Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2008, 05:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I just use the ISO I need to get the picture. Better go with a noisy picture than no picture at all. You can always correct noise (up to a point) in post processing.

12-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shot regulary at 800 iso with just some fine grainy noise. To me it looks much more like a flavor than a down side.

This picture was taken at 800 iso and has some grain that on my mind add to general feeling of the image.

About the way you select your iso setting, my reasonning is : from the shuttter speed needed for your subject (slow for still life with a wide angle, very fast for sport with a tele), and the approximate aperture you want (large for a portrait, small for landscape) you will be able to deduct the iso you need to get a correctly balanced picture.

Images on a K20D are pristine at 100 and 200 iso, clean at 400 iso, and grainy at 800 and 1600 - but on contrary of K10D's grain, K20D's is very likable. Dynamic range gets narrower as iso gets higher, so at high isos, it's very easy to burn or get dark one image. The photographer have to choose carefully what he wants to show and meter on it.

At the end, knowing the right iso to use for a given situation is a lot about try and fail.