Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #1

IR converting an K110D

Hi

I have been thinking abaut converting, a brand new K110D I have, from an hmm, leight night Ebay acident.

Ive got some links to check, but still have som qestions before I start.

1. Do I need an internal IR filter, cut to fit where the filter I remove is? Ore can I use an eksternal IR filter?
2. If I need an internal filter, is there anywhere i can buy an filter in the right size?
3. Witch IR filter is best? 680nm or 720nm IR filter? What is the diferent's?

Is there anything else I shud think of? that is relevant to converting the K110D?

Got some good links from ShadZee in an other tread.

*.[ www.xdeltax.com ]

infrared-conversion-ist-ds-ist-dl.html

frank-help-ir.html

So as I can se, the xdeltax-alt/tutirmodding/index.html and than from step 11 use this one infrared-conversion-ist-ds-ist-dl.html

So if anyone have any tips, and tricks pleas let me know
And also answers to my questions.

ITW

12-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I have fond memories of a few days I spent in Norway.

I removed the filter from my K110D over a year ago.

A few suggestions if you do it yourself:

Watch out for the memory door open switch which oddly is on the main board. I broke it off and it took a long time to realize what I had done since the door is on the plastic shell and the board looked fine without the switch. I sent the camera to Pentax for repair, cost me $212 US for a camera that was only a week old. No regrets though, the K110D is amazing at IR (1/1000 second or faster in daylight).

The internal cables are delicate and I damaged them by opening and closing the camera while troubleshooting the missing switch.

I did not replace the filter since I use external filters for IR pass (Hoya R720) and IR block (Baader) for Astronomy. At that time I could not find anyone who sold clear glass filters for Pentax. A filterless camera like mine has trouble focusing at infinity with some modern lenses. Oddly, my manual K1000 lenses have enough range to focus and of course my telescopes will focus at least to 100 million light years.

There are now a few people who modify Pentaxs if you decide to have it done. Be careful to read their policy about what happens if the camera fails during the modification.

There are many IR threads on this forum. They are hard to find since you can't search for two letters. Search for infrared which I try and add to each new thread. You will find one thread where I listed other IR threads that can't be found with a search.

The numbers on the IR filters are wavelengths in nanometers. 680 is just below red, 720 is most popular, 900 is far into IR. One difference is how much visible light you want to leak in, many people prefer to have some natural color rather than show IR photos in B&W. I've only used 720 which looks black in the viewfinder but allows some visible light to reach the blue and green sensors.
12-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
ITW

Original Poster
Thx fore the replay.

But if I set an internal 720 IR filter, that is cut to the right size, I will be capable to use my viewfinder right?

And than the only question is, where do I buy an Ir filter cut to fit my K110d...?
12-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ITW Quote
Thx fore the replay.

But if I set an internal 720 IR filter, that is cut to the right size, I will be capable to use my viewfinder right?

And than the only question is, where do I buy an Ir filter cut to fit my K110d...?
With any sharp cutoff IR pass filter you won't see much of anything in the viewfinder. With the internal IR block filter removed the camera will see plenty of light through an R720. What I do is: Frame and focus shot with my Hoya R720 removed. Carefully screw on filter. Take test shots to fine tune focus. Take final shot. I wonder, does the K20 Live View show a bright image with an IR filter???

The advantage of an external filter is you can use the viewfinder to frame shot as I do. The disadvantage is autofocus will be a bit off and some lenses won't focus to infinity, though most use manual focus lenses with IR anyway. The advantage of an internal clear filter is the focus is correct and you can use the camera for normal color with the right external filter, and you can photograph astronomical Hydrogen alpha nebulas. The advantage of an internal IR filter is you have a simple dedicated IR only camera.

If you search this forum for infrared there is a LOT of information on IR with Pentax DSLRs including companies that have filters for the Pentax. I could not find any back when I modified my K110D so my only choice was no internal filter. If I had to do it over I'd get a clear internal filter.

BTW: You will find a couple of messages from others who modified cameras themselves and failed. One even had the same memory door open symptoms I had. What someone replied was there is a hidden option to disable the door open switch. If I knew that I would have saved a $200+ repair since I don't need that option. After all, no other camera I've used shuts down when the memory door is open!

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 12-09-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Adjusted a sentence
12-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
ITW

Original Poster
I will remember to disable the memoty door.

Ive got the hold of somone on the forum, that are selling me an internal IR filter 720nm, so Im going with that.
Seence I have an GX-10 and an K100D aslo i dont need the K110D to do anything else than shoot IR..
12-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ITW Quote
I will remember to disable the memoty door.

Ive got the hold of somone on the forum, that are selling me an internal IR filter 720nm, so Im going with that.
Seence I have an GX-10 and an K100D aslo i dont need the K110D to do anything else than shoot IR..
Good to hear you found a filter!

I only mentioned disabling the door switch IF you have door open symptoms you can't fix otherwise. You can view the symptoms by turning your good camera on with the door open. The top display goes on about 2 seconds then the camera plays dead. If there is a cartridge installed you will see frames left, briefly. It scared me a bit when my brand new K100D came up dead. It was dark and I did not see the door hanging open. Everyone should know what door open looks like in case it happens in actual use.

Hopefully with the info gathered from this forum you won't have any problems changing the filter. If I knew then what I know now I would not have had a problem. If I could buy a clear filter at that time I would have.

Bottom line is I have a multi function K110D that can do IR and astro much better than my K100D. I did not buy the external filter to use it for daytime photography as well since I have my K100D.