Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2021, 01:38 AM   #1

Best affordable heavy manual lenses on a Pentax K1

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'll be honest I have a rather silly reason to want a lens - I really want a heavy lens on my K-1 to have some heft and want to experience that heft while shooting images. I now have the DA 50 f/1.8 and it takes great images. I also have the 28-105mm kit lens which I got with the camera and that too is awesome. I was desperate for some reach when in a pinch so I got a very old 100-300mm lens from a Russian but its a very nice copy (0 autofocus creep even after many years), paint is nice and its well worn / used but smooth and functional. However, all these lenses are "light". The 28-105 is my heaviest lens and even that looks puny on my K-1. I want the big lenses, the heavy feel of operating one, and having that heft to hold.

Yes, I hear myself and its a very stupid reason. So obviously cannot spend any serious money on it - especially since I cannot afford any lenses from here in India, shipping alone jacks up the cost by $20-60 in a country where the monthly income is puny. Therefore, nicer glass like the DFA 24-70 f/2.8 are kind of out of question at the moment. Additionally, I incurred some personal expenses and definitely do not have money for quality new glass, even the 100 WR Macro.

So what are my options? Some other points :

1. I would not want a long range telephoto. Not only these cost a lot of money, my Nikon D5300 and 70-300 AF-P lens have okayish reach and insanely fast autofocus performance and tracking. Why fix what aint broke.

2. I would personally like a macro lens, or something in the 15-20mm focal length. These two needs are not met with my current lenses.

3. Image quality should be top notch - the affordability of lens should come from it being a good deal rather than IQ compromises. Being used to the 28-105 lens's quality, I would hate it if something produced dirty images.

4. The more situations the lenses is usable in, the better. I don't take much portraits unfortunately, so not looking for a portrait lens. But if it is portrait + macro then I'd love such a lens too.

Now with this very challenging set of criteria, I would love some recommendations from you experienced pentaxians on options (if any) that may exist!

10-13-2021, 02:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want a heavy macro then the F/FA 100mm f2.8 partly fits the bill but it is AF so does not have a heavy focus feel. Built like a tank and balances beautifully on the K1.
Heavy lenses have lots of glass and that is always expensive so your criteria may be beyond challenging.
10-13-2021, 02:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
F or FA 100 macro might do the trick if that's in the price range. They definitely have a pleasant heft, and turn out very nice images.
10-13-2021, 03:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
F or FA 100 macro might do the trick if that's in the price range. They definitely have a pleasant heft, and turn out very nice images.
I found this deal [Near MINT] Pentax SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F/2.8 Macro lens K mount From JAPAN | eBay

Is it a good price for this product?

10-13-2021, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

You want heavy … Tamron Adaptall 200-500mm, 2.2kg (4.8lb) … usually available quite cheaply. No macro unfortunately, closest focus about 3m (10ft)
In the same vein, but smaller and maybe meeting a couple of your criteria, Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm, 488gm (about a pound) and macro to 1:2 at 1.3ft. Will go to 1:1 with either the matching 2x flat-field converter (retaining auto-exposure, if you've go the appropriate adaptor) or extension tubes.
Many of the old Tamron Adaptall lenses still perform very well, are full-frame, obviously, but only m/f, if that's an issue.
10-13-2021, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can find and SMC-A 28-135mm Lens, it's beastly heavy with a long manual focus throw, but produces incredible results.

EDIT: I forgot it also produces very good Macro images

Last edited by robgski; 10-13-2021 at 05:42 AM.
10-13-2021, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a real beast, try and find a Vivitar Series 1 90 -180mm flat field macro. It is a very sharp lens with great image qualities.

10-13-2021, 04:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
I found this deal [Near MINT] Pentax SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F/2.8 Macro lens K mount From JAPAN | eBay

Is it a good price for this product?
Note that they mention “dirt” on the middle element.
10-13-2021, 04:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
You want heavy … Tamron Adaptall 200-500mm, 2.2kg (4.8lb) … usually available quite cheaply. No macro unfortunately, closest focus about 3m (10ft)
In the same vein, but smaller and maybe meeting a couple of your criteria, Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm, 488gm (about a pound) and macro to 1:2 at 1.3ft. Will go to 1:1 with either the matching 2x flat-field converter (retaining auto-exposure, if you've go the appropriate adaptor) or extension tubes.
Many of the old Tamron Adaptall lenses still perform very well, are full-frame, obviously, but only m/f, if that's an issue.
Which version are you talking about, my F5.6 version weighs in at 2.7 kilos (6 pounds for the metric impaired)
10-13-2021, 04:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Note that they mention “dirt” on the middle element.
They do, I noticed that. I am unable to predict what impact this has on the resulting image, and the seller also says ‘no impact on images’. Confused for sure!

---------- Post added 10-13-21 at 04:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
If you want a real beast, try and find a Vivitar Series 1 90 -180mm flat field macro. It is a very sharp lens with great image qualities.
Oooof lens is amazing but also expensive
10-13-2021, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not quite sure what is behind your desire for a "heavy" lens.
As others have stated already, "heavy weight " is often comming from a lot of glass and large max. aperture. And most of the time this means these lenses are relatively expensive.

You seem to be quite happy with the IQ of the lenses you have. So lack of weight is the only downside?

Why don't you just add some "dead weight" to your camera body, using the thread for tripod connection?
As stupid as it may sound, more weight and the increased inertia can reduce the sensitivity for camera shake for shots at slower speeds, though in modern cameras the SR technologies should eliminate the need for that.
10-13-2021, 05:01 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Add the battery grip for some more heft.
If you want some real heft, pick up a Pentax 6x7 to K mount adapter and a SMC Pentax 67 Macro 135 mm f4.
10-13-2021, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
heavy manual lenses on a Pentax K1
Many of the faster lenses can certainly add some front end weight to the camera... but don't tell my "Ladies" I said so.
10-13-2021, 05:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
If you can find and SMC-A 28-135mm Lens, it's beastly heavy with a long manual focus throw, but produces incredible results.
That, or how about the Pentax-A 35-105 F3.5 zoom?
It weighs "only 600g" and not macro but highly regarded all-purpose lens, and more common and cheaper than the aforementioned

It's funny to think "in reverse", usually lightweight is one of my important criteria in my own purchase decisions.
10-13-2021, 05:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Which version are you talking about, my F5.6 version weighs in at 2.7 kilos (6 pounds for the metric impaired)
Not sure which version … it's one of the original Adaptall f/6.9, not Adaptall-2, I'd guess yours is the later SP version, #31A, which is probably the better lens, the SP lenses were always very good