Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Why Pentax before Nikon and Canon?

Ok, I'm sure there are couple of threads before this one which contains same questions but I apologize that and my bad English. Then to my questions.

So, my first dslr was Canon 400D and I got frustrated to Canon so I changed the camp to Nikon. My current setup is Nikon D80 and Sigma 18-50 f2.8.

I'm going to get pro in couple of years and I´m really wondering which system would be the best for me. I'm going to shoot pretty much of wildlife and also some journalism. So, the thing why I'm not satisfied with Nikon or Canon is that they don't offer stabiliser in camera and the thing why that is problem is money. I can't afford all those IS/VR lenses I need right now so that's why Pentax is really big temptation to me (Olympus is not the one to me, that's for sure). The other almost bigger issue is the weather sealing. Pentax offers all that for much less money than any other brand.

Now, while I'm writing this post I'm getting more and more convinced that Pentax is all what I'm needing. So, the question:

Why choose Pentax (K20) before Nikon (D300) or Canon (D50)?

12-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
pictures say a thousand words

Just look at the Pentax photo gallery.Also the new world Pentax Photo Gallery and you will see. Good LUK whatever you decide thnx
Paul
12-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dan aron Quote
I'm going to shoot pretty much of wildlife and also some journalism. So, the thing why I'm not satisfied with Nikon or Canon is that they don't offer stabiliser in camera and the thing why that is problem is money.
Yep, low cost stabilization is indeed awesome. And the Pentax pancake primes are really discreet. K20D has a high rating for high ISO quality in its price range, too (see DXOmark).
12-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great value for your buck, weather sealing, and ANY old or new Pentax lens.

12-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This is the same problem that I'm facing.
12-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

VFM (value for money) - which covers many things like sealing, stabilisation, feel, quality etc.
12-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #7

the value is definitly apparent with Pentax.

12-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nikon D90 uses the same sensor as D300 rendering better image quality probably because the sensor is tweaked better.

Canon 50D sensor already outresolve all the L lenses and if you enjoy pixel peeping, all the images would look soft.

Pentax k20d is just sooo much cheaper now and it is hard not to buy it. Only if you do not care about lazy autofocus issue as well as lack of options in the long tele end lens choices.
12-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Forum Member

I'm going to get pro in couple of years and I´m really wondering which system would be the best for me. I'm going to shoot pretty much of wildlife and also some journalism. So, the thing why I'm not satisfied with Nikon or Canon is that
If you are going to go pro and rely on your camera equipment for your livelihood, then Pentax may not be the best choice. Canon and Nikon have a vast network of professional support services which Pentax lacks. So if you need a specific lens for a job or expeditited repair service on your gear, you can get that fron Canon or Nikon Professional Services.

Yes, you get a better value for your money with Pentax but the support for a pro is there with C/N.
12-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have shot wildlife and sports with my K10D and am very happy with it. I'm around and on water often in all kinds of weather and the camera has performed fine for me. The other brands cost twice as much for a weather sealed body. While you mentioned already having experience with Canon and Nikon and aren't happy with/can't afford then going with Pentax makes perfect sense.
12-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There's definitely advantages to shooting with established brands for pros... But you can't shoot with what you can't bring to the field, period. (And you can't make money on what's too expensive to recoup) By the time a few years go by, Pentax might be caught up in some of the respects like AF speed, and lacking a model with a blistering FPS rate, a full metal case, and whatnot, and in the meantime, there's lenses that'll still be worth something.

As JG says, there's more to it than just the specs, ...can you get parts, service, do you end up working for someone and not being able to tap any equipment pool or rent or borrow odd things that are more available... Are you familiar with and quick on said stuff...

And it's not easy for a camera company to break into that kind of market and compete on those terms.

Still, for you right now, I think the important part is to get you making images... all that stuff doesn't matter if you aren't getting the shot, thus making money. You do what you have to.

Wildlife stuff is easier to go it alone with, mind you, if you think Pentax has a body that'll stand up to the duty and you can get the kind of lenses you'll want: they're pretty serious about putting what you need for good images *in your hands,* which is very good.

It's great for me, cause I'm not likely to leap up and become an AP stringer with my health as it is, but I still take it seriously... (I like to think maybe I can break even with this enterprise, and that's something that's a lot more possible with Pentax. If I start making big bucks and need more of certain kinds of performance, then the money's less of a problem, anyway, so taking any resale hit on Pentax stuff wouldn't matter, come down to it. Invest in your skills, as a first priority, then check out the numbers.

Probably best to plan a kit out for each, and add up what it really costs, for what you need.

But, you're already in Nikon...
12-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Very well! Thanks for fast answers. There seems to be pretty much of active Pentax users. Sounds good..

I want to pick couple responds and look out bit more of those.

1. The support things. This want be a problem because I know people who photographs a lot so I will get instantly replacement for my gear if I need something. I can wait little bit longer that Pentax fixes problems.

2. "Lazy AF" I've heard something about this but is it really so big problem that you can't handle it? Let's say you want to shoot some hockey or snowboarding sometimes, is there a problem if shooting with K20? How slow it really is?

3. Future? How quickly they will develop new bodies and lenses for digital photographers? There is a mighty arsenal of those old lenses and that is great but how much Pentax is investing for new ones? Can you say Pentax will be high in brand competition in future?

4. Teles? Concernig question 3 what do you use for wildlife shooting? Example for birds. Now I'm looking for weather sealed lenses only. Is there anything else than 200mm and 300mm primes? Can you get along with those and some teleconverters?
12-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very well! Thanks for fast answers. There seems to be pretty much of active Pentax users. Sounds good..

I want to pick couple responds and look out bit more of those.

1. The support things. This want be a problem because I know people who photographs a lot so I will get instantly replacement for my gear if I need something. I can wait little bit longer that Pentax fixes problems.

2. "Lazy AF" I've heard something about this but is it really so big problem that you can't handle it? Let's say you want to shoot some hockey or snowboarding sometimes, is there a problem if shooting with K20? How slow it really is?

3. Future? How quickly they will develop new bodies and lenses for digital photographers? There is a mighty arsenal of those old lenses and that is great but how much Pentax is investing for new ones? Can you say Pentax will be high in brand competition in future?

4. Teles? Concernig question 3 what do you use for wildlife shooting? Example for birds. Now I'm looking for weather sealed lenses only. Is there anything else than 200mm and 300mm primes? Can you get along with those and some teleconverters?
1. Support / service is something that is going to differ subject to so many variables that it is impossible to make any sort of call on or comparison from company to company. I think the most important thing is to check & test your new equipment thoroughly when you first receive it and deal with any issues immediately.

2. Auto focus is often thrown up as THE reason not to buy Pentax. The reality is that while others are faster, accuracy is not perhaps what it could be. You really have to anylise your intended usage and if this is a major issue for you, then stay with nikon and start saving. You can get around the issue with technique and practice.

3. Who knows? In this turbulent day and age when corporate giants such as Ford, GM & Chyrsler are on their knees there are no guarantees. But ask yourself this: what if Pentax did dis-appear sometime down the track? What would that really mean to the camera and lenses that you owned and used at that moment in time? Nothing.
They will still work, repairs will be still be available and lenses will still be available for sometime to come, before becoming collectors items and going through the roof in price. The real decision for you (& me) would be where to go when we wanted to upgrade. The Pentax K mount 'marque' would be way too attractive to someone to let it die.
In my humble opinion you can only make your decision based on what you know today, if you are worried about what tomorrow is going to bring then find a dark room and lock yourself away.

4. Teles. Yes, "only" a 200 or 300mm but what a couple of lenses they are! Add a converter or have a look at the Sigma 50-500...a lot forum members own that lens and speak very highly of it.

At the end of the day, YOU have to be comfortable with your purchase and the reasons for it. Homework is an essential part of the process and I congratulate you for undertaking the process.

Good luck and sincerely hope it all works out the way you want it to.

Cheers.
12-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dan,
With the K20D you can use all of those older screw and K mount tele lenses, that are out there for a fraction of the cost of Nikon or Canon. They all will have IS, no matter how old they are. For wildlife, you are going to need 300mm and longer. The K20D will also allow you to crop more on those far out shots. good luck.

Dave

Teles? Concernig question 3 what do you use for wildlife shooting? Example for birds. Now I'm looking for weather sealed lenses only. Is there anything else than 200mm and 300mm primes? Can you get along with those and some teleconverters?
12-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Much of great information. Thank you so far.

The biggest issue is the weather sealing. If I stay with Nikon I got to buy D300 and some extremely expensive lenses with VR, cause that's what I need. If I decide to change to Pentax I would buy K20, 16-50mm, 300mm and 50mm at first. Unless there's one good quality weather resistant telezoom, I would take it before a prime. I think Sigma's Bigma and 100-300 aren't sealed ones..?

The thing why I need weather sealing and image stabilization is that I'm going to shoot extreme sports and I'm living in Finland where it's really dark in winters.