Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
About the lenses: I'd probably get one or two normal AF lenses, but I really want to get as many older and more inexpensive lenses, such as the m42 mount. These are really what have been making me want to switch to pentax since there are so many of them, and they all have such better build quality than anything from the EF line of canon (remember that canon FD lenses are entirely useless on any canon crop sensor even with an adapter due to the build and crop factor that canon decided to use). The fact that it's just the manual and green button pushing with a few other quirks makes it so nice.

I still don't know, Canon just dissapoints me in some ways. The AF is nearly always useless in low light (NEVER can lock on to anything past the start of sunset) and I think that anything would be better, even though I'd probably use MF a lot of the time since I find to trust it more.

I'll check out the K20D and see if it warrants an upgrade, I just would hate to switch to pentax and not like it, and then have the camera depreciate to half it's value just like all of my canon's have.

12-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
Igilligan

Please check out the market place...

If you really want to try the old lenses and dont want to spend a lot of money

Jay has his K100ds with 4 nice takumar lenses for $400 dollars... the best way to start a pentax glass attack I have ever seen. A great deal

He posted a ton of shots taken with them and the K100ds

Please take a look...

I have purchased from Jay and he is a top notch seller.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/43248-k100d-sup...5-55-35-a.html

Last edited by Igilligan; 12-05-2008 at 03:29 PM.
12-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I am a little confused as to why so many are recommending the K10d as an option to someone who is already unhappy with the performance of their existing DSLRs.
Only reason is to minimize depreciation.
The K20D will probably hit $400 next December.
12-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Please check out the market place...

If you really want to try the old lenses and dont want to spend a lot of money

Jay has his K100ds with 4 nice takumar lenses for $400 dollars... the best way to start a pentax glass attack I have ever seen. A great deal

He posted a ton of shots taken with them and the K100ds

Please take a look...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/43248-k100d-sup...5-55-35-a.html
I have no affiliation with the seller but that looks like a great deal to get going.

12-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I want a K10D though, K100D would be lower my camera level again...
12-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Something must be wrong with your technique, or perhaps your lenses if you can't get a good picture from your 20D/30D. And there are plenty of non-L lenses that are extremely capable of taking excellent images. The Canon 85mm f/1.8 is pretty amazing, and less than $400.

Not to say you can't get good images from Pentax, but if you can't get good images from your Canon system, switching to Pentax won't magically start producing great images. It's mostly about the camera operator (and the lenses too )

Why not hop on over to "Phototgraphy on the Net" and see if we can figure out what's going on (or ask here, folks are friendly and helpful here as well)

-Former Pentaxian, Current Canonite (both systems produced great images for me )
12-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
I still don't know, Canon just dissapoints me in some ways. The AF is nearly always useless in low light (NEVER can lock on to anything past the start of sunset) and I think that anything would be better
I suspect you'd be the first person in the history of photography to switch from Canon to Pentax because of concerns over AF.
12-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Only reason is to minimize depreciation.
The K20D will probably hit $400 next December.
And it will still be under warranty. If you buy a K20D from an approved vendor, that warranty will be good for three years.

I have seen posts saying the K20D sensor is better with PF on lenses known for their PF on the K10D.

Lens adjustments on the K20D. The number of posts by disgruntled K10D users about this not being back ported to the K10D was quite high and I don't understand why this isn't brought up more.

Bracketed shots with a single shutter release on the K20D.

The improved bottom plate and improve AF of the K20D over the early version of the K10D. I believe the K20D and K200D SR is said to be improved because of improvements and lighter weight of the sensor carrier and this can't be said of the latter versions of the K10D.

The K10D has a two stop disadvantage in ISO, tops at 1600, compared to the K20D top ISO 6400.

There are a number of other improvements, but just the above should be worth the difference between a used K10D and new K20D in my opinion.

12-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Seriously! I wonder if something is wrong with his 20D/30D, or his technique is off, or he was unrealistic expecations of "low light" (trying to focus on a blank wall in pitch darkness?)

I await his answers

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I suspect you'd be the first person in the history of photography to switch from Canon to Pentax because of concerns over AF.
12-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
I await his answers
Your assumption is that you know better than the OP what his needs are, and you are an able judge of his technique? No wonder you switched to Canon.
12-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Something must be wrong with your technique, or perhaps your lenses if you can't get a good picture from your 20D/30D. And there are plenty of non-L lenses that are extremely capable of taking excellent images. The Canon 85mm f/1.8 is pretty amazing, and less than $400.

Not to say you can't get good images from Pentax, but if you can't get good images from your Canon system, switching to Pentax won't magically start producing great images. It's mostly about the camera operator (and the lenses too )

Why not hop on over to "Phototgraphy on the Net" and see if we can figure out what's going on (or ask here, folks are friendly and helpful here as well)

-Former Pentaxian, Current Canonite (both systems produced great images for me )
I would love to go over to Photography On the Net, that is...if they hadn't banned me for two weeks for arguing with a mod via PRIVATE MESSAGES. That forum is ridiculous.
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wan the variety of lenses that I can achieve with Pentax without having to go out and buy expensive ones with IS built in like canon. Look at it this way, if I got the K20/K10D with the 16-45mm I'd be set by Pentax. THEN I could also go out and buy about 5-10 older primes and zoom lenses that can perfectly be used (some even with AF, unlike canon and it's converters) for the price that my 28-135 lens from canon costed me, even though it's considered to have lower quality than some...I guess I'm just having trouble explaining it.
12-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I think POTN is very laid back, similar to PentaxForums.... anyway.....

So maybe we can help you here? I shot Pentax from October 2005 until this past March, so ~2.5 years and have been shooting Canon since March.

If you can't identify what is wrong with your photos, I fail to see how switching systems would address that unknown shortcoming of your current system. What lens(es) do you have with your 20D/30D? Do you shoot RAW? How do you process your photos? I (as well as others) find your complaints about low-light AF on a Canon somewhat puzzling/troubling, as my 40D absolutely smoked my K10D in that department.

Anyway, pretty much any system is more than capable of delivering excellent photos, provided the photographer knows that they're doing.

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
I would love to go over to Photography On the Net, that is...if they hadn't banned me for two weeks for arguing with a mod via PRIVATE MESSAGES. That forum is ridiculous.
12-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think POTN is very laid back, similar to PentaxForums.... anyway.....

So maybe we can help you here? I shot Pentax from October 2005 until this past March, so ~2.5 years and have been shooting Canon since March.

If you can't identify what is wrong with your photos, I fail to see how switching systems would address that unknown shortcoming of your current system. What lens(es) do you have with your 20D/30D? Do you shoot RAW? How do you process your photos? I (as well as others) find your complaints about low-light AF on a Canon somewhat puzzling/troubling, as my 40D absolutely smoked my K10D in that department.

Anyway, pretty much any system is more than capable of delivering excellent photos, provided the photographer knows that they're doing.
No, there's not really anything that's wrong with my images for the most part, it's just that I'm not happy with them sometimes. Recently I went to the Golden Gate Bridge at night and took the photos that I'm the most proud of in my life, but the thing that irritates me with canon is the pricepoint of all their products. Since you can't use anything other than EF lenses without an expensive adapter, the CHEAPEST lens you can buy from canon is still nearly $100, and is a cheap piece of plastic. From Pentax you can use any lens, and some of the older ones (even though they're manual control) have better build quality than any lens ever created for a DSLR. Accessories for Pentax cost less too, such as the battery grip or a flash for the camera. Canon is the best brand, and they price accordingly, but to me, I think that Pentax is just as good, which is why I want to switch.
12-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's the colours that you aren't happy with, if you're using Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom have you tried using the different camera profiles? They make a HUGE difference in colours of Canon and Nikon photos.

Here's some more details: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips Presets - Camera Profile Presets