Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2021, 03:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They say you get to like what you get used to. I strongly believe that. Food is one example, we often like our mother's cooking more than others'. But I have to say I find Nikon color a bit too rich. Canon makes really nice color, Pentax color is the most natural IMHO. Don't forget that Pentax glass is often praised for its coatings, that are an important parameter for color rendering.

09-17-2021, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Colours are weird things for me.

From the very few samples I've personally taken with brands, I've noticed that Pentax colours are generally 'warmer'.
However, I shoot in RAW and will modify my colour profiles, white balance, and calibrations to match how I want to presented my image's message effectively.

So the whole 'colour science' spin that some people hold to just doesn't make sense to me, unless you exclusively shoot JPEGs I guess.

I'm also a wee bit (red-green deficit) colour blind :P
Thanks for your comments on my posting. I found your link on Pentax Tips to be very interesting and informative.
09-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I reminded myself of lens rentals blog so I am reading newer articles.
This is in one of them.

Sony’s “color science” (a buzz-term I loathe) is often hotly debated, but honestly, I see a bigger difference between the colors you get from Adobe Lightroom versus Capture One Pro, as opposed to Sony versus Canon versus Nikon etc.
Lens Rentals | Blog
09-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #19
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
Thanks for your comments on my posting. I found your link on Pentax Tips to be very interesting and informative.
Glad to help out and I'm glad you like my videos!
:P

09-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Jonathan do you find any difference in malleability of raw files across the lenses you use? I've realised that some lenses seem fine but can't handle pushing and pulling in post as well as others. For me this is largely related to vintage vs newer lenses but I'm wondering how this is across brands.

I understand many don't push their files and I'd rather not myself but dynamic range is often such that I have to underexpose significantly to avoid blown detail where I need it.
I don't PP that much and when I do it's almost always in-camera, one of the reasons I like Pentax (and Fujifilm) cameras is the ability to do this.

I don't see why there would be any difference if the exposure is the same. Old manual lenses can be slightly less precise in exposure due to the limitation of where the aperture clicks are, and they're never more frequent than 1/2 stops, whereas on modern lenses it's 1/3.
09-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I don't PP that much and when I do it's almost always in-camera, one of the reasons I like Pentax (and Fujifilm) cameras is the ability to do this.

I don't see why there would be any difference if the exposure is the same. Old manual lenses can be slightly less precise in exposure due to the limitation of where the aperture clicks are, and they're never more frequent than 1/2 stops, whereas on modern lenses it's 1/3.
What I've found is that with say the K 135mm when you raise the shadows there isn't much detail there compared to more modern glass. Im guessing its flare or other internal reflections that dull the data in there. Someone else mentioned it as well.

It just makes me curious how much of the raw malleability and pushability is due to the lenses.