Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a good plan!

11-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #17

KP out of production

I decided it was time to get a new camera. I can't afford the $3000 ones. So it came down to the KP or the K-70. I chose the K-P but my camera shop has told me that it's no longer being manufactured. It was quite disappointing as I didn't want a camera with all of the pre-set scenes as I don't use them. I'm now waiting for the K-70 instead. I hope it's a good choice.
11-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it is not a KP, but not a bad choice. I would suggest getting the extra warranty if offered where you are located. It does not have the extra-durable design and build of the KP, its excellent controls, or other advancements, but is otherwise a very capable camera. The only other possibility is to find a low-use KP on the used market. I just checked, to discover one deal being offered in the marketplace of the forum. It is described as like new and in the original box. You'd need to contact the seller to get info regarding how much use is on it. The lenses included are exceptionally good ones, which if are duplicates of your own could be good for resale.

---------- Post added 11-17-21 at 08:49 PM ----------

I just checked Amazon (USA) which indicates a new one available for $1,099.99 ($1,100 USD) body only, sold by The Camera Box through Amazon. This is $100 less than the introductory price, but well above what it sold for when still in production after a year or so. But from my view as a KP owner still worth it!

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-17-2021 at 08:53 PM.
11-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Susanmcg Quote
I decided it was time to get a new camera. I can't afford the $3000 ones. So it came down to the KP or the K-70. I chose the K-P but my camera shop has told me that it's no longer being manufactured. It was quite disappointing as I didn't want a camera with all of the pre-set scenes as I don't use them. I'm now waiting for the K-70 instead. I hope it's a good choice.
The K-70 will be a great choice, don't worry. I've owned both and ultimately decided the K-70 was the better one for me. Image-wise you'll find zero difference.

11-17-2021, 09:16 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone has their own preferences. Some prefer the larger built-on handle. For me there's no comparison in quality, controls, extra battery grip availability, etc. For me it is the perfect APS-C compact alternative to my K-1 II for lengthy carrying, and when I need more telephoto use and/or grip with more battery life with APS-C.

Of course, the K-70 is the bargain for what it does offer, which is way more than other brand DSLRs in that price range.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-17-2021 at 09:25 PM.
11-18-2021, 02:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Susanmcg Quote
I use both the K-70 and the KP.
For me, the K-70, with it's fully articulated screen, more powerful flash and (slightly) longer battery life is a preferred camera in many ways.
I too have never used the Scene Modes 'in camera'. I can apply most of the effects with the Pentax-supplied Digital Camera Utility software on my computer if I want them.
I "upgraded" to the KP for the superior a/f capabilities, and in this case it serves well, but, as with the extended low light capabilities and high-speed electronic shutter, only of use if you want/need the features.
Compared to my other Pentax bodies (K-01 excluded) the KP's ergonomics are "different", so picking it up requires a certain amount of "finger-memory reprogramming".
I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Enjoy
11-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #22

Thanks for the feedback

To those of you who supplied feedback on my post regarding the KP/K70, thanks very much. Your comments are appreciated. Interesting note about purchasing extra warranty. I have never had a serious problem with any of my previous Pentax models, having had a few models (film and digital) for well over 20 years. (I was a Minolta user before Pentax).

11-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some models starting with the K-30 of some years ago and including the current K-70 to a lesser extent, are subject to aperture control failure, due to a different supplier being used for the solenoid. If it happens and the problem is repaired, it is usually replaced with the same part which is again subject to this failure. The better way to make the repair is to use a solenoid out of an old camera model made when this part was from the previous supplier, which is no longer available new. The flagship level cameras such as the K-5 series, K-3 series, and the KP do not use this system or part, therefore do not have any such issue.

You might have an old Pentax camera which contains the old reliable solenoid.
11-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Some models starting with the K-30 of some years ago and including the current K-70 to a lesser extent, are subject to aperture control failure, due to a different supplier being used for the solenoid. If it happens and the problem is repaired, it is usually replaced with the same part which is again subject to this failure. The better way to make the repair is to use a solenoid out of an old camera model made when this part was from the previous supplier, which is no longer available new. The flagship level cameras such as the K-5 series, K-3 series, and the KP do not use this system or part, therefore do not have any such issue.

You might have an old Pentax camera which contains the old reliable solenoid.
I believe it's been established that the likelihood of that new under-warranty K-70 with a revised solenoid suffering the same fate as the old K-30 from years back is pretty darn low. At best it's a toss-up between a highly regarded but used out-of-production camera and a brand-new under-warranty current Pentax model. We do her a disservice to imply she should worry unjustly about her new camera.

Oh, and welcome to your new Pentax gear whatever your choice Susan. There's a whole community here supporting you.
11-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, after she said she has had so many years of worry-free service from her old Pentax cameras and expects the same now, I thought it fair that she should be aware of this issue. I do not feel there is any injustice in revealing what has been ongoing, quite to the contrary- nothing should remain hidden. I still own my K-S2 without any problems (knocking on wood) though only with occasional use, which is supposed to be worse for inducing this problem, and knew of this issue when I bought it new in a deal after the K-70 came out. So I was not flying blind either. I am for advising any prospective buyer of all of the facts. Due to its substantial advancements, I bought my K-S2 to replace my K-r as my most lightweight model, even though the K-r does not have this issue. It seems the revised solenoid of the K-70, if it is indeed revised, has not completely solved this problem, as we do still see it surface from time to time from K-70 owners here in this forum. And it is true the other models I mentioned do not have this problem- she should be given knowledge of that. I also located a new KP through amazon.

I believe I was being very fair to the K-70 in my remarks.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-19-2021 at 03:44 PM.
11-19-2021, 05:26 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had my K-70 for 2 ½ years and 50k+ actuations, it's been aces.

11-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the 55-300 PLM is supposed to live on the camera, the potential solenoid failure in a K-70 becomes a non-issue. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that combo to anyone looking for a very capable, reliable, lightweight camera and lens combination.
11-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If moving subject a/f is a criteria then the KP is the choice … other than that the K-70 is overall more flexible (pun intended!) and has a more powerful flash.
The KP with the small grip fitted makes for a nice point-&-shoot combination with an 18-50mm WR RE or similar fitted … with an x-300mm I'd probably want a bigger grip, but it's a personal choice.
The 20gm weight difference isn't noticeable in practice and although the tape measure shows the K-70 to be overall slightly smaller, the KP still feels more compact in the hand unless it's got the big grip fitted.
The K-70 does have (slightly but noticeable) better battery life … for me, a spare battery in the pocket is a sensible precaution for either camera.
I find I cannot use my KP at any temp below about -3C without strapping on the battery grip. K-70 handles down to -10C pretty OK. Living in a subarctic maritime environment which hovers around this range for much of the year this is a real issue for me. Maybe not for others.

The K-70 is VERY capable. The KP has some advantages.
11-22-2021, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well we now have a nice change. I bought the 150-450 for a decent price. Once it arrives, I'll most likely be selling the Sigma to offset some of the cost but not sure if I'll do it right away or not. The 150-450 will go on the KP and the PLM will most likely spend its life on the K-70 except for the times when we go places that the big lens isnt needed. Then the PLM will goto the KP for the day.
11-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I find I cannot use my KP at any temp below about -3C without strapping on the battery grip. K-70 handles down to -10C pretty OK. Living in a subarctic maritime environment which hovers around this range for much of the year this is a real issue for me. Maybe not for others.

The K-70 is VERY capable. The KP has some advantages.
This difference is probably due to magnesium alloy metal construction vs. polycarbonate construction for the K-70. Metal tends to not be as much of a barrier against temperature as is polycarbonate.