Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I've created a monster!! My 14 year old daughter now wants a DSLR!!

Ever since my K100d arrived on the scene a few months ago, my 14 year daughter has really enjoyed using it......probably more than I do!! She's a great kid, polite, well mannered, does very good with her academic work taking the hardest classess offered, blah blah blah.

Anyway, now what do I do? The K100d's have all but dried up. I would like to stay with Pentax, but what body do I get her?

Your thoughts appreciated!!

vmax84

12-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was just testing the water with her when I said, "Steph, you'd probably be happy with one of those 100 dollar point and shoot cameras, right?"

Oh man, you should have seen the look on her face!!

"DSLR or nothing, Dad!!!"

vmax84
12-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
Damn Brit

K2000 or K200 would be good ideas. Is it possible you could buy a new camera for yourself and pass the K100 to your daughter? I only say that because she is used to the K100.
It will be great for the two of you if she does have her own camera, you can go out shooting together and share lenses.
12-05-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
K2000 or K200 would be good ideas. Is it possible you could buy a new camera for yourself and pass the K100 to your daughter? I only say that because she is used to the K100.
It will be great for the two of you if she does have her own camera, you can go out shooting together and share lenses.
Those are good ideas, although I'm perfectly fine with her having a better camera than me. I think she would be happy with my used K100d, but there's a lot of fun watching them rip open a box of something new, so I want to get her something new.

Or, maybe find her a good used K100d.........I just don't want to give her my camera. Something "new" that is old I think would work too, and then come up with a lens as well.

But yeah, her Yearbook class that she is in, she's kinda like the "king" there, since she knows all about aperture, ISO, etc. She likes the flexibility with the "big" cameras and she is picking it up fast.

vmax84

12-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are there any rebates right now that might fit my needs that anybody knows about?

vmax84
12-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

why not check the marketplace here? I believe there are a couple of k10d or k100d's there. There was a "new" k100d there previously for $300 IIRC
or try eBay?
12-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ha, that's really neat.

I'd suggest getting her a new K100D from here. I see them every day.

12-06-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
Those are good ideas, although I'm perfectly fine with her having a better camera than me. I think she would be happy with my used K100d, but there's a lot of fun watching them rip open a box of something new, so I want to get her something new.

Or, maybe find her a good used K100d.........I just don't want to give her my camera. Something "new" that is old I think would work too, and then come up with a lens as well.

But yeah, her Yearbook class that she is in, she's kinda like the "king" there, since she knows all about aperture, ISO, etc. She likes the flexibility with the "big" cameras and she is picking it up fast.

vmax84
I hear you on the opening a box with something new in it but you could always buy a new lens to go with it.
I think it would be a shame if you bought another K100, it's nice to have two different bodies to work with, each have their own strengths and weaknesses. How about a used K10d, it's an upgrade and will help with the transition to future upgrades?
12-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VMAX84, I gave my 10 y.o. daughter Uma my K100D Super , Mk. II kits kens, bag & RCR-V3 rechargeable Li-ion batteries as her 10th birthday present when I upgraded to a K20D.

It is really, really cool when she come on an early morning (5.30 am) shoot with me. That's my idea of "quality time". My 6 y.o. boy Kaiea sometimes comes with me, but he only shoots mini-DV at the moment. Still, it makes him feel important when he stand besides dad & his tripod, with his video cam & tripod.

Here's a shot of Uma's that I considered was good enough to get professionally printed:

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 12-06-2008 at 01:56 AM.
12-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dosdan, great shot from your daughter! I don't think i can do better myself.

I can sorta relate to this "creating a monster" thingy. My wife always follow me wherever i take photos and soon enuf, she started to ask me if she could borrow my k100D for her own shots and in no time at all, she has requested me to get her a DSLR! hahahahaha

This business is definitely infectious!
12-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These days the Kids outshine us (older variety)so why not ,if only we can expand as much as them.......

Cheers
12-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I can not think of a better way to keep the Pentax brand going than handing it over to the next generation. My wife and I both shoot Pentax! Which our Kids will get handed over to in the near future! Pentax gear is made to last forever LOL.... Our 5 year old daughter is already showing an intrest in getting at the controls of the camera..

Dan great shoot from your Daughter! Totally agree about the quality time!
12-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate all the feedback. One thing I have to keep in mind this year (I guess more so this year than previous) is staying within a budget. I am fortunate to still have a job, unlike a lot of folks here in Michigan. The small cargo plane I fly at the end of the year will no longer be based in my hometown, but my company was good enough to find me another run to fly. It takes me further away from home and will cost me a little money on commuting, but I feel very fortunate to still be working.

Anyway, enough of that drival. Again, thanks for your feedback. I do like the idea of giving her my K100D and then getting her a good lens (I have one already in mind!!). I'll have to think about that one.

But then I need to go find a camera body for myself.............darn it!!

vmax84

Here's a shot from what I do for a living.......yeah, I fly the small plane. Oh well. It's a lot of fun and pays the bills. The guys flying the big plane make all the money.

12-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
VMAX84, I gave my 10 y.o. daughter Uma my K100D Super , Mk. II kits kens, bag & RCR-V3 rechargeable Li-ion batteries as her 10th birthday present when I upgraded to a K20D.

It is really, really cool when she come on an early morning (5.30 am) shoot with me. That's my idea of "quality time". My 6 y.o. boy Kaiea sometimes comes with me, but he only shoots mini-DV at the moment. Still, it makes him feel important when he stand besides dad & his tripod, with his video cam & tripod.

Here's a shot of Uma's that I considered was good enough to get professionally printed:

Dan.

Man, that is a great shot!! She is picking up the art fast, huh?!!

vmax84
12-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was looking at this lens............what do you think? Looking for an "all in one" lens for now.

Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 AF XR Di LD For Pentax

Thank you.

vmax84

Tamron | 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di Autofocus Lens | AF061P700