Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Why are the reviews of the K-M taking so long?

For something as innovative (ie compact) as the Pentax K2000 / K-M I would have thought there would more reviews. (yes I know about the one on photgrapyblog).

I have nearly worn out the internet searching.

Is this normal that they take so long after a camera's release?

12-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's only been what, a coupe of weeks? Yes, that's normal. In the case of dpreview, it's often a couple of *months*, particularly if you are looking for reviews of other than Canon & Nikon.
12-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Didn't you hear, all the K2000/m's in the country are grey market, Pentax won't allow them to be reviewed.
12-06-2008, 01:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks again

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's only been what, a coupe of weeks? Yes, that's normal. In the case of dpreview, it's often a couple of *months*, particularly if you are looking for reviews of other than Canon & Nikon.
Thanks Mark

Waiting for a camera to arrive (and waiting for a no-holds barred and thorough technical review) feels like someone is sitting on the hands of the clock, slowing down time. Torture.

If I were smart I would not worry about the reviews, and simply concentrate on getting to know the possibilities of the new camera. (Actually the EXIF information for the K-M shots in Flickr are really informative, expecially for the night and low-light shots.

Last edited by Stefan Carey; 12-06-2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: typo
12-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The K2000/K-m is a great little dSLR. So great that I sold both my K10D's and use the K-m instead, I think it's better. Reviews will come, I only hope ordenary consumer reviews will rate the K-m fair. People who buy entry level dSLR like K-m don't read reviews at dpreview.

Right now I'm playing with my new K20D, left the camera store 45 min. ago.
12-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #6

K-m is nowhere to be found in any shops over here in Singapore...sigh. I heard it will not be sold by local distributor, I wonder why....

12-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being an entry-level camera, photography nuts won't race to it as they might a flagship product. That will reduce reviews from some quarters.

But in this case it looks like a particularly interesting model, in that it contains some next-generation technology. Pentax is never very good at promoting the advantages of these generational improvements, so it takes longer for real-world use to uncover the photographic advantages.

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
The K2000/K-m is a great little dSLR. So great that I sold both my K10D's and use the K-m instead, I think it's better... Right now I'm playing with my new K20D, left the camera store 45 min. ago.
So I take it you effectively replaced one K10D with a K20D and another K10D with the K-m? That seems to make good sense to me.

Care to say more about what you really like about the K-m?

12-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I should have a K2000 Monday, so I can post my impressions here.

It will have some tough shoes to fill - I loved my K100DS!
12-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
Looking forward to details!

The K2000/K-m is a great little dSLR. So great that I sold both my K10D's and use the K-m instead, I think it's better. Reviews will come, I only hope ordenary consumer reviews will rate the K-m fair. People who buy entry level dSLR like K-m don't read reviews at dpreview.

Right now I'm playing with my new K20D, left the camera store 45 min. ago.
That's really interesting: I'd love love to hear what has impressed you abou the the K-M and whether you are using standard settings. Some samples of course would be nice. If I have anything to post worth discussing next week, I'll post them on this forum.
12-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi there jsherman999, again, I'll be really keen to see what the collective expertise of this forum can come up with.
12-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Compared with K10D, the K-m have better Auto WB, less noise at higher ISO and faster AF. The IQ is the same as K10D/K200D as far as I've seen. It has more choices when it comes to shooting in jpg, different effects and several auto programs. I shoot in RAW, but it's fun to play with the effects and jpg.

I miss the red AF dot(s) in the viewfinder that I have on K10D/K20D. I don't like the battery door thing, too easy to open by a mistake. The D-pad buttons could have been larger.
Pentax should have implemented a sensor under the viewfinder. If you ever tried a Canon 400D/rebel, you know what I mean. The sensor turns off the LCD screen when you place the camera in front of you face/eyes.

I like the build quality, don't seem as cheap as Canon 400D. It's compact, solid and has a good grip. If you go from K10D/K20D to a K-m, it seems very small(it is small). After a while I got used to the "smallness" and it was wierd going back to the big and heavy K10D body.
You also get used to not have the top LCD screen and the front e-dial. All adjustmens are done with on the main/only LCD screen. An easy to understand dSLR.

I shoot in RAW/DNG. Use aperture priority mode and manuel.

The K-m came after the K20D. I think every Pentax model after K20D should have the AF adjustment/correction menu. It should not only be on the more advanced models, it should be on all models.

That's all I have for now. It's 5 am and I'm sleepwriting.
12-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Thanks very much for that.

My current plan is to get either a K200D or a K-M (K2000) now and wait to see what the successor to the K20D is like whenever it comes out.

Can you get the K-M body only in Europe? The only site I've found in Australia which has it on sale so far only seems to pair it with the kit lens - for about $AU 900 The K200D with kit lens from the same source is $AU 700. For Euro prices divide by 2
12-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I talked to Pentax Norway, they only ship it with kitlenses. It's the same price with or without the 18-55mm lens. Here's a picture of the K-m box.

The store had to remove the 50-200mm lens from the box when I bought the camera.

Pentax (cheapest)prices in Norway are:

K-m with 18-55mm: 649$AU
K200D with 18-55mm ALII: 865$AU
K20D body: 1298$AU
12-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Pentax (cheapest)prices in Norway are:

K-m with 18-55mm: 649$AU
K200D with 18-55mm ALII: 865$AU
K20D body: 1298$AU
Interesting that the price differential on the K-m and K200D are in the exact reverse in Norway.

The K20D price is about on a par with Oz prices. The cheapest I've seen for the K20D body here right now is $AU 1190 (plus shipping). That's quite a tempting price, the equivalent of $US 760
12-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #15

Original Poster
Compared with K10D, the K-m have better Auto WB, less noise at higher ISO and faster AF. The IQ is the same as K10D/K200D as far as I've seen. It has more choices when it comes to shooting in jpg, different effects and several auto programs. I shoot in RAW, but it's fun to play with the effects and jpg.

I miss the red AF dot(s) in the viewfinder that I have on K10D/K20D. I don't like the battery door thing, too easy to open by a mistake. The D-pad buttons could have been larger.
Pentax should have implemented a sensor under the viewfinder. If you ever tried a Canon 400D/rebel, you know what I mean. The sensor turns off the LCD screen when you place the camera in front of you face/eyes.

I like the build quality, don't seem as cheap as Canon 400D. It's compact, solid and has a good grip. If you go from K10D/K20D to a K-m, it seems very small(it is small). After a while I got used to the "smallness" and it was wierd going back to the big and heavy K10D body.
You also get used to not have the top LCD screen and the front e-dial. All adjustmens are done with on the main/only LCD screen. An easy to understand dSLR.

I shoot in RAW/DNG. Use aperture priority mode and manuel.
NorthPentax, thanks for taking time to 'sleepwrite' you thoughts: it's sounding better and better for my needs. I passed the local store today (actually it was more like a frogmarch if you ask my wife), and again was surprised by how small the K-M is. Less than the width of a CD cover!

Is this need for autofocusing adjustment important? Does it mean there is no reliable or permament calibration during production? Or does it mean other variations affect the camera later on how well it can focus? Is it a common problem perhaps unrecognised by the owners? Or it is uncommon?

BTW, poor focusing seems to affect other brands as well.