Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #1

K-m (2000) or the K200D

I am not sure which one to get. Is there a major drawback to the K-m? I am a novice and I am real close to buying myself a new DSLR and have narrowed everything down to Pentax.

So the K200D or the K-m?

12-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it's your only camera, I'd go with the K200D. Reasons:
1) Weathersealed (K2000 is not)
2) Same sensor and features as the K2000, only slightly bigger, a bit more rugged

I picked up the K-m (K2000) as a smaller alternative to my K10D, and for use exclusively with my DA Ltds. (small lenses)

Todd
12-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I picked up the K-m (K2000) as a smaller alternative to my K10D, and for use exclusively with my DA Ltds. (small lenses)

Todd
So, the K-m uses a specific lense bracket, not the K bracket to fit older lenses?
12-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beequick Quote
So, the K-m uses a specific lense bracket, not the K bracket to fit older lenses?
Nope, you misunderstood him.

He is using it mostly for a compact kit, matching to compact lenses.... but as with all pentax bodies, you can use it with all pentax lenses.

12-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

The Km/K2000 is almost identical to the K200D on a tech perspective, and in some ways it's better (faster continuous shooting). The K200D does have one feature I find especially useful is the top LCD. Being able to find out aperture and shutter information without having the rear display light up is awesome, even if that display doesn't have a backlight. The buttons and knobs also just feel a little more substantial in their operation, although that could be just the weather seals that make the difference.
12-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Can you afford the K200? If yes, then buy that.

I personally don't care about weather seals. I can only imagine one time when I absolutely had to be out there with my camera while it was raining.
12-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

One thing to take into consideration is the fact that the K200D is listed as a "discontinued" model on the Japanese Pentax website. That certainly doesn't disqualify it, but it could mean that the prices might come down to clear existing stock. In preparation for a replacement? Who knows.

12-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Simply for a novice I'd recommend the K-m... It must be one of the friendliest camera's out there for you...

If your demands out grow it, it should be easy enough to sell to another novice due to it's help function, and small size (ok a novice doesn't necessarily need small, but might appreciate it).
12-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's a great, cheap, rugged and very capable camera (K200D).

If you're after ruggedness in a small package, the K200D is your choice. If you just want small and easy to use, the K-m.

I (just my preference) would skip the K200D and go straight to the K20D, and get the K-m for small and light everyday shooting with my DA Ltds.

If I couldn't afford the K20D the K200D would be fine.
12-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

P. S. If you get a K-m and outgrow it quickly, sell it to me
12-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had the same dilemma.

I ended up getting the k200d.
1. DOF preview. I have some Pentax M lenses I want to be able to use. This may not matter to you since it sounds like you don't have any existing manual focus lenses.
2. Weather sealing.
3. I don't want to pay for the AF200 flash and I was concerned about the kit lens' plastic mount.
4. I decided against the K20/K10 mainly due to size/weight as well as ability to use AA batteries. K20 got ruled out also due to cost.

Along with MSN cashback and eBay coupon it came out to ~380 w lens. Some folks mention that they can get the K-m for about the same price from prodigital
12-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
1. DOF preview. I have some Pentax M lenses I want to be able to use. This may not matter to you since it sounds like you don't have any existing manual focus lenses.
Whether or not one already has M lenses, this is important to keep in mind - used manual focus lenses are a great way to get into "fast" (wide maximum aperture) prime lenses for very little money. It's not that they don't work at all with the K-m/K2000, but without the DOF preview, their functionality is rather more limited, since you won't be able to see a meter display. You can still use the button (I forget which on the K-m/K2000) to set an appropriate shutter speed for the chosen aperture - you just won't be able to see any indication in the viewfinder as the light changes. So not a total deal breaker if everything else is pointing toward the K-m/K2000, but if the potential for using manual lenses is high on your list for choosing Pentax, that might be reason to go with the K200D or K20D.
12-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh if you're going to be using the DA* zoom lenses, I think the K200D would be a better choice. You've got that weathersealing to match it.
12-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

More

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Nope, you misunderstood him.

He is using it mostly for a compact kit, matching to compact lenses.... but as with all pentax bodies, you can use it with all pentax lenses.
Thanks for clarifying BBear!

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Can you afford the K200? If yes, then buy that.

I personally don't care about weather seals. I can only imagine one time when I absolutely had to be out there with my camera while it was raining.
I agree here to an certain extent. I haven't used my K10D in rain very often (3-5 times), but I see everything first as travel photography (where you don't always choose when you're out in the weather; whether it's raining when you want to get that shot of the Brooklyn Bridge and the NYC skyline -- as I got dumped on last summer!), so the element of "peace of mind" comes into play for me.

Todd
12-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
I had the same dilemma.

2. Weather sealing.
3. I don't want to pay for the AF200 flash and I was concerned about the kit lens' plastic mount.
4. I decided against the K20/K10 mainly due to size/weight as well as ability to use AA batteries. K20 got ruled out also due to cost.

Along with MSN cashback and eBay coupon it came out to ~380 w lens. Some folks mention that they can get the K-m for about the same price from prodigital
I decided on the K200D for basically the same reasons. Plus, I have an old Honeywell Pentax lens I want to use. I guess I am officially a Pentax DSLR owner.

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Thanks for clarifying BBear!
Todd
Yes BBear thanks for the information.