Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

So Undecided!

I currently have a canon 20D and a 30D, both of which I like, but I'm not sure if I like them enough. I've never been happy with canon after selling my XT (amazing camera), and my kit 28-135 lens (canon has the most expensive lenses EVER) doesn't seem to give me any interesting colors. I've seen so much on Pentax and I've been wanting to try it out for such a long time, but I can't get myself to completely change brands. I'm just not sure what to do, as I really want to get a K10D and probably twice as many canon lenses as I could have ever been able to afford with my cameras, along with much better image quality. I guess I just need some advice.

12-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Sell the Canon stuff and live your dream with a K20D, DA*16-50, DA*50-135 and an AF540FGZ...all for about the same price as a 70-200/2.8L IS!
12-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha! I think I'd still be just as comfortable with the K10D, and that way I could buy some extra lenses (with Canon I've only been able to afford 2, how sad is that?)
12-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just curious. What is it about the Canon's that you don't like. Perhaps I can answer your question if I knew that. What do you mean by, "doesn't seem to give me interesting colors."

Ben

12-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most of the time I shoot my photos in RAW mode, and out of the camera they're incredibly dull (yeah RAW is supposed to be that way, I know), but even when I use PS editing, the colors just don't stand out as much as I've seen Pentax photos do with the same editing. The 20 and 30D use the same sensor so I was bound to get the same problem from them, but it just seems to me like the photos lack any kind of contrast from the canon.

Also, I still don't find myself liking the camera bodies entirely. The body is incredibly heavy and other than the useful things such as the wheel and the LCD, the back is just bare space that could have been used for something else.

But my main complaint is the lenses. I've seen some amazing stuff from cheap Pentax lenses, but I've never seen anything that compares from Canon. Unless I had enough money to get a 5D and some L lenses, according to most people from the Canon groups, I would never get great image quality. Face it, Canon is a rich brand.

I'm still trying to figure out what justifies the $200 difference in price from the Pentax K10D to the Canon 30D, and I've yet to find anything. In fact I think that the Canon has a lot less functionality. With that, I also find it highly irritating that the Canon users have this superiority complex to where unless you want a 5D with all L lenses, then you shouldn't be in their brand, and I hate that. When asking for suggestions on POTN (horrible fansite by the way), I always get "save up more money and get an L lens"...the thing is that I can't really do that and it irritates the hell out of me that when I tell them that I don't want to do that, then they turn on me and say I shouldn't ask for advice from them. The Pentax forum here is much nicer.

There are many reasons why I like both brands, which is what is making this switch so hard for me to attempt. I've held a K100D Super and tried it before, and I loved every second of it, but from the Canon models, other than the XT, there just is something missing from them.

(Sorry about the rant).
12-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I read recently an article from a French site (mostly concentrated on creation, not on hardware) They were trying to sum up pro and cons of different brands for 2008.

Canon :
Pros : The most extensive range of lenses
Cons : No interesting bodies for 2008 apart from 5DmkII

Nikon :
Pros : The most complete range of DSLR, the most interresting bodies
Cons : Their hardware becomes really interesting only on the highest of the range (D90 and more), Lenses are good but expensive.

Sony :
Pros : Hudge investement, the Alpha 900, a studio full frame for a third of the price of competition
cons : Lense choice much smaller

Olympus :
Pros : E3 & E420
Cons : 4/3 seems like a dead end, micro 4/3 is the exit ?

Pentax :
Pros : the best performance/price ratio for budget users, by far
Cons : the last generic brand without Full Frame

Note that they love the Pentax K-m while most of the admin are Nikon or Canon users. They also advice the K200D for serious shooters against the Canon 40D or Nikon D90, their reasonning is less money in the body, more in the lenses.

Speaking for myself, the K20D is a marvellous camera, much better that the K10D especially on low light. I can't speak for the other brands as I never owned DSLRs from other brands.
12-05-2008, 03:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, if I do end up selling the 30D, I bet I'd be able to get a K20D for the same price. Based on the reviews though they didn't seem that much different to warrant a change.
12-05-2008, 04:47 AM   #8

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
The K20D is a great camera and I doubt that you would be dissapointed.
I use mine with a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 lens and have been told that some of my
images have great detail and sharpness. (the soft ones are my fault)
Pentax has some expensive lenses to but there is some pretty good 3rd party ones around.
I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it and your style of photography.

12-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
I also find it highly irritating that the Canon users have this superiority complex to where unless you want a 5D with all L lenses, then you shouldn't be in their brand, and I hate that. When asking for suggestions on POTN (horrible fansite by the way), I always get "save up more money and get an L lens"...the thing is that I can't really do that and it irritates the hell out of me that when I tell them that I don't want to do that, then they turn on me and say I shouldn't ask for advice from them. The Pentax forum here is much nicer.
I can see some truth in that above.

I moved from Canon to Pentax recently and purchased the K10.
I had used a Canon eos 50e for a long time. I remember when I bought the Canon, I was deciding between that or the Pentax MZ10.
A year or so ago I was getting ready to buy my first digital slr when I got interested in the K10.
After a lengthy wait, I finally bought it, and am very happy.

I never had many Canon lenses, so I'm not giving up lots of equipment by changing brands. I'll probably give it a run out now and again.

Pentax has some lovely kit for my needs...a hobby.
Ive only got the kit lens, but have my eye on a few more lenses, but they'll have to wait til after Xmas.
12-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Most of the time I shoot my photos in RAW mode, and out of the camera they're incredibly dull (yeah RAW is supposed to be that way, I know), but even when I use PS editing, the colors just don't stand out as much as I've seen Pentax photos do with the same editing.
Do you hate the JPG images from the bodies? They are relatively technicolor compared to Pentax JPG images

As for Pentax, you could try it relatively inexpensively now. Get a K10D used for $400 or so. Choose a lens you think would give you great results and which you'd keep (I'd suggest either a prime or the Sigma 17-70, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 17-50 which are known to be relatively sharp and contrasty).
If you hate it, sell it. Depreciation on the K10D has already been done so I doubt it'll drop much more and get a used lens for the same reason.

If you want a more direct comparison, get a lens you have on your 20D/30D.

p.s., I think the Canon LCD's are relatively small as well unless you get the newest 50D or 5DmkII :-)
12-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Canon models you mentioned are capable of incredible colour, and I'm sure that even though this is a Pentax forum you could get critique on your images here; we are all very nice to "outsiders" .
12-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #12

The colors depend a lot also on your raw converter. Give a try to Silkypix and change the Color Mode there. You can achieve incredible colors this way.

Anyway, if you are not happy now with Canon, then you will never feel comfortable with it. I changed from Nikon to Pentax and don't regret at all. For me it all comes down to the amazing prime lenses. Pay as much as you can, you still cant get anything equivalent to the Pentax Limited primes from Canon (or anyone else). Add to this weather sealing and shake reduction and you get an excellent system with Pentax.
12-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #13
Forum Member

Hmmm, sounds to me like you want some Pentax people to pull you over? I'd say you are 70% already decided?

Well, if it were me, I'd definitely make the change. I was very unimpressed with the 20D I owned for a month - sold it quick smart. I to didn't like the colours, very flat. skin tones, very red. Camera controls, horrrible. I'm not Canon bashing, I just didn't like anything about it.

As for Pentax, I continue to be amazed at the quality you get for the price you pay. Buy a K10D and a couple of limiteds and enjoy all the colours of the rainbow ;0)
12-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #14

Do it

Yeah, the only thing you'd be losing by switching over might be dealing with slightly slower auto focus. But for the natural vividness of images, the ergonomics, durability, and affordable top notch lenses, Pentax is definitely worth it--regardless of whether you go with the K10D or K20.
12-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
Igilligan

I am not sure the K10d is the answer

I am a little confused as to why so many are recommending the K10d as an option to someone who is already unhappy with the performance of their existing DSLRs.
I am not doggin' the K10d but...
With the difference in cost between a used K10d and a brand new K20d being only about 250-300 dollars... The advantages to the K20d with the much improved sensor, real usable High ISO performance, user control for fixing front and back focus issue on multiple lenses, and in camera ability to map out dead/stuck pixels are just a few of the reasons to spend a little more to at least start off your pentax experience with the the best camera available.

300 dollars is the cost of your first mid level lens... it seems a small price to pay to get the best body that pentax has to offer at this time.
Just my 2 cents...