Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Understanding IBIS

I use a K-5 and K-70. The K-5 I use for shooting inventory, 80% of the shots straight down. I have found that when shooting down, I have to be careful with minor camera shake. With my lighting I am at 1/125 and if the IBIS is functioning in that position, then I should have a little more room for camera shake, but the images say no.

Does the IBIS work in every position including straight up and straight down?

Ok, thanks

09-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FlyingEagle Quote

No. Not the version in the k5 and k3. I don’t know if that’s addressed by any camera company. (At least that’s what I have been told. )
09-20-2021, 10:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would use a tripod, FlyingEagle. Turn off IBIS altogether, and shoot with a delay to avoid shutter/mirror shock.
09-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you shoot straight down you are probably using quite high magnification, where 3-axis IBIS (in K5 and K70) is not very efficient. For high magnification 5-axis stabilization is much better.

Last edited by Fogel70; 09-20-2021 at 10:45 PM.
09-21-2021, 02:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like it worked for my K1, I "scan" documents, camera looking down, hand-held and I can say IBIS works. What I can't say is how many stops of shake is produce by my hands when holding the camera downwards pointed.
09-21-2021, 04:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Looks like it worked for my K1, I "scan" documents, camera looking down, hand-held and I can say IBIS works. What I can't say is how many stops of shake is produce by my hands when holding the camera downwards pointed.
Just like the KP: 5-axis! (or the other way around)
09-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #7

I have a K-1. It has always seemed to me that SR was not as effective when shooting straight down. Maybe I am simply shakier (which would make sense), but I have to remind myself of this when shooting sidewalk leaves or similar.

09-22-2021, 07:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your biggest issue in macro or near macro shooting is not so much straight down must movement in the direction of the lens axis. Movement in This direction causes focus error and is totally uncompensated.

Ibis has depending on the sophistication, between 3 and 5 degrees of freedom (sometimes incorrectly called axis). Consider the 3 axis of the camera, X as the long dimension of the sensor, Y the short dimension of the sensor and Z the axis of the lens. You get correction for X , Y movement and rotation about Z as a minimum, and in later cameras pitch (rotation about the x axis and yaw rotation about the Y axis.

It’s not about camera orientation, it is all about movements other than closer and further away from the subject.
09-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had the answer the whole time, just needed to do some testing

Thanks for the comments and Lowell, your explanation was helpful and made me think about it more. I realized I just had to do some testing to see what was happening. So the answer is yes, IBIS works however the camera is oriented. In fact the aperture and shutter speed I use gave me a clear image even with IBIS off. So what was wrong? I found that at times the K-5 did not focus properly and that was the cause of what appeared to be camera shake. So by paying more attention to the focus, problem resolved.

Pentax I apologize for not giving your IBIS enough credit. I gotta remind myself, when there is a problem, it is probably user error.
09-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments and Lowell, your explanation was helpful and made me think about it more. I realized I just had to do some testing to see what was happening. So the answer is yes, IBIS works however the camera is oriented. In fact the aperture and shutter speed I use gave me a clear image even with IBIS off. So what was wrong? I found that at times the K-5 did not focus properly and that was the cause of what appeared to be camera shake. So by paying more attention to the focus, problem resolved.

Pentax I apologize for not giving your IBIS enough credit. I gotta remind myself, when there is a problem, it is probably user error.
People often say the biggest problem with any camera is 2-3 inches behind the view finder
09-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

You will probably find that the AF on your K5 is next to useless in anything other than daylight.
03-16-2024, 02:07 AM   #12

The AF was the main reason I left Pentax for Nikon 1 V1, which was like another world compared to anything Pentax, after that I bought a D600, and several more DSLRs and Nikon 1 cameras. Still love the Pentax Menu system!