Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
Compatible Lenses

Is there an online list of every Pentax lens that's compatible with the DSLRs, even if it's just manual control of the lens?

12-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 98
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Is there an online list of every Pentax lens that's compatible with the DSLRs, even if it's just manual control of the lens?
All of them will mount and work (albeit with limited capabiliteis on the older pre-A series lenses). Even the old screw mount M42 lenses will work with a K/M42 adapter. The A series lenses and newer give you full metering capabilities as well. Of course, the A series will be manual focus......
12-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
Original Poster
Thanks so much!
12-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Posts: 553
To be slightly more specific, all 35mm Pentax branded lenses will mount and operate in one form or another. This does not include medium format lenses like 67 and 645 (an adapter is available). Likewise, as already mentioned, M42 screw mount lenses require an adapter.

Of the Pentax K mount lenses, lenses from the original K, and M series are manual focus, manual exposure only.

Lenses of the A series have automatic exposure, but are manual focus.

Lenses from the F, FA, FAJ, DA, and DFA series have automatic exposure and autofocus.

12-05-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
Original Poster
What about SMC?
12-05-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 370
SMC means the glass in those lenses are multi-coated, to reduce negative optical effects. you'll find SMC designation on vast majority of pentax lenses, including m42 takumars, all series of K-mount lenses, 645 and 67 medium format lenses.

it does not have any connection with lens mount, only with glass coating.
12-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
Original Poster
Ah - thanks...that made me feel stupid.
12-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: WV
Posts: 1,495
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

12-05-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 370
i found that compatibility chart somewhat incorrect.

it says, DA lenses on MX body are not usable, white FA-J lenses are crippled, stuck with fully closed aperture. also, it says P5 cannot work with DA lens, FA-J works only im P mode.
well, that simply isn't true, i have tested both MX and P5 with DA lenses, and it works just like FA-J lens - MX is stuck with closed aperture (metering works okay), P5 works nice in P mode, every single photo was exposed perfectly (w/ 18-55 kit lens).

am i missing something or am i just lucky (not likely, though)?
12-05-2008, 04:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
check in the help and comments forum.

Ole and I ade discussing modifying the list to show what functions might be lost depending upon lens and camera
12-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Big Dave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 547
elkarrde,
Just let them know about the discrepencies. By the way, I found one in your signature. IE: smc-da 18-55 f/3.5-5.8 should be f/3.5-5.6. LOL

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
i found that compatibility chart somewhat incorrect.

it says, DA lenses on MX body are not usable, white FA-J lenses are crippled, stuck with fully closed aperture. also, it says P5 cannot work with DA lens, FA-J works only im P mode.
well, that simply isn't true, i have tested both MX and P5 with DA lenses, and it works just like FA-J lens - MX is stuck with closed aperture (metering works okay), P5 works nice in P mode, every single photo was exposed perfectly (w/ 18-55 kit lens).

am i missing something or am i just lucky (not likely, though)?
12-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
i found that compatibility chart somewhat incorrect.

it says, DA lenses on MX body are not usable, white FA-J lenses are crippled, stuck with fully closed aperture. also, it says P5 cannot work with DA lens, FA-J works only im P mode.
well, that simply isn't true, i have tested both MX and P5 with DA lenses, and it works just like FA-J lens - MX is stuck with closed aperture (metering works okay), P5 works nice in P mode, every single photo was exposed perfectly (w/ 18-55 kit lens).

am i missing something or am i just lucky (not likely, though)?
I think the problem is that people have tagged the DA range as only working on DSLRs due to the crop factor of the lens and vignetting. Vignetting aside, most DA lenses will function to some extent, just as an FA-J lens does. On many cameras this means everything else works.

As was noted by Big Dave, send any comments to Ole, and he will add them in. I have him considering how lenses impact different flash modes, exposure modes, focus etc already so a few more comments to make the list better / more accurate would be appreciated by all
12-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member
heatherslightbox's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gainesville, FL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,595
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Dimitrov page:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

It doesn't include the screwmount lenses, but it's a pretty comprehensive catalog of the K-mount lenses.

HTH,
Heather
12-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 370
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
elkarrde,
Just let them know about the discrepencies. By the way, I found one in your signature. IE: smc-da 18-55 f/3.5-5.8 should be f/3.5-5.6. LOL
oh, thank you! haven't seen that one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the problem is that people have tagged the DA range as only working on DSLRs due to the crop factor of the lens and vignetting. Vignetting aside, most DA lenses will function to some extent, just as an FA-J lens does. On many cameras this means everything else works.

As was noted by Big Dave, send any comments to Ole, and he will add them in. I have him considering how lenses impact different flash modes, exposure modes, focus etc already so a few more comments to make the list better / more accurate would be appreciated by all
indeed, vignetting really is a problem, maybe the list could be updated with real-world data - for example, focal lengths where given lenst stops vignetting (35mm in case of DA 18-55)
12-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
Here's another partial list. I say "partial" because the complete list would be loooooong.

Stan's Pentax Photography
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, lens, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found some old lenses...compatible? cristylo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 09-05-2010 04:29 PM
Compatible Lenses for K20D Simian Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 11-12-2009 07:28 PM
Samsung lenses compatible? lostboy Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 07-10-2009 03:35 AM
Are these lenses compatible with K100D Super? Morbo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 11-13-2008 05:56 PM
Compatible lenses SherryM Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 04-29-2008 02:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top