Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Compatible Lenses

Is there an online list of every Pentax lens that's compatible with the DSLRs, even if it's just manual control of the lens?

12-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Is there an online list of every Pentax lens that's compatible with the DSLRs, even if it's just manual control of the lens?
All of them will mount and work (albeit with limited capabiliteis on the older pre-A series lenses). Even the old screw mount M42 lenses will work with a K/M42 adapter. The A series lenses and newer give you full metering capabilities as well. Of course, the A series will be manual focus......
12-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much!
12-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To be slightly more specific, all 35mm Pentax branded lenses will mount and operate in one form or another. This does not include medium format lenses like 67 and 645 (an adapter is available). Likewise, as already mentioned, M42 screw mount lenses require an adapter.

Of the Pentax K mount lenses, lenses from the original K, and M series are manual focus, manual exposure only.

Lenses of the A series have automatic exposure, but are manual focus.

Lenses from the F, FA, FAJ, DA, and DFA series have automatic exposure and autofocus.

12-05-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What about SMC?
12-05-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

SMC means the glass in those lenses are multi-coated, to reduce negative optical effects. you'll find SMC designation on vast majority of pentax lenses, including m42 takumars, all series of K-mount lenses, 645 and 67 medium format lenses.

it does not have any connection with lens mount, only with glass coating.
12-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah - thanks...that made me feel stupid.

12-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
12-05-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i found that compatibility chart somewhat incorrect.

it says, DA lenses on MX body are not usable, white FA-J lenses are crippled, stuck with fully closed aperture. also, it says P5 cannot work with DA lens, FA-J works only im P mode.
well, that simply isn't true, i have tested both MX and P5 with DA lenses, and it works just like FA-J lens - MX is stuck with closed aperture (metering works okay), P5 works nice in P mode, every single photo was exposed perfectly (w/ 18-55 kit lens).

am i missing something or am i just lucky (not likely, though)?
12-05-2008, 04:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check in the help and comments forum.

Ole and I ade discussing modifying the list to show what functions might be lost depending upon lens and camera
12-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
elkarrde,
Just let them know about the discrepencies. By the way, I found one in your signature. IE: smc-da 18-55 f/3.5-5.8 should be f/3.5-5.6. LOL

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote

it says, DA lenses on MX body are not usable, white FA-J lenses are crippled, stuck with fully closed aperture. also, it says P5 cannot work with DA lens, FA-J works only im P mode.
well, that simply isn't true, i have tested both MX and P5 with DA lenses, and it works just like FA-J lens - MX is stuck with closed aperture (metering works okay), P5 works nice in P mode, every single photo was exposed perfectly (w/ 18-55 kit lens).

12-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote

I think the problem is that people have tagged the DA range as only working on DSLRs due to the crop factor of the lens and vignetting. Vignetting aside, most DA lenses will function to some extent, just as an FA-J lens does. On many cameras this means everything else works.

As was noted by Big Dave, send any comments to Ole, and he will add them in. I have him considering how lenses impact different flash modes, exposure modes, focus etc already so a few more comments to make the list better / more accurate would be appreciated by all
12-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Dimitrov page:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

It doesn't include the screwmount lenses, but it's a pretty comprehensive catalog of the K-mount lenses.

HTH,
Heather
12-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
elkarrde,
Just let them know about the discrepencies. By the way, I found one in your signature. IE: smc-da 18-55 f/3.5-5.8 should be f/3.5-5.6. LOL
oh, thank you! haven't seen that one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the problem is that people have tagged the DA range as only working on DSLRs due to the crop factor of the lens and vignetting. Vignetting aside, most DA lenses will function to some extent, just as an FA-J lens does. On many cameras this means everything else works.

As was noted by Big Dave, send any comments to Ole, and he will add them in. I have him considering how lenses impact different flash modes, exposure modes, focus etc already so a few more comments to make the list better / more accurate would be appreciated by all
indeed, vignetting really is a problem, maybe the list could be updated with real-world data - for example, focal lengths where given lenst stops vignetting (35mm in case of DA 18-55)
12-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's another partial list. I say "partial" because the complete list would be loooooong.

Stan's Pentax Photography