Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #46
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
What lenses?

You'll like this he K3. It's a great camera.
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 AF macro
Smc Pentax DA 50mm f1. 8
Smc Pentax DA 35mm f2.4
Smc Pentax M 50mm f1.7
Smc Pentax 35-70mm f3.5-4.5

09-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by columbus Quote
I am looking for some advice as to what camera would be a worthy upgrade to my current k10d. I recently picked it back up again after 3 years of using my phone camera and it has rekindled my interest in shooting with a dslr. I haven't really kept current with the various Pentax cameras that have come out since 2008, but I've started to do some research into what I might want to upgrade to. It seems as though going for something between the K-5 and K-3 ii would be a reasonable path for me.

My main complaints with the k10d have been the poor low iso and autofocus performance. I know anything newer will be far better, but are there any strong arguments for the K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis, K-3, or K-3 ii over one or the other? I am drawn to the K-3 ii due to the astro tracer feature and the pixel shift but the current prices on used K-3 bodies seem to be a bit over my price range. I'd like to keep my budget to around $300 for an upgraded body. I have seen a number of K-5 bodies going for around $220 but am hesitant to go with something with the age of the K-5.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me? Is it even worth considering mirrorless if I really enjoy the tactile-ness of using my k10d?
I still shoot with a K-5. It's a really good camera. You might want to go for the IIs. You'll only need to buy new batteries for it because most of them aren't performing as they used to when new.

09-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smc Pentax DA 50mm f1. 8
Smc Pentax DA 35mm f2.4
Smc Pentax M 50mm f1.7
Very good lenses. However, except for the two DA 35 and 50mm, the other three were designed for 35mm film or full frame (FF) DSLR use, the two zoom lenses being able to provide a wide angle FOV, but when used on APS-C camera bodies, none of your lenses will provide any wide angle at all.
09-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Very good lenses. However, except for the two DA 35 and 50mm, the other three were designed for 35mm film or full frame (FF) DSLR use, the two zoom lenses being able to provide a wide angle FOV, but when used on APS-C camera bodies, none of your lenses will provide any wide angle at all.
Yep, I'm ok with that. I have a DA 16-45 f/4 already, so I'm covered for wide angle for now. I will probably try to find a faster wide prime or zoom in the future.

09-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Smc Pentax DA 50mm f1. 8
Smc Pentax DA 35mm f2.4
Smc Pentax M 50mm f1.7
If anything, keep the Tamron! You can use it on any film cameras you have/get down the road & on the Pentax K-1/Mk 2 (& any other FF cameras they release down the road)
09-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #51
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
If anything, keep the Tamron! You can use it on any film cameras you have/get down the road & on the Pentax K-1/Mk 2 (& any other FF cameras they release down the road)
🤔 Nice! I'm excited to see which lenses I like too
09-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, I'm ok with that. I have a DA 16-45 f/4 already, so I'm covered for wide angle for now.
That's a good one- you're fine. You might still possibly consider that DA 18-135mm all-arounder at some point due to versatility, great AF, and it has WR construction like your camera. It is also far lighter than your Tamron 28-75mm for carrying when you don't need that f/2.8 aperture. It can keep to f/3.5-4..5 out to 70mm. With Nikon or Canon, for instance, you cannot shop new cameras that have WR construction until getting into at least the $1,000 USD range on up while Pentax now has it through the entire lineup. Shopping new lenses with those other brands will likewise be $1,000 up for WR. A camera cannot be actually WR unless having a WR lens on it.

As to telephoto, with the K-5 IIs, there is the HD 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR, which I have and like very much- and still available new, and with a K-3 or later model there is the later HD 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED WR which is one of the few having the new and extra-fast PLM AF. I still hang happily with my older one, as its old reliable screw-driven AF is good enough for my needs, and image quality is close between them. They are both bargain lenses for what they bring.

09-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #53
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's a good one- you're fine. You might still possibly consider that DA 18-135mm all-arounder at some point due to versatility, great AF, and it has WR construction like your camera. It is also far lighter than your Tamron 28-75mm for carrying when you don't need that f/2.8 aperture. It can keep to f/3.5-4..5 out to 70mm. With Nikon or Canon, for instance, you cannot shop new cameras that have WR construction until getting into at least the $1,000 USD range on up while Pentax now has it through the entire lineup. Shopping new lenses with those other brands will likewise be $1,000 up for WR. A camera cannot be actually WR unless having a WR lens on it.

As to telephoto, with the K-5 IIs, there is the HD 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR, which I have and like very much- and still available new, and with a K-3 or later model there is the later HD 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED WR which is one of the few having the new and extra-fast PLM AF. I still hang happily with my older one, as its old reliable screw-driven AF is good enough for my needs, and image quality is close between them. They are both bargain lenses for what they bring.
Yes, I've avoided shooting in foul weather with my k10d since I don't currently own a WR lens and I plan to continue to avoid the foul weather. I was just looking at the DA 18-135mm and it is definitely attractive since I would love to take my camera backpacking and backcountry skiing in the future.
09-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My model history is *ist DS, K10D, K-5, KP. The K-5 was a fantastic upgrade from the K10D and I am not disappointed with all I got from it. The KP was my next step up when an opportunity arose, not because I was dissatisfied with the K-5, which I sold to another Pentax upgrader much to his delight. The K-5 is an excellent machine.
09-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I'm ok with that. I have a DA 16-45 f/4 already, so I'm covered for wide angle for now. I will probably try to find a faster wide prime or zoom in the future.
Faster wide primes are a bit scarce in Pentax crop land. The da 21 is f3.2, the da 15 is f4, the da 14 is f2.8 but discontinued. There are other options that are 3rd party and/or older but generally speaking the fast wide angle options are zooms: da 16-50, DA 20-40 limited, da 11-18, DFA 15-30
09-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #56

I am looking for some advice as to what camera would be a worthy upgrade to my current k10d. I recently picked it back up again after 3 years of using my phone camera and it has rekindled my interest in shooting with a dslr. I haven't really kept current with the various Pentax cameras that have come out since 2008, but I've started to do some research into what I might want to upgrade to. It seems as though going for something between the K-5 and K-3 ii would be a reasonable path for me.

My main complaints with the k10d have been the poor low iso and autofocus performance. I know anything newer will be far better, but are there any strong arguments for the K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis, K-3, or K-3 ii over one or the other? I am drawn to the K-3 ii due to the astro tracer feature and the pixel shift but the current prices on used K-3 bodies seem to be a bit over my price range. I'd like to keep my budget to around $300 for an upgraded body. I have seen a number of K-5 bodies going for around $220 but am hesitant to go with something with the age of the K-5.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me? Is it even worth considering mirrorless if I really enjoy the tactile-ness of using my k10d?
I have just acquired a K3 11 for around $600 NZ dollars. Astroteacer, light, fast focusing. I had a K1 but too heavy for me with bigger lenses
09-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I've avoided shooting in foul weather with my k10d since I don't currently own a WR lens and I plan to continue to avoid the foul weather. I was just looking at the DA 18-135mm and it is definitely attractive since I would love to take my camera backpacking and backcountry skiing in the future.
It is an excellent choice for this kind of use. Amazingly compact for such a wide zoom range, and for less need for lens-changing yet with high quality results. Wonderful on my K-5 IIs. If you look through he offerings in that thread in the lens section, "DA 18-135mm WR Show us what it can do" and start with the last page (most recent) and work backwards, often the camera model is also given. Of course there are good and not so good photos taken with the best equipment, but among the results you can find good examples that will demonstrate differences in imaging, resolution, etc. from the camera models also. That is how good this lens is. It can even deliver very good closeups.
09-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #58
Forum Member

Original Poster
It is an excellent choice for this kind of use. Amazingly compact for such a wide zoom range, and for less need for lens-changing yet with high quality results. Wonderful on my K-5 IIs. If you look through he offerings in that thread in the lens section, "DA 18-135mm WR Show us what it can do" and start with the last page (most recent) and work backwards, often the camera model is also given. Of course there are good and not so good photos taken with the best equipment, but among the results you can find good examples that will demonstrate differences in imaging, resolution, etc. from the camera models also. That is how good this lens is. It can even deliver very good closeups.
Yes, I've been looking through that thread and have been impressed with the quality of the photos. I've also looked through the da 16-85mm thread.
09-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No one suggested a K-70... It has pixel shift and can astro trace with the GPS unit. It's light and compact and had the flip out screen (which I prefer). There's no battery grip, but it really doesn't need one as it fits my hand nicely. Yeah there's a possibility of aperture block failure, but that's an easy DYI fix for $50 and if your tinkering with lenses, the solenoid replacement is easy by comparison. I picked up my K-70 with 96 clicks for $400. Yes, I did get aperture block failure and fixed it myself with the white solenoid. I'd probably prefer a K3ii if I saw one for $400...but most are $600+.

09-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
No one suggested a K-70...
I mentioned it in post number five but not strongly. It’s a good choice for people who are willing to gamble or willing to diy the repair.