Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2021, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #1

K-70 Or K-1 ii For Concerts

Concert photographer here. I'm switching out my K-7 for a new unit. I have a choice between either a never used K-70 or a low-actuation K-1 ii.

Knowing the lighting conditions at shows which would be your choice and why?

Thanks for the info and help.

10-17-2021, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is a side by side comparison between the two

Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

you are asking about an ASP-C sensor vs. a " full frame "sensor

although you could use the K 1 II in " crop " mode

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

In response to the many requests regarding which DA lenses cover the 24x36 mm full frame format ("FF") we have tested almost all DA lenses with a Pentax K-1 under similar circumstances. We are happy to finally be able to present the full results.. . .

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
10-17-2021, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Unless you can "fill your viewfinder" with subject matter and have the full-frame lenses to suit, I'd take the K-70 every time … just put a couple of extra batteries in your pocket and spend some time familiarising yourself with the camera, the "more compact" ethos of the K-70 can take some getting used to, coming from something like a K-7
The K-1ii does have three extra stops of low-light capability over the K-70, but they will be noisy/grainy. Less of an issue if you print the results in monochrome and can help make an opportunity to get a picture where the K-70 would struggle. Having said that, coming from a K-7, the ISO 102,400 of the K-70 will probably be awe-inspiring enough
Enjoy!
10-17-2021, 04:01 AM - 2 Likes   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by gbclowes Quote
Concert photographer here. I'm switching out my K-7 for a new unit. I have a choice between either a never used K-70 or a low-actuation K-1 ii.

I would pick the K-1 II over the K-70. Brighter viewfinder, less noise, (with grip) more battery power, dual card slot. Autofocus in low light is very good with the K-1.

10-17-2021, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you have been using a K-7, either of these is going to be a huge jump in capability, your lens collection may help your decision. What lenses do you use for concerts now, are they full frame? If they are not it would seem the K-70 is the choice unless you also have your eye on a lens or two. That being said I personally will gravitate to the newest camera because it has the latest technology, which is the K-1II in this case, but there may be a cost difference that is quite large too. One concern the K -70 has is possibly aperture block failure, as long as it is new though it comes with a warranty, and hopefully you can still buy the extended warranty. I had a K-30 and did use the extended warranty to cover ABF. As Allen suggested do look at the camera comparison tool, and see what features and capabilities mean the most to you. Since you have experience you won’t be sucked in by the meaningless gestures that many reviewers use to tout or trash cameras. I’m sure either will serve you well, just carefully pick what is best for you.

I have never used either of these cameras, so I’m looking at this as what I would do
10-17-2021, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lenses do you think you would use?

Is this for commercial work or just personal?

Is weight and bulk a concern?
10-17-2021, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

You should consider the KP as well since it has superior AF over the K-70 (Which is not much of an improvement over the K-7 AF wise).

10-17-2021, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd personally suggest the K-70 if I had to choose one or the other, and I do have both and use both for just that scenario.
10-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

K-70 Or K-1 ii For Concerts
K1 ii, better in low light, without hesitation.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-17-2021 at 08:56 AM.
10-17-2021, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

K-70 higher frame rate. More DoF at wider apertures.
The K-1s are great landscape cameras.

But as stated above, a K-P would probably be best, if you leave out the K-3iii.
10-17-2021, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
K1 ii, better in low light, without hesitation.
This.^ I judge I am getting 1-1/2 to 2 stops of lower noise or higher ISO with my K-1 II over my still excellent KP.

Then there is the matter of build quality and reliability, not subject to the aperture block problem, as well as features and more advanced controls, battery life even without a battery grip, also there is enhanced image quality with the same framing- really no comparison in all of these factors. The K-1 II is a thoroughly professional model in every respect. Of course you'd need lenses that fit your needs. If you primarily shoot from some distance and are using lenses in the tele range, APS-C would be advantageous. In that case, go for a KP if not the new K-3 III. Otherwise, there are very fine FF lenses available, even many used manual focus lenses of high quality. I'm sure you've thought about lens needs in considering the K-1 II at all. Since you are not as likely to have a special need for lighter carrying for this kind use, the weight difference of FF should not pose much inconvenience. If I were doing that job, unless I needed a lot of tele I'd take my K-1 II.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-17-2021 at 10:43 AM.
10-17-2021, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This.^ I judge I am getting 1-1/2 to 2 stops of lower noise or higher ISO with my K-1 II over my still excellent KP.

Then there is the matter of build quality and reliability, not subject to the aperture block problem, as well as features and more advanced controls, battery life even without a battery grip, also there is enhanced image quality with the same framing- really no comparison in all of these factors. The K-1 II is a thoroughly professional model in every respect. Of course you'd need lenses that fit your needs. If you primarily shoot from some distance and are using lenses in the tele range, APS-C would be advantageous. In that case, go for a KP if not the new K-3 III. Otherwise, there are very fine FF lenses available, even many used manual focus lenses of high quality. I'm sure you've thought about lens needs in considering the K-1 II at all. Since you are not as likely to have a special need for lighter carrying for this kind use, the weight difference of FF should not pose much inconvenience. If I were doing that job, unless I needed a lot of tele I'd take my K-1 II.
For live performance, you need FPS and you need buffer. Read Kenspo's parting post.
10-17-2021, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

5 ~ 6 years ago with K30+F50/1,7 all without flash without the possibility of long framing when shooting (I'm not sure because I used F28 / 2.8 in parallel) :
now I have K1 + F28 / 2.8 + F50 / 1.7 but now there are no more events like this

[/url][url=https://postimages.org/]

now imagine these photos with K1 + F50 / 1.7 or F28/2,8, I think I'm sure they would be better

Last edited by mbukal; 10-17-2021 at 12:49 PM.
10-17-2021, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Here's my 2 cents. I would only be looking at a K70 if budget is the primary concern. If you are considering a K1II then you should be able to extend the budget that tiny bit extra for a K3iii which is probably the camera for this scenario. If the K3iii is out then I would be looking for a gently used KP. This is the internet so you will hear every possible option touted as the way to go. Good luck.
10-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

If you shoot with a k7, where is it lacking the most? Realize your shooting style has developed to compensate what it lacks. If you could would you want to shoot different? If you could, would you want clearer pics or more moments?

For me it is about less photos to sort and more headache cleaning up multiple light sources. Some like sorting 1000 shots for a good one. What makes you tick?