Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 09:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Richness of Pentax images

I find that the photos I've taken over many decades with Pentax cameras are very rich in color, which I like. Sometimes when I use a non-Pentax lens on a Pentax the lack of rich colors is immediately noticeable. Is this feature a result of Pentax lens coatings or because of the rendering of the image by Pentax software? Do other brands of DSLRs produce similar rich colors? What say ye learned Pentaxians?

09-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I find that the photos I've taken over many decades with Pentax cameras are very rich in color, which I like. Sometimes when I use a non-Pentax lens on a Pentax the lack of rich colors is immediately noticeable. Is this feature a result of Pentax lens coatings or because of the rendering of the image by Pentax software? Do other brands of DSLRs produce similar rich colors? What say ye learned Pentaxians?
It's matter of preference. Personally, I don't generally like Nikon's colours, they seem to me a bit blue. I don't like the colours from my ZS 100, they seem overdone, even the raw right off the camera. But, I suspect it's matter of what you're used to. You just never hear Canon users comparing about Canon colours, or Nikon users complaining about Nikon colours. You learn to live with what you use. But I've many time heard off brand users complain about the colour renditions from other companies. They take some getting used to.
09-15-2021, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Colours are weird things for me.

From the very few samples I've personally taken with brands, I've noticed that Pentax colours are generally 'warmer'.
However, I shoot in RAW and will modify my colour profiles, white balance, and calibrations to match how I want to presented my image's message effectively.

So the whole 'colour science' spin that some people hold to just doesn't make sense to me, unless you exclusively shoot JPEGs I guess.

I'm also a wee bit (red-green deficit) colour blind :P

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-15-2021 at 10:44 AM.
09-15-2021, 09:51 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You may find this of interest.
Lens Rentals | Blog

As stated at the begining:
"This is a Geek Level 3 Article. It has no useful information about photography or videography. If you’re a lens geek, though, it’s kind of cool."

09-15-2021, 09:58 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Follow up blog post.
Lens Rentals | Blog
09-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not enough information to say.
09-15-2021, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What say ye learned Pentaxians?
Different people perceive color differently and there is a ton of variability in regards to display media. Default JPEGs from a Pentax camera are cooked to certain look, but I am unwilling to lay claim to a consistent "Pentax color" through more than six decades of lens manufacture.

Steve

(...falls into the same pot of silliness as "Zeiss look" and "Leica look"...)

09-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Follow up blog post.
Lens Rentals | Blog
Thanks for those. Super interesting blog posts.
09-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I loved the Kodak colors from the Kodak CCD sensors. I have a Kodak ZD710 bridge camera from around 2007 or 2008, one of the last models produced by the original Eastman Kodak before they went belly up. Even today with my Pentax kit I've been unable to reproduce the color depth and richness that my Kodak puts out.
09-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So you think the colors are a result of the sensors and not the lens coatings?
09-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

So you think the colors are a result of the sensors and not the lens coatings?
It's for sure both. The optical path will have influence on the spectra I'm sure, as well as the sensor.
09-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ometimes when I use a non-Pentax lens on a Pentax the lack of rich colors is immediately noticeable
I think you mostly answered your own question. If you're just changing the lens, then your seeing a difference in optics and coatings. I think my Sigma lenses are cooler than my Pentax lenses. The sensor and how the files are generated by the camera certainly has impact too. I'm going to guess that the different manufacturers have developed target color profiles. I feel like the way a camera renders red is often talked about in reviews.
09-16-2021, 02:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Colours are a product of many things - sensors, processing settings, processing engine, lens design, lens coatings, the light itself...

I do like Pentax colours generally, I think they're one of the real strengths of the system. I also like the colours from my Fujifilm gear, although they're different. Canon are generally very good too. I don't like Nikon colours at all. I've heard that Olympus are very good and that Sony and Panasonic are generally poor. Of course, those are SOOC, you can do anything you like with a bit of PP.

A lot of it is down to preference.
09-16-2021, 04:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Colours are a product of many things - sensors, processing settings, processing engine, lens design, lens coatings, the light itself...

I do like Pentax colours generally, I think they're one of the real strengths of the system. I also like the colours from my Fujifilm gear, although they're different. Canon are generally very good too. I don't like Nikon colours at all. I've heard that Olympus are very good and that Sony and Panasonic are generally poor. Of course, those are SOOC, you can do anything you like with a bit of PP.

A lot of it is down to preference.
Jonathan do you find any difference in malleability of raw files across the lenses you use? I've realised that some lenses seem fine but can't handle pushing and pulling in post as well as others. For me this is largely related to vintage vs newer lenses but I'm wondering how this is across brands.

I understand many don't push their files and I'd rather not myself but dynamic range is often such that I have to underexpose significantly to avoid blown detail where I need it.
09-17-2021, 03:22 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
It's for sure both. The optical path will have influence on the spectra I'm sure, as well as the sensor.
I'm sure you're right. I often hear people talk about the SMC coatings on Pentax lenses and I believe they refer to the warmth they give. Since I usually use Pentax lenses it explains why I like images I get. If a camera adds to this richness you get an extra benefit.