RAW+. Finally, If my Rec. Mode > File Format is set to RAW+ then hitting the RAW button will toggle between RAW+ and JPEG.

That makes sense, but it would be nicer, IMHO, if it would cycle through all the options. Better yet, Pressing and holding the RAW button while moving your front control wheel to cycle through them :-)

Well, I'm glad I finally figured this out. I guess it was so hard because I came to it with a preconceived thought on how it should work (in my mind).

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Jeremy
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #8

No matter how many times I press it, it only toggles between RAW and RAW+ ... However, when doing this exercise I finally figured out how it works...

It has nothing to do with cycling through the menu entries. It has to do with changing the mode from what your menu is set to... For instance, mine is:

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG
This is correct, the left side is determined by the file format and the right side is what happens when you press the button.

I found that turning off the "cancel each time" box is better as I found myself inadvertently forgetting to hit the button.

As you know, you can change the effect of the button to anything you want so I think it's a great feature.

12-03-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

It would be even better if it could be programmed to turn on Spot metering. For me thats more useful.
12-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorrisTudor Quote
It would be even better if it could be programmed to turn on Spot metering. For me thats more useful.
You could easily switch to spot metering with the metering mode lever.

I do see your point though, if it were another Function button (since there's one at the back) it might be better since we all have our own preferences/tastes.

My friends find it pretty cool though that we have a dedicated Raw button.
12-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter

JPEG -> RAW
RAW -> RAW+
RAW+ -> JPEG

So, if my Rec. Mode > File Format is set to JPEG, then hitting the RAW button will *only* change it from JPEG to RAW, RAW to JPEG. Now, if I enter the menu and change my Rec. Mode > File Format to be RAW, now hitting the RAW button will toggle between RAW and RAW+. Finally, If my Rec. Mode > File Format is set to RAW+ then hitting the RAW button will toggle between RAW+ and JPEG.

That makes sense, but it would be nicer, IMHO, if it would cycle through all the options. Better yet, Pressing and holding the RAW button while moving your front control wheel to cycle through them :-)

Well, I'm glad I finally figured this out. I guess it was so hard because I came to it with a preconceived thought on how it should work (in my mind).

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy. I mostly shoot in raw but it is nice to know the actual specifics to how this button works and interacts with the file setting I have chosen in the menu. It is a bit confusing between what the manual states and how it actually works.