Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-70 is said to have fewer problems than the K-30/50 did. I’m using my K-30 with old film lenses, which is one answer; they would work even better if the “K-90” has the same firmware facility as the K-3iii does to make the older lenses more useful. Another answer - as long as there are old ‘white’ solenoids around - is to transplant them. A third answer is to use KAF4 lenses …. but right now there aren’t any inexpensive ‘standard’ lenses. So, there are answers besides finding old KP’s. We’ll just have to wait and see what Pentax does.

09-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-70 was such a great bargain when introduced in 2016 for $650 USD that it's a little hard to imagine Ricoh being able to match it in terms of value.

My K-70 is 2.5 years old with 50k actuations, continues to be a terrific small DSLR.
09-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
The KP is a great product they should have kept it and dumped the K70. I hope they come up with a new APS-C soon or perhaps a mirrorless using the k mount
09-28-2021, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
The KP is a great product they should have kept it and dumped the K70. I hope they come up with a new APS-C soon or perhaps a mirrorless using the k mount
The CEO of Ricoh Imaging is on record as saying that Pentax "cannot" go mirrorless.

09-29-2021, 03:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by balanzed Quote
Any new APS-C bodies on the horizon?
Just buy a K3 III or a K1 II and never look back.

---------- Post added 29-09-21 at 12:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The CEO of Ricoh Imaging is on record as saying that Pentax "cannot" go mirrorless.
Yes, but isn't mirrorless the future?

---------- Post added 29-09-21 at 12:24 ----------

So in terms of current APS-C bodies, we're down to the K-3iii and the aged K-70 (mine is aperture blocked now)
I think Ricoh should make a Pentax K70 II, very cheap, ~ $289 , but specify a shutter durability of 20 000, clearly written in the specification, so that customers who want to buy a low cost camera don't get upset when it fails, but just buy one or more new cameras to replace it, that should be enough to smooth out the revenues for Ricoh, that's basically the disposable DSLR concept, not so environment friendly but very attractive for low budget customers.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-29-2021 at 03:27 AM.
09-29-2021, 03:49 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Perhaps, but none bearing the Pentax brand. They just released the new K-3, don't you think that is enough? That must be successfull first before setting out on a new adventure with another APS-C. If you can find a KP go for that one, it is amazing!
My main camera is a K-1ii. The K-3iii is the most expensive DSLR Pentax has ever sold--and it's an APS-C. I'm looking for a more affordable secondary body to go with some of my APS-C lenses that don't match up well on a full-frame body, e.g., I love my 35mm limited macro on the K-70. If the KP hadn't been discontinued it would be the obvious choice, so why did they discontinue it? Every K-70 and every K-70 kit that B&H and Adorama has is being offered at $100-200 off. So I'm wondering if this indicates that they're trying to clear out their stock before a new camera body is introduced...
09-29-2021, 03:54 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

here are the beginning production dates of the most recent ASP-C Pentax cameras

K 3 III May of 2021

K P 2017

K 70 2016

K S2 2016

K S1 2016

K 3 II 2015

K 3 2013

who knows when another will come out

my WAG is that it will be years

K 3 III vs. K P vs K 70 vs K 3 II

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Thanks, yes, I'm seeing evidence of lots of knowledge and friendly members--comparing quite favorably against a FB group that I've dipped into recently... I fear that your WAG will turn out to be accurate and my APS-C lenses will molder in the meantime... Thanks for pointing me to that very relevant thread!

09-29-2021, 04:03 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
We're probably not going to get one for a while. There were some rumors circulating a while back about another APS-C camera in the works, but those rumors have died down a while ago.

They need to dump that solenoid mechanism & replace it with something reliable in their next "entry level" camera. It's getting ridiculous. They've already used it in 6 different cameras (K-30/50/500/S1/S2/70) & the problems still persist, though not as bad as failures in the K-30, K-50, & K-500 bodies.

One can also buy a used K-3/3II or KP body. Heck! Even the older K-5II/5IIs cameras are still nice, but they can't control the aperture on the newer KAF4 lenses.
It is difficult to understand why Pentax has put that same solenoid into so many cameras. I'm not going to buy any camera that with that too often defective solenoid. Further, I want cameras that can work with the widest range of lenses, so that means a newer camera that can manage KAF4 lenses.
09-29-2021, 04:04 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if the OP is interested in " experienced " gear, the forums' marketplace " buy/sell " should be examined

it can be sorted by country:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for another helpful tip!
09-29-2021, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is all meaningless conjecture which keeps us from facing the truth that Pentax is doomed.
09-29-2021, 04:06 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wouldn't be too surprised if we got a K-70 replacement in the next year or so. Now that all of the development work has gone into the K-3 III, components can easily be re-used to create a lower spec'ed model.
That would be great--and if Pentax were to give some indication of that I'd be satisfied.
09-29-2021, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think I'll take a somewhat less pessimistic tone. I would think it quite reasonable for a new K-70ish body sometime next year. They went a long time between KP and K-3iii but now they have quite old bodies with quite old tech in the APS-C line, except for the K-3iii. And that camera is too expensive to be the only APS-C body.
Agreed. The K-3iii is way too expensive to be the only reasonably up-to-date APS-C on offer. Seems to me it would be reasonable to have something APS-C selling for no more than a grand...

---------- Post added 09-29-21 at 04:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The K-70 is said to have fewer problems than the K-30/50 did. I’m using my K-30 with old film lenses, which is one answer; they would work even better if the “K-90” has the same firmware facility as the K-3iii does to make the older lenses more useful. Another answer - as long as there are old ‘white’ solenoids around - is to transplant them. A third answer is to use KAF4 lenses …. but right now there aren’t any inexpensive ‘standard’ lenses. So, there are answers besides finding old KP’s. We’ll just have to wait and see what Pentax does.
Regarding KAF4 lenses, I love my 55-300mm! It is significantly sharper on both my K-70 and my K-1ii than my 70-210mm is on my K-1ii, so the 55-300mm stays on the K-70 for now as it is my only APS-C KAF4 option. But I miss my 35mm limited macro. It is amazing on the K-70...

---------- Post added 09-29-21 at 04:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The K-70 was such a great bargain when introduced in 2016 for $650 USD that it's a little hard to imagine Ricoh being able to match it in terms of value.

My K-70 is 2.5 years old with 50k actuations, continues to be a terrific small DSLR.
Here's hoping that your luck with the K-70 continues. I have less than 15k actuations on mine.
09-29-2021, 04:29 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

...I'm looking for a more affordable secondary body to go with some of my APS-C lenses that don't match up well on a full-frame body, e.g., I love my 35mm limited macro on the K-70. If the KP hadn't been discontinued it would be the obvious choice, so why did they discontinue it?...
Just my opinion, but I think they had to discontinue the KP because it is just too good at almost half the cost of the K-3iii, so it would have reduced sales of that new model. Perhaps, as others have written, look out for a KP - a used model with a low shutter count (e.g. below 10,000) should be about the same cost as a new K-70 (before discount). It is a great compact DSLR and has a more robust build than the latter. Nevertheless, I would suggest buying with a good warranty - e.g. here in the UK SRS include a 12 month warranty on used items.

Philip
09-29-2021, 04:31 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
The KP definitely makes more sense to me at this point, but the K-70 probably makes more sense to Pentax as it is so attractively priced for first-timers who might be tempted to give Pentax a try.

---------- Post added 09-29-21 at 04:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Just my opinion, but I think they had to discontinue the KP because it is just too good at almost half the cost of the K-3iii, so it would have reduced sales of that new model. Perhaps, as others have written, look out for a KP - a used model with a low shutter count (e.g. below 10,000) should be about the same cost as a new K-70 (before discount). It is a great compact DSLR and has a more robust build than the latter. Nevertheless, I would suggest buying with a good warranty - e.g. here in the UK SRS include a 12 month warranty on used items.

Philip
Yes, unless/until I hear something definitive about a new APS-C body on the near-term horizon, I'll keep my eyes open for just such a KP...
09-29-2021, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

It is difficult to understand why Pentax has put that same solenoid into so many cameras. I'm not going to buy any camera that with that too often defective solenoid. Further, I want cameras that can work with the widest range of lenses, so that means a newer camera that can manage KAF4 lenses.
It it isn’t the same solenoid. The “Super Program” which I purchased in 1983 and used continually until 1995 is still a fine camera - but it is a film camera with manual focus. The manufacturer changed materials used when they moved solenoid production to China. There is still a place for a K70-like camera in the Pentax world. Pentax has stated aspirations to become a producer of premium cameras, so that would indicate a higher base price. They already did the basic engineering for the K-3iii, so I expect a K-70 successor with K-3iii focusing, ability to control aperture of KAF4 lenses, 4K video, and more graceful use of older lenses to come in around 1K.