Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
why not check the marketplace here? I believe there are a couple of k10d or k100d's there. There was a "new" k100d there previously for $300 IIRC
It was a K100DS no less. For $300 with kit lens that's the bargain of a photographic lifetime.

12-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My take on the 28-300mm

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I was looking at this lens............what do you think? Looking for an "all in one" lens for now.

Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 AF XR Di LD For Pentax

Thank you.

vmax84

Tamron | 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di Autofocus Lens | AF061P700
It's a OK "all 'round" lens for the mostly casual shooter. Don't own it myself but I have borrowed a friend's to see if I wanted it as a "travel" lens, and it's fairly soft at 250mm plus. I think the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 is a MUCH better lens. I own it, and it is pretty much my "walk around lens". The downside of course, is that it only gets out to 75mm. The pluses are: Tack sharp across the entire zoom range, fast constant F2.8 aperature, and relatively compact (compared with the 28-300 anyway!) You mentioned that she is on the Yearbook club, I think a faster shorter zoom would be a better fit for many of the candid shots she might want to take. Here is a link to what people here think about the Tamron 28-75 F2.8.
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - Macro SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD

NaCl(about the same price, and you can tell her it's a "professional quality" lens )H2O
12-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I was looking at this lens............what do you think? Looking for an "all in one" lens for now.

If I were looking to have a lens that tried to be an "all in one", I'd make sure it actually did wide angle - this doesn't. You're far better off with an 18-250 or 18-200 (cheaper than the 18-250, but not quite as good from the reviews). Unless she's specifically into wildlife primarily, the extra reach of the 28-300 at the long end won't be nearly as useful the 18-28 range.
12-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I would like to stay with Pentax, but what body do I get her?
Pentax K-m from Prodigital2000 at USD 370,-.
There is no sexier DSLR for a 14yo girl

12-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As much as I enjoy using long telephoto lenses, the one lens I use more that all my others combined is my Pentax 16-45. Sharp, fast enough (f4) for most of my uses, and a good close up lens when my macro lens isn't readily available.

OTOH, I convinced my sister and a neighbor to buy the Pentax/Tamron 18-250 (one in Pentax mount - one in Nikon mount) and they both love it.
12-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ever since my K100d arrived on the scene a few months ago, my 14 year daughter has really enjoyed using it......probably more than I do!! She's a great kid, polite, well mannered, does very good with her academic work taking the hardest classess offered, blah blah blah.

Anyway, now what do I do? The K100d's have all but dried up. I would like to stay with Pentax, but what body do I get her?

Your thoughts appreciated!!

vmax84
Here's my 2 cents.

There are far worse things for kids to get interested in so like this should be actively encouraged. In my opinion, as much as it may hurt my wallet, I have decided there are some things I don't question when my own kids want something. These are:
  • When they want to buy a book. We have lots of books in our house.
  • When they ask to eat fruit or healthy food as a snack instead of junk food.
  • When they want to take pictures. I bought my 2 kids
    digital p&s cameras a couple years ago when they were 3 and 6 years old. It's turned out to be a great gift. They treat their cameras properly and don't abuse them, they take them everywhere, and they even use tripods to make images.

I don't automatically give my kids whatever they want. I usually negotiate, something along the lines of "if you do really well in your school projects this year then I'll see what I can do". I freely admit this is in-your-face bribery, but it works for me. Your mileage may vary.
12-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Here's my 2 cents.

There are far worse things for kids to get interested in so like this should be actively encouraged. In my opinion, as much as it may hurt my wallet, I have decided there are some things I don't question when my own kids want something. These are:
  • When they want to buy a book. We have lots of books in our house.
  • When they ask to eat fruit or healthy food as a snack instead of junk food.
  • When they want to take pictures. I bought my 2 kids
    digital p&s cameras a couple years ago when they were 3 and 6 years old. It's turned out to be a great gift. They treat their cameras properly and don't abuse them, they take them everywhere, and they even use tripods to make images.

I don't automatically give my kids whatever they want. I usually negotiate, something along the lines of "if you do really well in your school projects this year then I'll see what I can do". I freely admit this is in-your-face bribery, but it works for me. Your mileage may vary.

You could easily be a top contender for "Dad of the Year". You have great guidelines!!

And thanks again for all the replies. Now I need to "let the dust settle" and get this figured out.

vmax84

12-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

For just a little more money, you could get one of these:
21697 Pentax SMCP-DA 18mm - 250mm f/3.5-6.3 AL (IF) Autofocus Zoom Lens for Digital SLRs.
Out of the superzooms, it's considered the most highly regarded.

BTW, I say treat yourself to a new (or gently used) K200 and pass along the K100 to the daughter. You ought to go on Fleabay and check out Prodigital 2000, as their bodies have been going for crazy cheap prices, as of late.

I also like shooting with my dad, also. What's funny is that I got my first DSLR before he did; I shoot Pentax and he shoots Canon--go figure.

HTH,
Heather
12-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #24
eclipsed450

k100ds body from wolf camera here in ga is only $350, $450 w/ kit lens
12-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day Vmax84 (...Yamaha VMax perhaps?..nice bike).

For what it is worth, I offer my opinion. Why not get the K200D or 2000, whichever fits the budget the best...do not buy old/secondhand technology, you will only regret it.

Do you have the 50mm f1.4 in your kit? if not then get that. Otherwise something like the Tamron 28-75 is highly regarded as is the Sigma 17-70 or 24-60f2.8. Avoid the superzooms, too many compromises. If the budget can stretch to a prime check out the 43Ltd.

I would also offer that it does not necessarily matter who "owns" what camera in the household, let the "kit" become the families "kit", where whoever can take whatever combination best suits the need.

I think you are to be commended for encouraging your daughter down this track, but my only caution is do it properly so as she gets the results she is capable of.
Cheers.
12-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
G'day Vmax84 (...Yamaha VMax perhaps?..nice bike).

For what it is worth, I offer my opinion. Why not get the K200D or 2000, whichever fits the budget the best...do not buy old/secondhand technology, you will only regret it.

Do you have the 50mm f1.4 in your kit? if not then get that. Otherwise something like the Tamron 28-75 is highly regarded as is the Sigma 17-70 or 24-60f2.8. Avoid the superzooms, too many compromises. If the budget can stretch to a prime check out the 43Ltd.

I would also offer that it does not necessarily matter who "owns" what camera in the household, let the "kit" become the families "kit", where whoever can take whatever combination best suits the need.

I think you are to be commended for encouraging your daughter down this track, but my only caution is do it properly so as she gets the results she is capable of.
Cheers.

84 Vmax............long since gone. Pic was taken long, long time ago.

12-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Perhaps you should look at getting a used K10D or even a new K20D. A lot cheaper these days. When the K20D replacement (K30D?) comes out, there probably will be a lot of K20Ds getting turned in. I was thinking of getting a used DS from keh.com for conversion to IR use.
12-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you.

vmax84

Tamron | 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di Autofocus Lens | AF061P700
For you or for your daughter?

If you are shopping for her, you might consider size/weight. When I bought my daughter her K10D (college graduation), I included a Tokina 19-35 (plastic fantastic) to cover the wide end. The Tokina is a large (77mm filter!) and fairly heavy tool. I feel guilty whenever I see her using it and hope that she never expresses the desire to try my Pentax 18-55 kit .

Steve