Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #1

Who's shooting with multiple systems?

Having shot Pentax for a year and a half now, I am curious to know how Pentax differs from other systems namely Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Olympus. Instead of asking people who only used one system and are commited diehards, I want to know how do unbiased multi-system users feel about lens selection, autofocus, metering, imagine quality, value, and overall satisfaction? TIA.

12-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I had to use Canon with one of my clients... It was OK. The camera felt too toy like for me though. Only used a basic setup, so can't really offer anything in the way of lenses etc.

I think it was a 40d that I used.
12-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I was using my friends Nikon D80 with 50/1.4 and 18-200 VR and SB800 on a few ocasions, while he was using my K10D setup.
I was really impressed by AF accuracy and Nikon flash system.
I am also toying with idea of buying original Canon 5D, since they are getting ~$1500 in US now.
12-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
K10D and D80

I currently use the K10D and the Nikon D80. I feel that they compliment each other. Each has it own pros and cons.

The pros for the D80; Autofocus speed, better ISO performance above ISO 800, quieter shutter.

Cons for the D80; no built in shake reduction, not weather sealed, metering is not consisitently accurate, picture quality not as pleasing as the K10D (I cannot seem to find the sweat spot within the camera adjustments).

Pros for the K10D; Built in shake reduction, consistant metering, weather sealing, picture quality (noticeably sharper than the D80, especially noticeable while post processing in PSE6)

Cons for the K10D; Noisy shutter (Currently my K10D has over 50,000 actuations so I am not complaining. My D80 is considereably quiter but only has around 10,000 actuations), ISO performance above 800, accurate but slower autofocus.

I enjoy shooting both cameras and have never regretted the decision to shoot two systems.

12-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Canon EOS 10s film camera with a 50mm macro and ring light. I have a Nikon 70D at work. If you upgrade a body with those, lens upgrades may be mandatory as well.

Edit: I have both a FD macro lens and an EF macro lens. The FD is manual focus but I have the Canon adapter to use it on the EOS.
12-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nikon vs. Pentax

Well, I do shoot two systems (nikon and Pentax), but not for the same applications.
The two systems I own are two different formats and does not compare and I do not think they were meant to either...
I mean for stuff like the local indoor soccer turnament where I were forced to shoot at 1/250-1/320 @ f2.8 and ISO 6400 (and I still had to push another stop in PP).
Or the combination of "out of this world" low noice floor and DR at base ISO.
Yes the Nikon system I own is the better performer.

Personally I think Pentax holds its own very well against the APS-C competition though and that to me is what makes sense to compare and what I have commented on below.

IQ:
I never had a complaint with the K10D at base ISO, the output from the 10mp ccd is very very nice. the K20D I am not very familiar with, but it appears to be a step up, just as the 12MP Nikon APS-C offerings are.
I would write this one off as a tie.

AF
Now I still think Pentax has something to learn on AF technology and performance compared to the Nikon offerings, but unless you are shooting fast paced or lowlight action or events then it will be doing a very decent job.
I think Pentax has earned a bad reputation on AF and they are better than their reputation I think.
1 up for the Nikon

Build quality:
from the D200/300 and up the Nikons seems better build to me.
But the K10/20D is very solid too.
And the K200, K100 and K-m seems better constructed than the comparable nikons.
Overall a tie

Flash system:
While the pentax flash system when used right is a decent system, it simply does not come near the advanced Nikon CLS system, this is one place where there is a difference. The CLS is more consistent as well.
1 up for the Nikon

Metering:
They meters very differently, but when you get to know the two they are both very good systems. I like the fact that I can adjust the spot metering size and that spot and centerweighted metering can be used with all focus points.
So while the nikon is more advanced, they are to me equal.
Call it a tie.

Lens selection:
Well the nikkor line is huge compared to the pentax line and the "pro" line of lenses like the 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8 70-200VR, 200/2VR and telephoto exotics are absolutely stellar and yes IMHO better than what pentax has to compete with.
Nikon has a range of special lenses too, the 24,45 and 85mm T/S lenses, the two DC portrait primes, a weathersealed macro and not to mention my belowed 50mm f1.2 manual focus prime.
Pentax on the other hand has the limiteds and they have no match in the Nikkor lineup. the finest AF primes around in their range IMHO. The limiteds are why I am still shooting pentax.
Did I mention the FA43ltd my all time favourite lens regardless of system.
A tie in my book.

stabilisation:
Well two different ways around it.
I prefer the VR on the telhpoto side of things, but they seem equally effective to me and VR is lens dependant and having a "loose" element in the lens is something that worries me a bit, but then again so does a "loose" sensor.
The Pentax though works on every lens.
Form an effectivity point of view a tie.

Value:
Well do I really have to write anything other than just Pentax here.
IMHO Pentax are a bargain brand, you simply get soo much for soo little.
1 Up for Pentax

Satisfaction:
I am a higly satisfied customer with both brands.
A tie.

Overall:
Two excellent systems, that for me serves different purposes.

Now I would like to see a larger format digital from Pentax (35mm or 645), but that is about the only complaint I have with them and clearly irrelevant for this discussion.
12-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax k10D and Sony A 700

Picked up the A 700 at a real bargain price because I was looking for better metering in low light and faster AF for action shots. These two features are much better than my K10D. Still like the K10D better when using prime lenses and manual focus.

Ken

12-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for the reply, especially Duplo (beautiful work BTW!). Since both Nikon D80 and D200 uses the same sensor CCD as K10D, wouldn't Canon give you a better contrast in style with their CMOS sensor?
12-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Thank you all for the reply, especially Duplo (beautiful work BTW!). Since both Nikon D80 and D200 uses the same sensor CCD as K10D, wouldn't Canon give you a better contrast in style with their CMOS sensor?
I've shot with two systems: Pentax (10D & 20D) and Canon (40D). I used Canon system a great deal for birding and under most situations it is excellent. Under other conditions, well... back to the drawing board!

For landscape and macro work, Pentax is right up there. I have had some good success using Pentax for wildlife photography too.

Regards,
Marc
12-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
You are most welcome and thank you for your compliment.
I am not sure if the the question was to me, but marc (who just replied you btw ) has done a fair amount of work with the 40D so I will let him talk canon, as my only canon experience is a weekend and 500 shots with the 1DsIII and that is not really relevant for this comparison I think