Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2021, 05:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I haven't used a K3 but have used the K5 and K5ii and K70 and think a K5 is "enough", or would be if it worked with KAF4. Honestly coming from the K100 and K200, the K5 was the only big jump I've experienced in practical performance, due mostly to dynamic range. Unlike everybody else on PF I dumped the 10mp sensor instantaneously when I got the K5 and never looked back. The 24mp sensor without the AA filter does have higher resolution, but a good bit of the practical difference for me goes away with sharpening, which (while obviously not actually increasing resolution) makes a much larger improvement for K5 images due to the AA filter. For what I photograph, which is mostly static subjects, I've mostly given up on PDAF and either use CDAF or (now that I have some f2.8 lenses) manual focus.
Thanks for your thoughts. It does seem that the K-5 (in either ii or iis form) is indeed enough.

09-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Thanks for your thoughts. It does seem that the K-5 (in either ii or iis form) is indeed enough.
Between my K5 and K5ii, the AF is definitely different on the K5ii: of course I'm sure the tungsten light issue was addressed and the sensitivity is higher. But it's still not what it needs to be; by that I mean that my f2.8 lenses either:

1. require more than the sadly insufficient +/-10 adjustment range (Pentax and 3rd party - even * lenses - both new and used);

2. can't be adjusted for both ends of the focal length range;

3. can't be adjusted for every subject distance (all my prime f2.8 lenses are macros, so maybe a bigger challenge than other primes.)

But CDAF is pretty good with any K5, original or ii variety. I should have said it before but the other huge leap I got with the K5 was having live view for the first time, and thus the more accurate AF capability. I was pretty happy with PDAF with all my cameras honestly when I only used small apertures, which is still a high percentage of my photos. Using longer lenses at larger apertures is what made me realize the shortcomings of the PDAF implementations.

Anyway I'd pay a premium - but only a very small one - for a K5ii vs. K5. Generally I find the premiums for the ii versions, especially the iis, more than I could justify, unless maybe I could test the camera with a lens I wanted to use and found it could give me the PDAF results that I needed in lighting conditions were an older K5 wouldn't be likely to focus accurately.
09-07-2021, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I haven't used a K3 but have used the K5 and K5ii and K70 and think a K5 is "enough", or would be if it worked with KAF4. Honestly coming from the K100 and K200, the K5 was the only big jump I've experienced in practical performance, due mostly to dynamic range. Unlike everybody else on PF I dumped the 10mp sensor instantaneously when I got the K5 and never looked back. The 24mp sensor without the AA filter does have higher resolution, but a good bit of the practical difference for me goes away with sharpening, which (while obviously not actually increasing resolution) makes a much larger improvement for K5 images due to the AA filter. For what I photograph, which is mostly static subjects, I've mostly given up on PDAF and either use CDAF or (now that I have some f2.8 lenses) manual focus.
That's not far from my own assessment. I had the K100D Super and upgraded to the K-50 which used the same sensor as the K-5 but had minor updates to focusing and did not have 14 bit raw - the K100D Super (6mp CCD) to K-50 (16mp CMOS) was a revelation in performance. The K-50 to K-3 (16mp to 24mp, AA filter vs. No AA Filter) was noticed but not dramatic. My suggestion to consider the K-3 over the K-5 is due to mainly three main factors:

1) Autofocus issues with artificial light (not an issue with K-5ii models I think.
2) KAF4 - just in case these become bigger factors.
3) Price - the K-5ii models seem to cost as much or more than the K-3

Other factors like dual SD slots are less of an issue for anyone considering an older body I would guess.
09-10-2021, 06:50 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all your suggestions...we have a winner!

I've ordered a 'Like New' K-3ii which my daughter can use when we go out together, and I'll obviously use it too. I paid a premium £524 for it from MPB. Reasons were: it's almost brand new, with everything including packaging etc, owner's manual, etc etc...

I wanted a body that would last, had 2 card slots, and was as new as possible. For my own amusement I looked at what £524 would get me new and that would be a Canon EOS 250D/ Nikon D5600 (both bodies only). It's quite amazing what one can get on the used market.

I know I could have picked up a K-70 but I had one once and am not keen on possible aperture block. Small chance I know, but still...

After all this, I hope she likes it!

09-11-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like you got a great buy for a great camera! No comparison from those Canon and Nikon models. Now she and you have a durable camera body made to professional standards with its build quality, features, and dedicated on-body controls. A good APS-C partner with your K-1.

I would recommend consideration for the Pentax AF 201 FG WR super-compact flash. It is inexpensive yet has more power than any built-in flash and even has a tilt head for bounce. I've found it to be very handy for my K-1 II, or even when I might need a bit more flash capability for my KP but still want compact carrying.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-11-2021 at 01:36 PM.
09-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Looks like you got a great buy for a great camera! No comparison from those Canon and Nikon models. Now she and you have a durable camera body made to professional standards with its build quality, features, and dedicated on-body controls. A good APS-C partner with your K-1.

I would recommend consideration for the Pentax AF 201 FG WR super-compact flash. It is inexpensive yet has more power than any built-in flash and even has a tilt head for bounce. I've found it to be very handy for my K-1 II, or even when I might need a bit more flash capability for my KP but still want compact carrying.
Thanks Mike - I actually picked one up in June for a good price. To be honest I do like a built-in flash for filling in but I don't think we'll ever see them again except on lower end models.

I'm super happy with my purchase - it arrives early next week so am keen to see what I got for my hard-earned £'s - and my daughter was even a little bit excited about going to take some photographs with her dad - quite a moment for a teen! Perhaps she might have to use the K-1 while her dad uses the K-3 "just to see what it's like!" I sold my K5iis and 35mm 2.8 macro to fund some Limiteds for the K-1 and am regretful that I did. Not to worry - the K-3ii is coming and I'm keeping a keen eye out for a 35 2.8 macro...watch this space!
09-12-2021, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
To be honest I do like a built-in flash for filling in
Me too! They can be very handy and effective. You and you daughter are apparently on a very good course for some fine shooting experiences. Always great to hear from you.