Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help, could really use some input here

I just got my K10D back after the longest stay with Pentax service (from august) and now something new happened:
The camera can no longer activate the aperture blades of my lenses.
Checked with an A, a FA and a DA lens. The A and the FA are on the "A" position.

Anybody has any suggestions, please?

Or is it back to Pentax?

12-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Make sure you are enabling the aperture control under the Menu. Not sure exactly how the option is called (my camera is not here right now) but i know there is a setting related to this.

If you are lucky enough, that'll solve your problem!

Later

BB
12-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks BB,

But that option is for the opposite: to use the aperture ring on the lens.
I'm trying to work the aperture with the camera.
12-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Thanks BB,

But that option is for the opposite: to use the aperture ring on the lens.
I'm trying to work the aperture with the camera.
Uh oh... so lets wait for the experts to chime in!

12-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So what you are saying is, when in M or AV mode, when you turn the rear e-dial, aperture doesn't change? Hmmm, bummer, I hope it is something simple. Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the camera and lenses?
12-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #6

Have you checked to see if the dial assignments have been changed somehow?
12-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #7

check the aperture dial on your battery grip if you have one; it can stuck in between and disable the dial on the camera (happened to me once). If you don't have battery grip then...some1 else please...

12-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
So what you are saying is, when in M or AV mode, when you turn the rear e-dial, aperture doesn't change? Hmmm, bummer, I hope it is something simple. Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the camera and lenses?
Even simpler: when a lens with a "A" setting is detached from the body, the aperture blades are shut (set to the smallest position). When you attach the lens to the body, the aperture opens up. This is no longer the case.
Also, the preview button should set the aperture blades to the requested f number. This doesn't happen anymore.

QuoteOriginally posted by allill Quote
Have you checked to see if the dial assignments have been changed somehow?
Turning the dial chages the f number in the top lcd so, the 'attempt' is still made.

QuoteOriginally posted by nupentaxian Quote
check the aperture dial on your battery grip if you have one; it can stuck in between and disable the dial on the camera (happened to me once). If you don't have battery grip then...some1 else please...
Indeed, no battery grip here.

Thanks to all for your replies so far!
Just no cure yet.
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Guess it's back to pentax then...

Well, since nobody - myself included - seems to have an idea on how to fix this, it's back to pentax then.

I must say I'm anything but pleased with pentax right now: I've had my K10D for 18 months now and of those 18 months, it spent 6,5 months with pentax service.

Let me put it this way: I certainly wouldn't suggest pentax to anybody anymore.
No way!
12-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, since nobody - myself included - seems to have an idea on how to fix this, it's back to pentax then.

I must say I'm anything but pleased with pentax right now: I've had my K10D for 18 months now and of those 18 months, it spent 6,5 months with pentax service.

Let me put it this way: I certainly wouldn't suggest pentax to anybody anymore.
No way!
Sorry you had such a bad experience. I have had my K10D since Spring of 2007 and it has performed perfectly the entire time despite frequent use. My daughter has had hers for the same period of time and has carried it to rough locations on four continents including Antarctica. As far as I know, that unit has performed flawlessly as well. Ditto for my former co-worker that bought his K10D after spending a few minutes with mine.

You likely listed your problems elsewhere, but do you mind leaving a short list here as along with the fixes that Pentax service was supposed to perform? It would be helpful to know what issues may be coming in the future, what worked, and what did not.

Steve

BTW...Consumer Reports indicates 3-7% lemons for the dSLRs that they have sufficient data on (Pentax was absent). Nikon was the highest and Fuji was the lowest.
12-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got my K10D back after the longest stay with Pentax service (from august) and now something new happened:
The camera can no longer activate the aperture blades of my lenses.
Checked with an A, a FA and a DA lens. The A and the FA are on the "A" position.

Anybody has any suggestions, please?

Or is it back to Pentax?
The spring has fallen off the little lever that actuates the apeture.

I had this happen on my K100D, which looks to be all but identical to my K10D and K20D.

I also detached the same spring on my K10D trying to take pictures for another forum member showing how to fix the problem.

This is very hard to describe, but if you look into the lens opening you will see a little lever sort of thing on the (right? I am not near my camera now) that actuates the apeture when the exposure is made.

This lever moves straight up and down, but it has a small spring that holds it down and returns it after the aperture is closed down.

The spring hooks over a small bump on the back/side of the lever. If you can see/find the spring, you can try to hook it back where it belongs.

When my K100D had this problem, I could see the spring down lower in the body and I used something like a small pin and was able to get the pin through the hoop on the end of the spring. After that, I was able to slip it back into place over the spot on the lever where it belongs.

When I detached the spring on the K10D, I could not see it. I had to remove the bottom plate, and then I could see it. I was able to push it back up from the bottom so that I could get to it from the front and re-attach it like I did on the K-100D.

I will see if I have any pics at home later tonight.

Ray
12-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
The spring has fallen off the little lever that actuates the apeture.

I had this happen on my K100D, which looks to be all but identical to my K10D and K20D.

I also detached the same spring on my K10D trying to take pictures for another forum member showing how to fix the problem.

This is very hard to describe, but if you look into the lens opening you will see a little lever sort of thing on the (right? I am not near my camera now) that actuates the apeture when the exposure is made.

This lever moves straight up and down, but it has a small spring that holds it down and returns it after the aperture is closed down.

The spring hooks over a small bump on the back/side of the lever. If you can see/find the spring, you can try to hook it back where it belongs.

When my K100D had this problem, I could see the spring down lower in the body and I used something like a small pin and was able to get the pin through the hoop on the end of the spring. After that, I was able to slip it back into place over the spot on the lever where it belongs.

When I detached the spring on the K10D, I could not see it. I had to remove the bottom plate, and then I could see it. I was able to push it back up from the bottom so that I could get to it from the front and re-attach it like I did on the K-100D.

I will see if I have any pics at home later tonight.

Ray

Yes, I do see the lever but unfortunately, I also see the spring attached.
It was also my idea there was a problem in this area. I thought I remembered reading about it (must have been your post). It would seem there is a more serious problem. I'm sending it back to pentax this Saterday. It's still under warranty so what do I have to loose.
The warrenty is also the reason I wouldn't like to pull too drastic diy stunts on the camera like removing a base plate. These things normally void the warranty and also supersede my very humble technical skills.
12-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry you had such a bad experience. I have had my K10D since Spring of 2007 and it has performed perfectly the entire time despite frequent use. My daughter has had hers for the same period of time and has carried it to rough locations on four continents including Antarctica. As far as I know, that unit has performed flawlessly as well. Ditto for my former co-worker that bought his K10D after spending a few minutes with mine.

You likely listed your problems elsewhere, but do you mind leaving a short list here as along with the fixes that Pentax service was supposed to perform? It would be helpful to know what issues may be coming in the future, what worked, and what did not.

Steve

BTW...Consumer Reports indicates 3-7% lemons for the dSLRs that they have sufficient data on (Pentax was absent). Nikon was the highest and Fuji was the lowest.

Hey, thanks for the sympathy Steve.

As for what happened, it started out with this.

See what happened after Body and lens came back from pentax:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/30855-not-very-hap...m-germany.html

After I got everything back end of November, all seemed to be functioning well.
The note stated they adjusted AF on the camera (again), fixed one of the lenses (I didn't have a problem with before their first intervention) found two others ok, didn't even mention a third one and send one to Germany ( again one where I didn't have a problem with before their first intervention).

And now this happens.

I do know there are plenty of K10Ds out there that do not have any problem and that, statistically speaking, only a small percentage will have to be serviced. However, statistics offer little consolation for the individual.
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hey, thanks for the sympathy Steve.

As for what happened, it started out with this.

See what happened after Body and lens came back from pentax:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/30855-not-very-hap...m-germany.html

After I got everything back end of November, all seemed to be functioning well.
The note stated they adjusted AF on the camera (again), fixed one of the lenses (I didn't have a problem with before their first intervention) found two others ok, didn't even mention a third one and send one to Germany ( again one where I didn't have a problem with before their first intervention).

And now this happens.

I do know there are plenty of K10Ds out there that do not have any problem and that, statistically speaking, only a small percentage will have to be serviced. However, statistics offer little consolation for the individual.
I would be pretty upset as well, especially considering the investment in premium Pentax lenses. Based on your cluster of symptoms, it sounds to me like you probably have an issue with the lens contact connections in the body mount or something related further downstream inside the camera. At this point, if I were in your position, would be expecting a new, not refurbished, replacement body. Hopefully, they will work with you.

Steve