Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
One thing we have here in the US is the "professional photographer program" through Pentax N. America... Check with Pentax Europe to see if they have that program there.
Hey, thanks. That seems to be pretty interesting program. So the customer service isn't handled so badly as said before. I really hope this "PPP" will be also in here Europe.

12-07-2008, 03:50 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dan aron Quote
I'm going to shoot pretty much of wildlife and also some journalism.
You'll probably find this posting to be an interesting read: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/29903-canon-40d-vs...rspective.html.
12-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Can someone answer my question earlier on this page?
12-07-2008, 04:32 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
You mean about AF? Some complain that Pentax AF is slow. Others say that it may be slower than Canikon but it is more accurate. Others point to problems with specific camera models from other manufacturers. Really, the debate goes around and around.

I say if you want to do it right, do it yourself. Manual focus in tricky situations. Focus bracket and take your best shot.

If you want faster focusing, buy SDM lenses only. And use a flash. And pre-focus.

It's all about being a photographer, really. The camera is just an (increasingly clever) tool.

12-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #35
Veteran Member

What lens(es) are you using on your 30D when it has trouble in low light? I have the 40D, and with my 85mm f/1.8 or 30mm f/1.4, it has NO problems locking quickly on a high contrast subject (ie NOT a white wall) with the center autofocus point in low-ish light (ISO3200, f/1.4, 1/30s, whatever EV that translates into....) Now the non-center points will struggle, but the center point is insanely fast and accurate.

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
12-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok. Let's expand the question and make it little bit tougher.
Why Pentax before Canikon if the money is not issue?
12-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The FA Limiteds.....

12-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #38

Isn't it always about money?

12-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #39
Veteran Member

First, that is a rather unrealistic question, since money is always an issue, even to a professional.

But even given that, there are some things Pentax has that I don't think others have. (But I am not an expert on other systems.)

1. Stabilized lenses no matter what the focal length. Seems to me Canikon only bother stabilizing zooms and long focal lengths.

2. Lenses with the build quality of the Limiteds.

3. Complete backwards compatibility with the camera adding bonus features to older lenses, like focus confirmation and Green Button metering.
12-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, I just ordered the K20 + accessories. What an awesome bargain it was, almost a robbery.

Thanks for everyone and I'm back in the business. My first camera was some Pentax compact.
12-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Realize that IS is a limited savior for low light and sports. It doesn't help if your subject is moving...in that case you need fast glass and high iso.

I think that you can get whatever you need out of K20d and a good lens unless you have extreme needs like shooting hockey at iso6400 and printing those images at 24x36.

I think the only reason to go with Pentax over Canikon is lens choice (if you like primes), ergonomics/user interface (don't underestimate this one), and a desire to be "different."

If money is no object, then buy a Sony a900 and a bunch of Zeiss lenses along with an M8 and some Summicron glass. That should cover about $40K right there. That's what I'd do if money wasn't an object. But sadly it always is.
12-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #42
Site Supporter

I am probably going to get in trouble for what I am about to say.....

If I were starting over, that is, with no initial investment in PK compatible lenses, I would definitely purchase the Canon 40D or 50D.

Feature for feature (please correct me if I am misleading), the Canon's features are better than the K20D. In terms of low imaging noise (esp. on longer exposures/higher ISO), Canon is ahead of everyone. That is way Canon's xxD series of cameras are the top choice with low light photographers (e.g. Astronomers).

Don't misunderstand, I really like the Pentax K20D, after all, I bought it! If it were as bad as the *ist, I would have sold my eight lenses (for a loss I'm sure) and jumped on to Canon last year with a 40D.

However, comparing the K20D to the 40D, there are some things that I really wish were available on the K20D; such as a live preview as useful as the 40D's live preview!

And if the image banding problem appears on my K20D, this will be the last Pentax for me. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/43634-k20d-vertical-strips.html
12-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure I'd go with Pentax if I hadn't been acquiring and using the lenses for decades.
12-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm not sure I'd go with Pentax if I hadn't been acquiring and using the lenses for decades.
It is a pretty sad statement that some of us are only loyal to Pentax because of lenses.

But it certainly isn't because Pentax makes [all] bad products. I have owned a dozen earlier SLRs such as the nearly impossible to break K1000 and the amazing MZ-S (which I consider one of the best 35mm SLRs ever created!). But even the MZ-S was incomplete (IMHO) because of the *plastic* back cover. What was Pentax thinking when they designed this nearly indestructible camera with such an obvious Achilles heal?

But for the price I paid for the K20D and comparing features against the Canon [near] equivalent 40D or Nikon's equivalent.... The Pentax is over priced and under-featured. Yes, at the time, it had a higher number of pixels but that was/is about it.

Another thing that really, *REALLY* irks me is that there is no BG-10 equivalent for the K20D! Specifically, a body grip that allows one to use AA batteries. Any field photographer will understand the value of being able to use the world's most ubiquitous battery! Again, what was Pentax thinking? Both Canon and Nikon offer such battery grips!
12-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Battery Grip for the K20?

According to the Pentax website, they offer the D-BG2 which does not accommodate AA batteries. PENTAX Battery Grip D-BG2 - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

But this one

But on Amazon.com, they advertise the Pentax BG-2 Battery Grip as being able to accommodate AA batteries. Pentax BG-2 Battery Grip For K20D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Who is correct?