Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #181
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paulo Quote
Hi All,

I do realize that this is relatively frequently asked question but answer depends on available equipment.

I wonder what set would give overall better quality - K-1 with dfa24-70 or new K-3III with new da*16-50. K-1 is a real monster in terms of IQ but the lens itself is just good only whereas the new da*16-50 seems to be one of the best apsc zooms whenever made. Better body with worse lens or better lens with little bit worse body?

Your opinions on that dear Pentaxians?

Regards,
Paulo.
Hi Paulo
Are you still here ?
I don;t have any of these combinations.

The assumption of " best duo " will take awhile to materialise.
I would explore the photos exhibited from both these combos before I assumed one is/was better than the other.
As you would have noticed the thread has turned " technical ", well I loose interest when that happens .
Buy what YOU want and enjoy.

Dave

10-17-2021, 01:43 PM - 4 Likes   #182
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi,

I'm still here I'm listening to the whole discussion and only convicing myself to stay with apsc. The last two weekends I was able to play outdoors with my KP and found the results really excellent. Maybe in a few months I'll acquire the new 16-50 and it will be enough. Buying K1 would only open the Pandora box with all these GAS, LBA and other disasters. Definitely I'd like to avoid them as much as possible ;-)

Regards,
Paulo

Last edited by Paulo; 10-17-2021 at 02:34 PM.
10-25-2021, 11:51 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Good decision, especially given your methods of use. I should have said the new 21mm f/2.4 Limited, not f/4 Limited. Even though for a FF body, still very useful on your KP as well. The DA 21mm has the small size advantage, and can deliver very fine imaging, but its max is f/3.2 and takes some stopping down for the edges to come up in quality. Both this new FF lens and the new DA* 16-50mm zoom lens have yet to be put through lab testing, but are expected to be superior in this regard. The new PLM lens having faster AF as well. The KP remains a marvelous camera, amazing for its compact design combined with high-end quality.

I can say for sure, there is no way I am considering getting the DFA 24-70mm f/2.8 for my K-1 II which is even heavier and larger than my very fine Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 lens, even though the Pentax DFA lens has an advantage in having wider angle and WR. I am quite satisfied with the performance of my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM on my KP, but might possibly consider replacing it with the new Pentax DA* PLM HD WR lens, depending on how tests turn out. The advantage in far less size and weight over the DFA 24-70mm FF setup with either of these lenses on the KP is considerable. The PLM AF should be a winner from the new HD DA* lens. That on the KP might even rival the AF speed of the new K-3 III, which is a main design objective of the new camera, though not up to having the fps for bursts, if that is important.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-26-2021 at 12:32 AM.