Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by columbus Quote
. . .I mostly do mountain landscapes nowadays. I am very intrigued by astro photography, I just never gave it a chance on my K10d. I have done street photography in the past, but I've since moved to the mountains away from the city. I don't really see a need for a camera that is more "pocketable" for me. Who knows though, my photographic interests may change after an upgrade
so you don't need to worry about " burst " mode [ Continuous Shooting ] it would seem

I don't do astro so what would be of interest in comparing different DSLR will have to come from other members

you might want to try the K 10d and see how it works for you on astro before upgrading

. . . I am mostly interested in more of the landscape astro/milky way style at this point.
if not doing a " timed " exposure, perhaps it would work

otherwise you would end up with " star trails "

here are some articles on the current

QuoteQuote:
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit
Introduction
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide
Introduction
O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

09-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
I recently upgraded to the K-5IIs and love it. In particular, I wanted high ISO performance, but did not want a large file size. The K-5IIs fits right into that slot, and has great ergonomics - along with being almost bulletproof! Enjoy your new camera, whichever one you eventually choose.
I concur, since I now have the excellent KP as well as a K-1 II, yet I still appreciate and sometimes use my K-5 IIs of numerous years. As many have said, it still delivers very pleasing images. It has some important updates over the original K-5 (which I also have), one of which was improved AF performance with many lenses. The "s" means it omits the AA filter which can obscure fine detail, and I did indeed find images from my IIs were exhibiting better fine detail than those from my original K-5. All models since are without the AA filter. I have found moire to be a rare occurrence in my usage, and thus not problematic. Its low light/higher ISO performance is definitely above that of your K10D- and every bit as good as a K-3, perhaps even a tad better. Its excellent dynamic range is highly regarded.

The K-5 IIs brings a number of advancements over the K10D to make it a very worthy choice without costing an arm & leg, or shooting file sizes through the roof. Of the new Pentax lenses that have come out over the past 5 years or so, only a very few are PLM.

It might take some patience, but eventually you should be able to find a good one with modest usage and in excellent condition, since the K-3 III has arrived to trigger a desire for further upgrading.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-03-2021 at 11:10 AM.
09-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I moved from film camera SFX to K10 to K3II (both new) . In some aspects I found the K10 - although performing in general well and having the benefits of digital - a bit less performing than my initial film camera in low light conditions, I would say in my experience the K10 ISO's and resolution couldn't beat the old ASA's (i remember using often 400-800 ASA film) . I must admit I was never able to test the comparison of the SFX against K10 - the shutter of the SFX died and never got repaired, so I just "switched".

The move to the K3II felt as a huge improvement - it was also a decade in technology - and I am still a happy user and will stick with it for some more time.

Initially I feared the lack of flash on the K3II but it was never a real problem; the newer sensor's sensitivy proved sufficient for my usage in low light conditions. I was happy with the improved iso performance, improved autofocus and the presence of the GPS (for logging during travel - can't comment on astrotracer).
I am using the K3II with a range of vintage (k and m type) and recent lenses without any problem. Especially the autofocus of the newer electric motor autofocus (SDM...HSM) lenses is a huge benefit compared to the screwdrive lenses : less noise, faster... (but i still use my old manual and screwdrive focus lenses).

I have never owned a K5... so can't judge that one.

09-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #34

Yea, I'm sure I'll be blown away with everything newer. It seems like the K-5 is the most commonly listed camera on used sites/ebay/etc though unfortunately. I've read a little bit about the teething pains. I'd really love to find a reasonably priced K-3 ii but I haven't thus far. I'll have to keep my eye out. Thanks
Regarding the "teething" problems with the K-5, I think if you can find a late model K-5 in good to excellent condition, you will be fine. I have a late model one purchased about a month before the K-5 II/K-5 IIs were announced as well a K-3. Aside from the fluorescent light issue, my copy has been fine. I do use both on a fairly regular basis, but there are times when 16 megapixels are more than adequate and the K-5 has 2 advantages over the K-3: it can go down to 80 iso and mechanical shake reduction works in video mode. Given the price difference I wouldn't rule out the K-5, thought if you can find either model of K-5 II at an acceptable price that would probably be your best bet.

Last edited by BryantCP; 09-04-2021 at 05:31 AM.
09-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me?
You have received a lot of good advice on this thread and after reading your responses I see that total investment is a strong consideration. That is a difficult position to be in. I won't write your story for you and am resisting the urge tell more of my own upgrade tale beyond the previous post. I will, however, throw in a few personal notes regarding my work.
  • Traditionally, I have had a strong emphasis on landscape and yes, much of that involves mountains.
  • With the exception of my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 (C) walk-around, I don't own any AF lenses with in-lens motors, though I do appreciate that feature (snappy and silent).
  • I leave my AF point on "spot".
  • Most of my better work has been manual focus and I shoot a lot with manual focus lenses, many of them of some age.
  • Some of my work is eclectic.
  • I print my K10D stuff to the same size as that from the K-3, 11x19.
  • I still do film work.
  • I work on tripod when possible.
  • I don't use tools that get in the way of the work.
I generally don't link back to my Flickr stream, but here you go...yes, there is a photo of a giant mouse....

fotostevia | Flickr

Steve
09-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You have received a lot of good advice on this thread and after reading your responses I see that total investment is a strong consideration. That is a difficult position to be in.
I'm very thankful for all the advice in this thread - I remember doing a ton of research here when I first got my k10d as well. What do you mean with the "total investment" statement?
09-04-2021, 07:23 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very thankful for all the advice in this thread - I remember doing a ton of research here when I first got my k10d as well. What do you mean with the "total investment" statement?
Perhaps

there is always the urge to buy more

09-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I'd like to keep it under $300 for a new camera body, but that could be stretched a little bit.
Hard to do better than a K-5IIs at that price, though you could probably find a well used K-3 if you need slightly better AF performance and better live view.

The K-5IIs has better IQ and noise performance than the K-3 though, even taking the camera resolution into account.
09-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have received alot of advice here. I'd like to add a little bit.

1) You mentioned converting your K10D to infrared. DON'T! I did it. You get great images with it in IR. They are "smoother" and seem to have more latitude than my converted K3II. I must have 20-30 posted here. However since you convert cameras to IR rarely, convert a more modern one. You will end up with an old worn camera that had less initial life expectancy. The K10D does not have live view, a handicap for IR. You sometimes cannot visualize how the scene will look in IR. The LV helps. It will take DIFFERENT batteries than your K5II/K3/K3II. That is a major PIA. I did that for over a dozen years. You will have a camera that will not be able to take the more modern lenses see should one come your way in the future. You K10D is special the way it is. Keep it that way.

2) I have had both a K5 and a K3. Just my subjective impression without objective data. The K3 was much better with AF. Its resolution with pixel peeping was more satisfying. If my K3 experience was like my K5 I would be with Canon now. That may have been confirmation bias after spending several hundred dollars.

If you can stretch and get the K3 II. That pixel shift for enhanced resolution is great. The astrotracer is built-in, no need to find and buy one. You can get any future lens that Pentax might offer or currently sells.
09-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Hard to do better than a K-5IIs at that price, though you could probably find a well used K-3 if you need slightly better AF performance and better live view.

The K-5IIs has better IQ and noise performance than the K-3 though, even taking the camera resolution into account.
I agree. The AF performance was upgraded over the original k-5, in addition to its other upgrades.

As to an all-around lens, the DA 18-135mm WR lens on this camera as well as on any other model, will deliver the same fast, accurate and quiet AF while providing fine performance. It is also amazingly compact and well-made for its wide zoom range. I have a number of other alternative lenses, some with more aperture, but of less zoom range, yet this lens is still my go-to when I need its versatility, and I have no worries about its quality. Some have experienced the development of zoom creep. Even after 10 years, I don't have this issue. But I never carry my cameras loose hanging down on a strap. Instead, I use a belt-loop holster case also having the across-shoulder strap as well for stability, weight distribution, and security. I then have instant access when needed, then return the camera to the case after taking my shots. You should eventually be able to find a good used DA 18-135mm at reasonable cost. You can see examples taken with this lens and perhaps some even with the K-5 IIs, in the SLR Lens section under the thread- "DA 18-135mm WR Show us what it can do". Start with the last page, which is the most recent and work backward. One thing at a time, of course. If your need is for a shorter fast-aperture zoom lens, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM is my recommendation.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-05-2021 at 06:28 PM.
09-05-2021, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the recommendations in this thread everyone, I really do appreciate it. I found a good deal on a used K-3 with two DA primes and an older Tamron zoom. I am happy I decided to stretch my budget a little bit and I'm very excited to get back into taking photos after it arrives.
09-05-2021, 07:16 PM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I found a good deal on a used K-3 with two DA primes and an older Tamron zoom. I am happy I decided to stretch my budget a little bit and I'm very excited to get back into taking photos after it arrives.
enjoy your newly acquired equipment

and have fun with your photography
09-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the recommendations in this thread everyone, I really do appreciate it. I found a good deal on a used K-3 with two DA primes and an older Tamron zoom. I am happy I decided to stretch my budget a little bit and I'm very excited to get back into taking photos after it arrives.
What lenses?

You'll like this he K3. It's a great camera.
09-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went from K-200d to K-5 to K-3.

I suggest you go to K-3 or K-3ii, or KP, or K-70. You will notice the difference.
09-05-2021, 10:06 PM   #45
Pentaxian

The K-5 can be a good value, but all of them have the fatal flaw of no KAF4 compatibility. If you're going to stick with Pentax going forward, I wouldn't recommend one. If this will likely be your last dance with Pentax and you'll only use older lenses, then a K-5 would be fine. The ii varieties, particularly the iis, seem to be in sufficient demand that they're not worth the premium over the original, unless you find an unusually low-priced example.