Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New to dSLR's and need advice

I am new to dSLR, but a friend of mine has an older Pentax that I really like. I think it's the k100d but I'm not for sure. What I am for sure about I really liked the photos she took with it and I'm ready to upgrade my Nikon FM 10.

I went to a local camera shop and they have a k100d with a 2 lens kit for $649.

Is that a good deal? I have found the k200d in a 2 lens kit for about the same price, but I would have to pay shipping etc.

Would anyone recommend going used for something like this?

I'm looking to stay in that ballpark $$ wise, but I'm up for any and all suggestions. I've done some research into it, but I figured I'd come to the pros for some real advice. Thanks a million!

J-

12-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the k100d and at $650 it was a good deal when it came out. Now that you can get them for ~$200 used, not so much. I'd suggest the k200d or even the k2000d. Both newer cameras, newer features.
12-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
That sounds reasonable...I was looking at the maretplace on here and it seems quite a few folks are selling off k10d's. How would a k10d rate compared to the k200d? Is the k10d a better camera? Just curious...

Thanks again

J-
12-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IMHO, the K10D is better, just for the front wheel that I find so useful.
I'm a bit puzzled why someone would get a K200D actually...same sensor..less features than K10D...

12-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm a bit puzzled why someone would get a K200D actually...same sensor..less features than K10D...
I'd go for the K200D as opposed to a K100D kit at this time. I did upgrade to the K200D. I considered both the K10/20D but the deal breaker for me was the batteries. I prefered the AA's as I already have 16 Eneloops, so it made more sense for me to keep a camera that uses AAs. I do miss the front wheel that my *istD had but over the past year shooting with the K100, I've gotten used to not having the front wheel there.
12-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Smaller, lighter, takes AA batteries, quieter shutter, and some apparent improvements in the image processing hardware (A-D converter, firmware) that allegedly results in better high ISO performance even in both RAW and JPEG images. But obviously, the K10D wins on most other counts. So it depends on your priorities.
12-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the K200D. This is a very, very good camera.
Enjoy.
12-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

same sensor? ARe you sure?

12-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
same sensor? ARe you sure?
There have been unsubstantiated rumors that sony might have changed something between the k10D and K200D, but on the surface, withouth proof of that, it would seem hard to believe - the specs are identical, and it's also the same sensor used by Nikon and probably others. I don't think Pentax is a big enough player to be able to request customization of this sensor.

Similarly, despite speculation that the K2000/K-m might have a *different* 10MP Sony sensor, logic suggest this is not likely - it's almost certainly the same sensor to, with some differences in the surrounding hardware and firmware to provide ISO 3200 emulation.
12-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #10

It really depends on why you want a DSLR. Do you want to learn photography and want to enjoy the process or do you want to take good photos of vacations, birthdays, and holidays?
12-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
I went with the k200d kit. It seemed like the best deal.

I want to learn photography and have always wanted to know the in's and out's so to speak. I have a Nikon FM10 I bought about 7 years ago and have taken some great photos, but it was hard to learn what everything did (shutter speeds, ISO settings, metering) in terms of affecting the picture because you'd have to take the picture, process the film, and then try and remember what settings you had something on to know if it worked or not. I like the instant gratification (so to speak) of the dSLR because I can fiddle with some settings, take a picture, fiddle some more, take another picture, and can see what changed (I more of a do it to learn type person...books/tutorials help, but I need to physically see what is going on!).

Thanks for all of the advice. I know I'll be back once my camera gets here!

Thanks again

J-