Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2021, 01:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF adjustment and the 20 lenses limit

Have anyone found out what happens when you have reached the 20 lenses limit and want to correct focus accuracy on lens 21? Is it a first in-first out buffer or does it throw out a lens randomly? Or perhaps af adjustment is simply disabled for more lenses?

09-28-2021, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First: if this would be the case, I would send my body to the service to let it adjust.

Second: I would intensivly think about LBA ;-)
09-28-2021, 02:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Have anyone found out what happens when you have reached the 20 lenses limit and want to correct focus accuracy on lens 21? Is it a first in-first out buffer or does it throw out a lens randomly? Or perhaps af adjustment is simply disabled for more lenses?
Best bet is to work out which of your lenses need the same adjustment .......say you have 10 lenses that require +8. Remove those 10 from the APPLY ONE adjustment (I think you do that by simply re-setting the adjustment to "0" for each lens). Then with one of those lenses on the camera set the APPLY ALL adjustment to +8.

Now mount a lens which has a single adjustment registered in the camera (APPLY ONE) and put the menu into the APPLY ONE position.

Now, as long as you have the camera menu in the APPLY ONE position, any single calibrated lens (say +5) will honour that individual adjustment, and any non-registered lens (ie all your 10 lenses above) will automatically default to the APPLY ALL setting (+8), without you having to remember to change the menu setting.

You now have space for more individual adjustments.
09-28-2021, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What happens is your camera bag’s strap(s) break, one or more lenses smash on the ground and you’re back to less than 20. Problem solved.

09-28-2021, 05:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I remember reading that it's first in/first out, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how one would want or need 20+ lenses!
09-28-2021, 05:30 AM - 9 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I think I remember reading that it's first in/first out, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how one would want or need 20+ lenses!
LBA is a public service. We remove unwanted lenses from the wild and prevent them from becoming a burden on society.
09-28-2021, 06:21 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
It will make more sense if it is ' how one would want or need 120+ lenses!'

09-28-2021, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I have 22 lenses. At present, not one that I use on a regular basis needs a focus adjustment. So if you have more than 21 lenses that need focus adjustment, based on my experience you probably have 120+ lenses. But I fail to see how this would be a problem. Does every lens you own need a focus adjustment?

The lenses I use on a regualr basis. DA*55 1.4, DA* 60-250, DA* 200 2.8, DFA 28-105, DFA 100 macro, DA 18-135, DA 16-85, DA 55-300 PLM.

So I own 22, but regularly I use 7. And none of them need a focus adjustment.
09-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
These two lists are the adjustments for two of my cameras. The 4th column indicates with teleconverter or not.

Justeringer pr objektiv_K-3 III

Justeringer pr objektiv_K-3
09-28-2021, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

You can never have too many lenses.
09-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

AF fine adjustment is mostly helpful when shooting with razor thin depth of field, such as for subject isolation type of shots (portraits & macros). And there are two sources of errors, one comes from the camera , one come from each specific lens. Once a global correction is applied to correct for camera related error (common error to all lenses), there shouldn't be many lenses that still require a lens specific AF fine adjustment. Out of 9 lenses, I have +2 adjustment for one lens (70mm @ f2.8). AF adjustment can fool users because each AF routine performed by camera leads to a slight different focus plane, the spread of random error being as wide as +-5 in term of AF fine adjust. I've had to shoot 30 images for each AF fine adjust setting to average out focus precision in order to get the amount of systematic error that should be corrected. Practically, my AF precision error (random, that can't be corrected) was equivalent to about 5 points of the AF fine tuning scale, depending on focal length and apertures. Some people not aware of this may add AF fine tune corrections that actually make their auto-focus accuracy worse than not dialing any correction.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-28-2021 at 07:45 AM.
09-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So if you have more than 21 lenses that need focus adjustment, based on my experience you probably have 120+ lenses
He only needs 21 lenses. The error can be caused by the camera predominantly, not the lens. It is no coincidence all my lenses (16) require between +6 and +10. The camera's registration distance ... PDAF sensor and the sensor..... is what causes the issue.

You are lucky your camera is spot on, but there are plenty that are not. There is a reason Pentax and every manufacturer introduced the AF/FA menu. To allow for manufacturing tolerances that have always existed, but are only now very apparent with high MP cameras.

---------- Post added 09-28-21 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Once a global correction is applied to correct for camera related error (common error to all lenses), there shouldn't be many lenses that still require a lens specific AF fine adjustment. Out of 9 lenses, I have +2 adjustment for one lens (70mm @ f2.8)
You have defeated your own argument here.

If global correction corrects all lenses why do you use a different one for the 70mm ? The fact is that it is the specific camera/lens combo that may need correction.

I completely agree with you that anyone attempting to do a AF/FA without a rigorous empirical approach may be on a fools errand.
09-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Own 7 lenses, rent 5 for assignment and play with gear of friends and some manual lenses… 20 is not so difficult to reach.
Write down the values for lenses you keep longer. Helps to check settings from time to time and makes it easy to type in values in case of 20+.
09-28-2021, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you have more than 20 lenses needing fine adjustment, your camera is in need of service.

Public Service Announcement:
QuoteQuote:
Measurebation is a treatable disease. Get help now!

Steve

(...routine AF/FA without field evidence it is needed is silly...)
09-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #15
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I didn't know about this feature. Is there a beginner tutorial somewhere on if/how to identify lens that are off and how to set the camera body to adjust?