Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k200d vs. k10d

So what is the basic difference between these two cameras? Their specs seem similar, prices aren't that far apart. I'm having a terrible time deciding which one to buy (I shoot macro, nature, travel stuff).

12-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by traper99 Quote
So what is the basic difference between these two cameras? Their specs seem similar, prices aren't that far apart. I'm having a terrible time deciding which one to buy (I shoot macro, nature, travel stuff).
You might want to search for threads on this topic from earlier in the year when the k200D first came out, as it was discussed in depth very often. But the short summary is:

K10D is has a bigger/brighter viewfinder and more external controls on the camera, including two dials (front and rear). It is also bigger, heavier, and takes a proprietary Li-Ion battery rather than AA's. Some people have had problems with severe noise at high ISO on the K10D (especially early copies), but this has not been issue on the K200D, or on most recent K10D's.
12-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You might want to search for threads on this topic from earlier in the year when the k200D first came out, as it was discussed in depth very often. But the short summary is:

K10D is has a bigger/brighter viewfinder and more external controls on the camera, including two dials (front and rear). It is also bigger, heavier, and takes a proprietary Li-Ion battery rather than AA's. Some people have had problems with severe noise at high ISO on the K10D (especially early copies), but this has not been issue on the K200D, or on most recent K10D's.
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I recently bought a used K10D, how can I find out if it's an early or late release? The original owner bought in in Feb this year (not that it couldn't be old stock).
12-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was close to a tossup for me until the prices on the K20d came down, and I didn't have to make up my mind. In the end, I probably would have chosen the K10d for the better finder and more controls and better battery power, (the K200d's smallness would have been a nice consolation, given the role digital's been playing: for an entry-level I really liked the handling. I'm glad I get to kick it up a notch, though, I expect the K20d will be plenty of camera for me for quite a while.)

Both pretty good, though.