Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #1

K20D vs. 50D in dpreview

is it just me or does the K20D crush the 50D in IQ?

Take a look at the details in from the bailey's bottle (2nd from bottom)

Canon EOS 50D Review: 28. Compared to (RAW): Digital Photography Review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page24.asp

In fact, look at the preservation of details in the noise test, it just crushes all of the others.

Canon EOS 50D Review: 17. Photographic tests (Noise): Digital Photography Review

Am I missing something here????

12-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've noticed that as well too when they first tested the K20D. It does have more noise than the other camera but it does retain a lot more of the detail which I think is more important.
12-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

This really isn't any news, to be honest. The 40D posted similar results against the K20D, and in the noise test, even did a little better than it's replacement, the 50D.

The difference is because of how the PRIME engine tackles noise reduction. Rather than smearing away all the noise (and subsequently a lot of detail as the ISO goes up), Pentax cameras seem to leave a lot more chroma noise behind, but also a lot more detail in the process. In absolute overall detail, the K20D trounces all the cameras they've compared it to. The problem here isn't the overall detail resolved, but the noise level. For a lot of people, the noise exhibited by the K20D would be termed unacceptable. However, this is a personal preference. They don't come out and slam the other brands for dropping so much detail at higher sensitivities, but you can tell by the K20D review that they were impressed by the way the K20D dealt with noise control, even if they didn't accept it with open-armed admiration.

Saying the Pentax kicks ass in detail resolving at high ISOs and the other manufacturers could learn a thing or two from them would be a real good way to start a flame war with their readers, so naturally, that topic isn't addressed.
12-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
40D owners have also griped about how the 50D is a step backwards :-)

12-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the images at 'imaging resource' and compare the k20D to any Canon line up, even the even the 1Ds Mark III, check the face of the lady holding the flowers and looking right at the camera (this was discussed at dpreview recently)

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

The detail that the K20D shows is unreal.
12-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
40D owners have also griped about how the 50D is a step backwards :-)
If I were a Canon user I'd think the 50D is just a different beast altogether. Looks like it'd be a great and cheap Canon for large prints and all, instead of getting the 5D Mark II.

Not everyone thinks like me though haha.

As much as I like the 40D (great value) I just hate its LCD, it's just... bad
12-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I compared the iso 100 "dummy image" from the K20D to the Canon 50D, Nikon D90, D300, D700.

Right arm sleeve has more detail, as does the bobbles on necklace for starters - also the rose petals are rendered more correctly from the K20D

D

12-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Woiw..... the detail in the other cameras is simply demolished. i could not live with that.

Thanks again forum members for making me one of the happiest pentax owners ever.
12-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Check the images at 'imaging resource' and compare the k20D to any Canon line up, even the even the 1Ds Mark III, check the face of the lady holding the flowers and looking right at the camera (this was discussed at dpreview recently)

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

The detail that the K20D shows is unreal.

actually the Nikons appear to kick butt in those tests... almost as if they were focused sharper than others???
12-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #10

It depends if you do post processing or not. If you print straight from the JPEG, the Canon might be a better bet than the Pentax. If you do any post processing (and I do), then the Pentax is far better. I don't want my camera to do noise reduction processing; I want to fine tune my nose reduction on a quad core at my leisure.

Of course, people will read the DP reviews summary and figure that the Canon is 'better', which sells cameras.

I hope Pentax continue to do the right thing.

Jonathan